Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- A 49-year-old Antioch man who was shot by police Tuesday night after pointing two guns at an officer survived surgery, but remained in the intensive care unit at John Muir Medical Center Wednesday, Antioch police Lt. Leonard Orman said.At about 11:40 p.m. police received a call from the man's wife, who was out of town, saying she was concerned about her husband's safety, Orman said.Officers responded to the man's home at 3925 Killdeer Court. Several officers parked and waited a short distance from the home while one officer approached and hid behind some landscaping. His plan was to assess the situation before determining what action needed to be taken.
As the officer was watching the home, the homeowner allegedly came out the front door holding a gun in each hand.The man fired one bullet into the ground as he exited the house, and walked down the front steps and into the driveway, at which point the officer ordered him to drop his weapons, Orman said.The officer's voice gave away his hiding place and the man allegedly pointed both guns at the officer. The officer shot him in the abdomen.Police searched the man's home and reportedly found several more guns inside, but there was no indication that the guns were possessed illegally, Orman said.The man had been alone in the house prior to the shooting.Police believe the incident occurred because the man "feels his quality of life has deteriorated and he was upset," Orman said.The officer who shot the man has been placed on paid administrative leave while the Antioch Police Department and the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office investigate the shooting.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Oops! 11:40 PM. Noises in his front yard, exits the home armed, someone in the dark yells out from a hiding spot, man turns and is shot? Me thinks the tactics used were a bit shady.

I am not judging the shooting, just the tactics. How would anyone react in such a circumstance as a homeowner?

Kind of an "iffy" situation.

Wouldn't it have been better to telephone the subject to determine issues; or, park a patrol car where it was visible; announce your presence and then, if necessary, use the tactics used?

I don't know because I was not there, but there seem to be some questions that will be asked.

All I am saying is when I was on the street, I certainly would not have performed in such a manner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts