Marathon Bombing and Shootout After Action Report | MassCops

Marathon Bombing and Shootout After Action Report

Discussion in 'War Stories' started by Hush, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Midway through reading now, its definitely something to peruse.
    http://www.wcvb.com/blob/view/-/32176196/data/3/-/4n9k3vz/-/Watertown-After-Action-Report.pdf

Of interest to me was the events of the shootout in Watertown and what went right/wrong. The first thing that jumped out at me was:
    "The officers unsuccessfully attempted to
    remove their patrol rifles from the secure mounts in their vehicles, and returned fire with their
    handguns."
    Reading firsthand discussions of patrol rifle employment across the country is the importance of having the rifle ready BEFORE affiving at the scene. That means cabin mounts are vastly superior to trunk storage, but also have their drawbacks. Training should include retrieving, charging, and slinging the rifle while driving so it can be immediately deployed at the scene. This event occured very quickly once the officer made the initial contact, but imagine the advantage of the Sgt having 30 rounds of 5.56 from a braced firing position on the dashboard...such as the EPO did during the West Memphis Arkansas shootout with the cop killers.
    I don't know whether its policy or mindset that keeps rifles from being employed more often around here, but an armed carjacking suspect would certainly warrant a long gun in my mind (or shotgun...slugs are great on auto glass!) even better if it has a high intensity weapon light mounted (WHICH IT ABSOLUTELY SHOULD).

TacEntry and Goose like this.
  2. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

Obviously I have little to no LEO tactic training, but in this case, wouldn't a high intensity weapon light be a disadvantage? To me, it seems like that would almost give away the position of the officers? Or at least give the suspects a better idea of where to aim?

3. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Only if you're using it indoors and you blind yourself with the reflection off the walls. Try these three things...take a traditional Mag-lite outdoors and look at a tree 50 or 100 yards away with the flashlight, then take a good LED flashlight with 300 lumens and do the same thing. After that, look into the LED flashlight for half a second then check out your night vision. :)

visible25 likes this.
  4. Hush

Cops are always going to need lights at night for target ID most importantly, and target acquisition secondary. Most use a handleld light and one handed firing grip, much less stable firing position. Weapon lights allow a normal 2 handed grip. The brighter the light, the more you can see. Also, can distract or temporarily blind the bad guy. They have proven to be a necessity on a fighting gun, with very few detriments. The complaint from administrators about weapon lights is that they get used as search lights, which means pointing a gun at everything you look at....a big NO, as even with a weapon light a handheld backup light is still essentials.

As to your concern of bad guys shooting at lights....a valid point and one addressed by the FBI flashlight technique of holding the flashlight above your head and to the left (or right with a straight arm). Not impossible to outsmart, but a proven and valid technique, and again proves the need for a backup handheld light.

5. Goose

You mean I'm not supposed to draw my pistol and use it with the tac light to direct traffic?? WTH...

6. Hush

I am POSTITVE that has been done at least once somewhere, probably more than once.

Mr Scribbles, mpd61 and Goose like this.
  7. Goose

As am I. I sent you pictures of what happened to my tac light but that was a different situation altogether. ;)

Hush likes this.
  8. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

Yes ^^^^
    Every time you pull the patrol rifle out of the mount - make it a training event - not just an administrative task.
    Think like this warrior out in New Mexico- watch the video:

http://www.policeone.com/body-camer...-shooting-of-cop-killer-captured-on-body-cam/

Goose and Hush like this.
  9. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

That is a very interesting read. It seemed to condense and gloss over some of the rumored issues that have been going around since the incidents, but on the whole it was a good operational how too for the next big deal. The Logistics Officer issue is a big one. Someone needs to take control of the resources that respond, but all in all, the Mass. LE Community and Public Saftey in general did a fantatstic job, under unreal pressures. Boston EMS really came out looking fantastic. Good Job by all. Now lets get this turd sentenced to death!!

mpd61, LGriffin, GARDA and 1 other person like this.
  10. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Just finished it and forwarded it to others on the Command Staff, and posted it to our internal share for all officers and civilians to read.

Takeaways, as best I can recall from my notes at work:
    Every officer should have a tourniquet
    Practice retrieving rifle from rack while driving
    Logistics Chief to manage incoming resources
    Dispatch has to repeatedly broadcast reminders to keep access routes clear
    Fire discipline - cross-fire and contagious fire

11. Mr Scribbles

Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

And OH BOY has our Command Staff gone all gung ho on this one.
    Still no tourniquet kit
    Still no patrol rifles
    Still no Logistic Officer (to be fair, I'm sure there is one assigned to keep all the Command Staff from getting lost, fed and watered, as well as supply them with fresh batteries so they can clog up the radio)
    Thanks, MASSCOPS,now I'm all angry on my day off...

Yes Hush, that's the exact reason we've been told we can't have those;)

Goose and pahapoika like this.
  12. Hush

Get your own tourniquet...or better yet. Two! Instructions are online, find some Boston EMS guys on break and have them walk you through it.
    As for rifle.....better to beg forgiveness than ask permission right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Hush

I was in Woburn watching the news of the shooting, when everyone started peeling out towards Watertown. At that moment, I got a call from Winchester to Mt Auburn.....suddenly didn't feel silly bringing my vest to work. Never tossed a patient on and off the stretcher faster, and headed towards Watertown. Posted up on the perimeter, and sat with my foot on the brake until 6 am hoping shitbag would cross the street in front of me. After the bombing Monday, I packed a bag with tourniquets, IV supplies and quick clot, mags, vest, lights, and radio batteries. Felt silly most of the week as my job is about as close to the action as mall security, but was glad I had it that night.

Goose and BxDetSgt like this.
  14. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Was on the phone with a BPD friend when Collier came over radio. spent all night hoping everyone was OK. Early next am got info that put is overdrive down here. What a week.

15. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Well, we just submitted out purchase order for these:
    https://www.narescue.com/portal.aspx?CN=9ECE8D8243CB kits for every officer - CAT-T, Quik-Clot, Pressure Dressing.

As well as these:
    https://www.narescue.com/portal.aspx?CN=8D37D4DB1272&BC=03D65919088F for every vehicle and some extras for large events (football games, etc.) - Same as above, plus chest seal and airway.

Hope to have a Tabletop exercise at every campus this summer, and perhaps a full-on force on force drill this winter break. The state EMA has an exercise bureau that is working to design it for us.

16. Hush

Outstanding!!!!! You guys will be well equipped. These are terrific self-aid kits. Make sure to get some HANDS ON training on it's use. TCCC classes can be hosted for FREE (check NAEMT, and I'll do some looking too). Ideally, have a policy that their carry is mandatory, and in a specific location. If you need to aid a wounded officer, you use HIS kit on him, your kit is for you and you never know if you will be the next casualty. Your department has already significantly increased your officers chances for survival!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk