Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what departments have mandatory overtime shift for dispatch. Actually I am curious about the departments that don't have it and how they got around it. Mostly looking for contract information you think is great at your department, can you work details, pay scales, vacation days and such. I think it would be nice to start a thread to help dispatchers in their negotiations. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Forced over or forced in....

Forced over?

We have 9 dispatchers two per shift, we are allowed to go down 1 dispatcher and two officers per shift. If we are down a dispatcher but have more than the minimum on the street we pull an officer to ride the pine. If we are at the minimum on the street we call for a dispatch extra, if still unfilled we call the officers for a dispatch extra, if yet still no takers the junior dispatcher gets forced over.

Depending on the CO if you answer your phone and kindly say thanks but no thanks you might find yourself ordered in. (they went through the list and you where the only idiot to actually answer the phone) Has happened to me on a few occasions. :x

I don't know of any that don't have forced overtime at least once an a while.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really I am more looking for the legality of forced over time or mandatory overtime. I have been told that Dispatchers are not considered emergency workers like police officers, fire fighters, doctors, nurses etc. Therefore legally we can not be forced to work overtime. Does anyone have any background in this. Also to be a dispatcher in my town we are all 911 state certified and a police officer could not sit in and do the job as they are not 911 certified, not to mention they couldn't make heads or tails of the CAD system.

·
Registered
447 Posts
OVERTIME?

What is that. For the past 4 months no dispatcher has been given any extra hours. My dept is putting officer on the pine at time and 1/2 but we are not offered anything. I was offered 4 hours last month but they took it away from me and gave it to badge #3 (one of the senior men and pay) and time and 1/2.

The few part time dispatchers we have are also not getting called. I have not seen any of them in months. I wonder if they are still employed.

So I wonder if we (the last 3 dispatchers) are being faised out? hmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow...sounds like you need better representation at your contract bargaining agreements. Have you guys looked at getting into a union or legal representation. I would definatly like to see more for the job we do. The biggest complaints of Chiefs everywhere is the "high turnover rate" of dispatchers....GIVE US A REASON TO STAY!!!!!!!!

<-----------bargaining president :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
NO UNION and other 2 do not want one. Oh well there loss. I always have my feelers out and I have not been here too long so going to another dept is no big deal.

Reason why there is a high turn over rate in Dispatch?

- Poor to no training (including yearly in-service trainig or con ed)

- Poor pay (average in Western Massachusetts is around $12.00 an hour.
The highest is State Police in the high $14.00 an hour. Lowest is
Southampton, around $8.90 an hour)

- No respect from the command staff and field officers (police and fire
services)

- Lack of professionalism (MCOA was created inpart to help with this and
other things listed).

- Poor screening process for new hires. (State Police, Northampton,
Waltham and some others ahve a good screaning processes including
civil service type exams or computer base exams)

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Re: mandatory overtime and contract info

Coops320 said:
Really I am more looking for the legality of forced over time or mandatory overtime. I have been told that Dispatchers are not considered emergency workers like police officers, fire fighters, doctors, nurses etc. Therefore legally we can not be forced to work overtime.
When I was dispatching I was told that dispatchers are emergency workers (per dept policy maybe) and could be forced over or in and have been many times.

Coops320 said:
Also to be a dispatcher in my town we are all 911 state certified and a police officer could not sit in and do the job as they are not 911 certified, not to mention they couldn't make heads or tails of the CAD system.
Most if not all of the officers that get called to ride the pine are 911 certified and are trained to use the CAD system.

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
If your chief considers you an emergency worker and you like your job I guess that is what matters.

As far as an actual decision on the state level, I am unsure of any.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Monetary compensation matters. If the records division gets to go home during a weather emergency and dispatch does not...what is our compensation. Most dispatch departments make equal to or less than the records division. We have a harder job and do not get enough compensation.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Seeing how there is no organized union for most dispatchers to be affiliated with, and little to no interest in organizing one (like in MCOA41's case), Your status in EVERY aspect depends on written departmental policy, and if your administration likes you or not. And by "like" I mean the whole dispatcher roster. You add one nutjob to the pile and it will affect the whole unit.

I just think the majority of questons being posted here can not be answered by those outside of your own department. I'd say the best thing to do is just approach your supervisor, or cheif, about these issues casually. Whether your considered an "emergency worker" or a lowly "call taker", you know who is first to be put on the chopping block come fiscal crunch time.

my two pennies

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I definatly see what you guys are saying but I am looking for long haul information. I am mostly interested after negotiation fail and barganing goes to arbitration. I will post a new topic and see if any info flys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.