Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

MassCops Angel
121,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Brian Fraga
Standard-Times staff writer
July 30, 2008 6:00 AM

NEW BEDFORD - A man wanted in Seattle for the attempted assassination-style shooting of a gang-affiliated woman was apprehended this week in New Bedford.
U.S. marshals, Massachusetts State Police troopers and New Bedford police officers arrested Ivory C. Berube, 33, Monday at 67 Hunter St. in the West End.
Mr. Berube, who has New Bedford ties, allegedly shot a woman in the head and leg outside a Seattle nightclub on July 12. He was arraigned Tuesday in New Bedford District Court on fugitive charges.
Local police said Mr. Berube waived rendition and is expected to be taken back to the West Coast by Seattle-area authorities.
Seattle police spokesman Officer Mark Jamieson said Seattle detectives arrived in New Bedford this week to interview Mr. Berube and gather evidence.
"At some time in the future, he will be brought back to Seattle to face charges," Officer Jamieson said.
New Bedford police spokesman Lt. Jeffrey P. Silva said Mr. Berube is accused of attempting to kill a woman who was affiliated with a rival Seattle gang. Lt. Silva said the shooting was in retaliation for an earlier gang-related shooting.
Mr. Berube allegedly walked up behind the 28-year-old woman, who was standing outside a nightclub, and attempted to shoot her in the back of the head at close range.
Mr. Berube shot at the woman, but she moved, causing the bullet to strike her neck and ear, police said. She ran, but Mr. Berube chased after her and shot at her again, striking her in the femoral artery, Lt. Silva said.
The woman collapsed under a bush and passed out. She lost a large amount of blood and was taken to a Seattle hospital with life-threatening injuries. She survived the attack, police said.
Seattle police questioned three individuals at the scene, including a 26-year-old man who had tried to outrun police, according to news reports.
A portion of the shooting was captured by a nearby camera. The video enabled detectives there to identify Mr. Berube as the shooter, Lt. Silva said.
Seattle police and U.S. marshals obtained information that led them to believe Mr. Berube, who lived in Massachusetts during the 1990s, had returned to New Bedford.
Deputy U.S. Marshal Robert Charest was contacted July 26 in Massachusetts. He notified State Trooper David Reis, a member of the Violent Fugitive Apprehension Section, who also contacted New Bedford police detectives.
After developing intelligence of Mr. Berube's possible whereabouts, authorities went to the Hunter Street residence Monday afternoon and arrested him without incident.
Police also seized clothing that matched a description given by Seattle authorities of the items worn by the gunman, Lt. Silva said.
New Bedford Police K-9 Officer Gary Beaudoin and explosives-sniffing dog Xtra were called to the residence to look for firearms, but none were found, police said.
Mr. Berube also had outstanding Massachusetts arrest warrants from the 1990s for cocaine distribution, marijuana possession, assault and battery on a police officer and disturbing the peace.
Lt. Silva said that Mr. Berube was arrested two days after Massachusetts authorities were contacted by U.S. marshals on the West Coast.
"That's pretty efficient," he said. "It's police work personified."
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.