Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

MassCops Founder
Forced over or forced in....

Forced over?

We have 9 dispatchers two per shift, we are allowed to go down 1 dispatcher and two officers per shift. If we are down a dispatcher but have more than the minimum on the street we pull an officer to ride the pine. If we are at the minimum on the street we call for a dispatch extra, if still unfilled we call the officers for a dispatch extra, if yet still no takers the junior dispatcher gets forced over.

Depending on the CO if you answer your phone and kindly say thanks but no thanks you might find yourself ordered in. (they went through the list and you where the only idiot to actually answer the phone) Has happened to me on a few occasions. :x

I don't know of any that don't have forced overtime at least once an a while.

MassCops Founder
Re: mandatory overtime and contract info

Coops320 said:
Really I am more looking for the legality of forced over time or mandatory overtime. I have been told that Dispatchers are not considered emergency workers like police officers, fire fighters, doctors, nurses etc. Therefore legally we can not be forced to work overtime.
When I was dispatching I was told that dispatchers are emergency workers (per dept policy maybe) and could be forced over or in and have been many times.

Coops320 said:
Also to be a dispatcher in my town we are all 911 state certified and a police officer could not sit in and do the job as they are not 911 certified, not to mention they couldn't make heads or tails of the CAD system.
Most if not all of the officers that get called to ride the pine are 911 certified and are trained to use the CAD system.

MassCops Founder
If your chief considers you an emergency worker and you like your job I guess that is what matters.

As far as an actual decision on the state level, I am unsure of any.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.