Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MANSFIELD - A police officer accused of driving drunk and leaving the scene of two accidents has been suspended without pay for at least one year.

Patrolman William Kelly was suspended by Police Chief Arthur O'Neill following a disciplinary hearing on Tuesday.

"It was an unfortunate and embarrassing incident for the police department," O'Neill said.

Kelly had been on paid administrative leave following an incident that occurred shortly after midnight on Oct. 11. Police allege Kelly sideswiped a parked car in front of the fire station at 291 North Main St. and left the scene before hitting a fire hydrant in front of 375 West St.

Police said they followed skid marks from the accident scene to the West Village apartment complex at 792 West St., about two miles away, where Kelly's truck was found to have substantial damage. No injuries were reported in either accident.

Kelly was not located until much later that morning and did not answer his door, police said. He was issued a citation, but was not arrested.

Kelly was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, driving to endanger and leaving the scene of an accident resulting in property damage.

He has appealed the charges and has a show-cause hearing scheduled in Attleboro District Court on Thursday.

Neither Kelly nor his lawyer could be reached by The Sun Chronicle for comment Tuesday.

The suspension took effect immediately and Kelly will be eligible to return to the force in one year, provided he meets requirements set forth by O'Neill, which the chief did not wish to discuss publicly.

"We feel we've handled it properly and are ready to move on from here," O'Neill said.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles/2008/10/29/news/3854946.txt

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Probation for ex-cop in Mansfield crash

MANSFIELD - A former local police officer was placed on probation and ordered to pay $500 restitution Friday after admitting to drunken driving and leaving the scene of an accident with property damage three years ago.

William Kelly, 37, who was off-duty at the time of the Oct. 11, 2008 incident, admitted in Taunton District Court that prosecutors had sufficient facts to find him guilty and was also ordered to participate in an alcohol driver education program.

The case was continued without a finding for one year with probation which is typical for a first offender like Kelly, Gregg Miliote, a spokesman for Bristol County District Attorney Sam Sutter.

"This is the standard disposition for a first offender OUI," Miliote said. He was treated as any other defendant."

Full Story:
Probation for ex-cop in Mansfield crash - The Sun Chronicle Online - News

·
5,985 Posts
"This is the standard disposition for a first offender OUI," Miliote said. He was treated as any other defendant."
Really ? I thought the standard disposition for an OUI case was CWOF ? They really crack the whip in Attleboro. In Hampden or Hampshire County OUI is considered a victimless crime and not worthy of inconveniencing the defendant.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
MANSFIELD -
Police said they followed skid marks from the accident scene to the West Village apartment complex at 792 West St., about two miles away, where Kelly's truck was found to have substantial damage. No injuries were reported in either accident.

Kelly was not located until much later that morning and did not answer his door, police said. He was issued a citation, but was not arrested.
So where are the sufficient facts for OUI? Skidmarks to a truck with no operation, no observations, no SFST's, no BT, and the dude is found the next day.

A civilian located the day after a crash and then charged with OUI and the soft ADA's bail on that charge almost instantly. This guy pleads to sufficient facts? Maybe for leaving the scene, but (as far as we know) with nothing more than a banged up truck, why not a bench trial?

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
So where are the sufficient facts for OUI? Skidmarks to a truck with no operation, no observations, no SFST's, no BT, and the dude is found the next day.

A civilian located the day after a crash and then charged with OUI and the soft ADA's bail on that charge almost instantly. This guy pleads to sufficient facts? Maybe for leaving the scene, but (as far as we know) with nothing more than a banged up truck, why not a bench trial?
Took the words right out of my mouth. I do ALOT of OUI enforcement.

Let's review.

Public way CHECK

Operation Ummm proved how?

Under Influence The next morning? HAHAHAHAHAHAH Goog Luck

Not defending this guy mind you. If he did this, he is a fool. But the charges are a stretch. I could never charge a CIVILIAN with this based simply on the accident. What if someone else was driving?

·
...---...
1,620 Posts
I'm sure he told the truth so he wouldn't lose his job. He made out ok here.
If you read the article , he did lose his job, I almost missed that. He made out ok in the sense he didn't kill anyone or himself that night, but who the hell was his lawyer, Jackie Chiles from Seinfeld? I agree with 26, NG all the way on this if it was a civilian.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
but who the hell was his lawyer, Jackie Chiles from Seinfeld?.
Kevin Reddington I think. Never gone against him but I hear he's no slouch.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Reddington?

Something must have happened in this guys life between then and now - Reddington gets killers off on his BAD days. Why fold him on this one?
Sounds weird right?

·
...---...
1,620 Posts
I've met Kevin Reddington in court as well as on the job, I'll stick with the old adage "if you have nothing good to say.....", on this site.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
I counter with a Robert Sheketoff.
Steve Jones.

---------- Post added at 15:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

I wish I remembered the guy's name that asked me on the stand, during a JURY trial, how I got his clients booking information. I replied it was on his BOP. He then asked, with a straight face, "Whats a BOP?"

I smiled at the ADA, who discreetly nodded, then I looked at the jury, and I answered, "its the defendant's previous criminal record."

:banghead:

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
Steve Jones.

---------- Post added at 15:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

I wish I remembered the guy's name that asked me on the stand, during a JURY trial, how I got his clients booking information. I replied it was on his BOP. He then asked, with a straight face, "Whats a BOP?"
:
Sometimes they're are asking that to see if you actually know the acronym. I've heard horror stories about cops on the stand not known what they stand for then the defense attorney tries to make us look like idiots on the stand, it's especially effective in jury trials.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Sometimes they're are asking that to see if you actually know the acronym. I've heard horror stories about cops on the stand not known what they stand for then the defense attorney tries to make us look like idiots on the stand, it's especially effective in jury trials.
No no...this guy was a corporate lawyer doing a favor on a OUI 1st. He genuinely had no idea what a BOP was. Then he was mad that I told him (and the jury). The judge said "You asked the question."

This is the same attorney that argued with me about what three SFST's I gave. He understood the walk/turn, and 1 leg stand. He kept pressing about the third. So I told him it was HGN. Then he wanted to know more. The judge put a stop to it before I could testify about it.

·
Yeah, THAT GUY!
2,728 Posts
No no...this guy was a corporate lawyer doing a favor on a OUI 1st. He genuinely had no idea what a BOP was. Then he was mad that I told him (and the jury). The judge said "You asked the question."

This is the same attorney that argued with me about what three SFST's I gave. He understood the walk/turn, and 1 leg stand. He kept pressing about the third. So I told him it was HGN. Then he wanted to know more. The judge put a stop to it before I could testify about it.
Some favor. But the judge hooked him up. What was the disposition? Can't say it wasn't hard to be amused.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts