Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some colleges like BSC and Framingham State have started a program requiring new students to purchase laptops for school. I don't know about everyone else, but I didn't exactly have tons of money when I went to college. More state schools are planning to implement this next year. Supposedly they have a deal with Dell making the laptops available to students at a discounted rate of $1,200.00 I agree that this is a good "idea", but considering how expensive everything is these days it seems to me that this is a little harsh. What ever happened to drunkenly stumbling down to the campus library/computer room?

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
I think a lot of them are "including" them in with tuition, but yeah if you have to buy your own and the only way you can get an education is to have a laptop, something is wrong.

Heck if you have to have a laptop, why not just go to a fully online University.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
At FSC I do not believe the laptops are included with the tuition. I appears they can purchase a discounted laptop from FSC's "chosen" vendor.

From the FSC Website:

All new students entering the College are required to own a wireless laptop computer. A discounted laptop, which conforms with the current campus standards, is available through our chosen vendor to new, returning and graduating students. Framingham State College recommends the Dell Latitude D600.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I go to BSC, and laptops aren't included in the tuition. They say that it's discounted through Dell, but when I bought my laptop through Dell, I got a better one (more memory, more...lots of things) for 200 dollars less. I feel bad for the kids who can't afford it...

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
When I said I think many are includeing them I was talking about a lot of the other schools in the world, not just the ones listed. It's unfortunate that they make kids buy them upfront. Many schools are smarter than this and allow studets to include them in their tuition costs or have long term defered payment plans.

At FSC I do not believe the laptops are included with the tuition. I appears they can purchase a discounted laptop from FSC's "chosen" vendor.

From the FSC Website:

All new students entering the College are required to own a wireless laptop computer. A discounted laptop, which conforms with the current campus standards, is available through our chosen vendor to new, returning and graduating students. Framingham State College recommends the Dell Latitude D600.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Im sorry but this is the nothing but good lobbying........it has nothing to do with education. :evil:

$1,200 for a lap top is NOT a discounted rate. That is a overly inflated lets stick up arse of the people of the commonwealth a little more rate. :evil:

You can buy a Dell laptop from Dell for $799. Even then, it doesnt have to be a Dell.
Oh wait I forgot........black plastic is faster isnt it........ :roll:

This state is F^$^^#&__(*&*%& :spank: $%#(%&*$^$& :up_yours: ^%%)&$&^#%#% :cussing: (^()%^%$ :evil:

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
kmf294 @ Mon 30 Aug said:
well that should cut down on laptop theft if everyone has one
That's not why they are doing it. They are doing it so they can connect into every students computer and see what they are doing. Obviously if during a class the students can get stuff displayed on their computers by the teachers there is something going on. These kids have to be careful with what they do.

Scott :pc:

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Which universities are including remote desktop management as part of the package?
That I have never heard of. At RPI I know students were required to have a notebook computer as it was essential to most of their studies, be it CS, Math, Engineering...if you didn't have a laptop, you were screwed...Princeton used to suggest a computer, then moved to a laptop...now I think it may be required. I know they had a kick butt network even back in the day...Dormnet...very cool fiber optic network.

kmf294 @ Mon 30 Aug said:
well that should cut down on laptop theft if everyone has one
That's not why they are doing it. They are doing it so they can connect into every students computer and see what they are doing. Obviously if during a class the students can get stuff displayed on their computers by the teachers there is something going on. These kids have to be careful with what they do.

Scott :pc:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.