Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a poll but we could make it one. I imagine many depts here have dealt with older or elderly drivers who haven't taken a road test in years or decades and are involved in serious crashes or have to be cited for many MV offenses due to their driving. Should mandatory testing be instituted for someone over a certain age? This topic was offered up on a local citizen chat forum run by a local newspaper and most people were for testing. Of course this was right after the fatal incident in Santa Monica, CA.

·
Subscribing Member
4,315 Posts
I've been filling out immediate threat forms and sending them to RMV. I believe the next step after that is RMV hearing and maybe a retest. Don't be afraid of filling one out, it could save lives. Some of our elderly should not be driving. Had an accident on CHristmas eve of elderly woman head on crash with a woman and child. Luckily everyone was alright but could have been worse. We also have to be extra careful on details. I can't remember how many times the elderly don't stop or drive right into you, have to jump out of the way.

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
I think our best option right now is to continue with the immediate threat, rather than forced testing of all older drivers.

Quick story: As far as being on details. There was an officer in my department who was on a detail. Traffic was down to one lane. The officer was pulling traffic in one lane, including a TT unit. He observes a vehicle approaching from the opposite direction that does not appear to be slowing down for him or the TT unit. Luckily the TT unit is able to stop quickly to avoid a collision. The officer finally stops the elderly driver, who when questioned stated "I didn't think you were really there" The officer didn't even know what to say, other than to laugh. #-o

Be careful out there.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
I agree with the immediate threat. Or a system in which the person is given a hearing before the retest.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used Immediate Threats and given comp tests. Unfortunately, the appeal process is better than that of the Courts. You can appeal and appeal and appeal until your kids are too old to drive! :lol:
I really think until some event makes the Public pressure legislators for a change (like the Santa Monica incident), anything done will be all fizz and no gin. It was related to me by a legislator back when this topic was national news, elderly/over 65 vote and vote often. AARP has a strong lobby. Politicians know this and until the momentum swings the other way, he said you won't see a big push for change. We had to take my grandfather off the road. Too many of my brothers were stopping him and 3 crashes in one month were too much. It was difficult but I think we all want to see our loved ones end their days gracefully and peacefully instead of in a horrible crash - or worse, knowing they killed someone else.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've filled out immediate threat forms before and you never hear anything back. ](*,)

I think five seperate Ofc's filled out Immediate Threat forms on an elderly gentleman in my town. He wouldn't go over 10MPH anywhere in town, not to mention the constant confused look while driving.

We rec'd numerous civilian complaints about him as well. And if you stopped him, he read you the riot act about how he was on the Beaches of Normandy! God Bless You Sir! but, you need to travel at a reasonable speed or someone is going to plow into your rear.

We eventually started to notice that we weren't seeing him around any more and thought the RMV finially pulled his license, but no we found out later he past away.

My grandmother was smart enough to remove herself from behind the wheel. She was involved in an MVA w/ her sister when her sister was driving and was at fault for the accident. Both were seriously hurt, but recovered.

She was having trouble picking up things prior to the accident and said, "At this point in my life, driving is just not that important!"

·
Registered
45 Posts
There should just be a cut-off age for having a driving re-test. Say at age 60 they should re-test and lets say every two, three years after. How many times have you received a call about an erratic operator only to find out the operator of the vehicle is 70-90 years of age. Something must be done.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Stick with the Immediate Threat forms. There is no way the AARP will allow the Congress to pass any Bill limiting/prohibiting driving privledges out right.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Perhaps some official advisory council could handle specific situations on a case by case basis. Certain predetermined events, ( MVA, etc... ) would trigger a hearing and possible sanctions on operator responsibilites.. Of course said council would be overworked immediately and tangled in red tape thus reducing any effectiveness..... :roll: :bat:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
masstroopers1 said:
Just to play devils advocate here, we also get a great number of erratic MV complaints where the drivers are in their 20's...statistically speaking, I'd say most of the serious PI and fatal crashes are the result of younger / inexperienced drivers...should they have a second road test before graduating to an unrestricted license? There are also people who are 55 who have no business behind a wheel...

