Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man pleads guilty to burning flag

NORTHAMPTON, Mass. -- A homeless man who claimed he set fire to an American flag hanging outside a Northampton home to protest the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan has been placed on probation for two years.
Prosecutors say 65-year-old Douglas Wight had faced charges of vandalizing property and burning a tree, but on Wednesday pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of malicious destruction of property over $250. He must also pay more than $300 in restitution.
Wight tells the Daily Hampshire Gazette that he accepted the plea bargain because a conviction on the more serious charges would have forced him to give up his driver's license, and he lives in his pickup truck.
Prosecutors say the flag's owner felt the punishment was adequate.
Wight was linked to similar incidents in other towns, but was never charged.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO89274/

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Believe it or not, I got to slap the cuffs on this turd! The judge did NOT want to go along with the joint recommendation of the DA's office and defense atty. What I don't get is these fuckin DA's who pursue a case that they have shit for evidence like it was the OJ trial and then they get a slam dunk like this case (where the guy even confessed!) and they want to plea it down. **scratches head** I don't get it.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Thanks USMCMP5811, I got to make the arrest, but there were other guys and PD's who helped put it all together. I'm sure there were enough people in the city who would love to wrap him in one of his creations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.