Bottom line, I think you'd have a hard time passing anything based solely on age. There would have to be more to trigger a retest, be it a violation, crash, or medical condition.
I think the younger drivers 16-25 are the most erratic - speeding and reckless. For the most part the old folks are just too slow and stop in the middle of the road, for only god knows what reason, as well as confused. Let's face it, they're old folks... they're gonna be confused and slow. For the most part they are NOT intentionally reckless or careless - just old and confused. With the exception of a few rare incidents of fatalities, the older folks often drive too damn slow to kill 'Bandit the racoon' nevermind a person. Of course when they mistaken the brake for the gas pedal, thats a problem. But stick with the forms and hope for the best...

Family could be of the best help with these situations. Like MT1 points out, its up to family to tell their older loved ones they can't drive - that is the most effective way. Think about it, some of us will come to that day where we shouldn't drive anymore and some nice Police Officer will try to tell us that. Some of us will be stubborn and tell them and the RMV where they can shove it. You hear the lines of "...beaches of Normandy", starting to get the "I was in 'Nam.."... and when our time kicks in "I was in Iraq (or Afghanistan).."

Stick with the forms... but the appeals process does need to be limited. I think the RMV needs to grow a set of B#lls - they like to hike the fees, but don't seem to do too much enforcement or follow through on their end.

Just my .02

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
One good thing to do if turning in a immediate threat form is to walk it down in person to the local RMV and turn it in to the hearings officer. There you can make your case more forcefully to the hearings officer. unfortunately, even if the hearings officer revokes the person's license pending a road test, and they fail the road test, they can still appeal to Boston, who often just keeps giving them chances.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I'd have to agree with the immediate threat forms. I don't think the state is in a place right now to hire enough Troopers to conduct all the road tests that would be necessary, nor do I think it would be very feasable to set an arbitrary age where this would take place. I'd have to agree also with MT1's line of thinking. I think most of the problems are based around younger drivers, not the older crowd. We would be better off dealing with bad elderly drivers on an individual basis with the forms.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I THINK DEFINTLY WHEN SOMEONE REACHES A CERTAIN AGE THEY SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO TAKE ANOTHER DRIVING TEST. MY GRANDPARENTS ARE SOME OF THE WORST DRIVERS ON THE ROAD. THEIR DRIVING SKILLS ARE EQUAL TO THE DRIVING SKILLS OF THAT CAT FROM SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE. YOU KNOW "TOONSES,THE CAT THAT COULD DRIVE". :L:

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
new topic: mandatory keyboard testing?? :wink:

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Elderly man crashes driving the wrong way on Interstate

Just before noon today 80 year old Frederick D Miller of the Florence section of Northampton somehow ended up traveling north in the southbound lanes of Interstate 391 in Chicopee between Exits 1 and 2. Several witnesses reported to State Police nearly missing Miller's 1991 Volvo as it headed the wrong way moments before it struck a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant driven by 21 year old Suleima Fuentes of Holyoke. According to State Police, Fuentes avoided hitting Miller head on and ended up crashing herself. Miller then struck her vehicle causing serious damage to both. Fuentes was taken by ambulance to Baystate Medical Center for minor injuries. Miller was not injured and declined medical treatment. A State Police spokesman said they still do not know where Miller entered the highway the wrong way nor does Miller know how he ended up on the wrong side of the divided limited access highway. State Police anticipate filing numerous charges including filing an Immediate Threat Suspension form. This form, say State Police, formally requests the Registrar to immediately revoke a person's license in Massachusetts based on a dangerous driving offense. State Police say it is a 'miracle' no further vehicles were involved and no one was seriously injured.

:shock: If you know this area, "miracle" is an understatement......Its nearly impossible to enter the wrong way since every ramp is angled to require a deliberate 45 degree turn to go the wrong way.

·
Registered
252 Posts
:eek:t: masstroopers1 I just wanted to say that those penguins are the funnest thing I have seen in a long time. Good stress relief. When I get pissed I just come in the station and watch those penguins and all anger goes away. Its the closest thing to drinking a beer i can do on the job. :t:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.