Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fate of a San Francisco police horse that escaped its officer while patrolling outside Candlestick Park on Friday and knocked into two men, killing one, is unknown, a police spokesman said today.
The horse, named Seattle, was one of two police horses patrolling the area of the park near Ingerson Avenue around 6 p.m. about an hour before a 49ers game when a bag flew into Seattle's bridle, San Francisco police spokesman Neville Gittens said.
The horse tried to dislodge the bag by swinging its head back and forth, and the officer riding the horse leaned forward to try to remove the bag, but the horse and officer collided heads and both fell to the ground, according to Gittens.
Seattle quickly sprang up and ran south toward the park's gate B.
The horse first ran into a 47-year-old Millbrae man, causing the man to spin around.
Then the horse knocked into 78-year-old Eugene Caldwell, who fell and hit his head, Gittens said.
Caldwell, a resident of Roseville, suffered life-threatening injuries and was transported to San Francisco General Hospital.
He was pronounced dead at about 1 a.m. today, Gittens said.
The Millbrae man and the officer were both treated and released at the scene, according to Gittens.
The Police Department's Mounted Unit has been in existence since 1874 and consists of 10 horses, including Seattle, Gittens said. Seven officers and one sergeant are assigned to the unit.
The officer who was riding Seattle on Friday night is a 28-year-veteran of the Police Department and has been with the Mounted Unit for 10 years, Gittens said.
That officer is also one of the training officers for the Mounted Unit, according to Gittens.
"There's no indication at this point that anything was done wrong," Gittens said. "It was a tragic, unpredictable accident."
Seattle has been returned to its stable, but the horse's fate remains unknown, according to Gittens.

Story From: Bay City News Service

·
Registered
779 Posts
You know that's such a tragedy for everyone involved, including the horse. Anyone who rides knows, and those of you who haven't may be suprised, how easily horses startle. It's shocking to see an animal the size of most cars when they get frightened and start to scramble. It's just as bad, maybe more frightening on top, holding on for dear life while trying to keep people from being trampled underneath. Horses are herd animals with poor vision, and by default prey animals. One of their majors defenses when attacked is to run. This poor horse was probably terrified by this bag, as funny as it may sound. And its attempts to get away from the threat never happened because of the bag being stuck. Making it worse was it took off and was away from the other horse, which in nature means they're the next meal. So it probably ran harder. All because of some shithead litterbug. If they put the horse down as article would suggest it would be a shame, because this was so not a malicious intended act..
Oh and from personal experience, they're not always fond of firecrackers..the pissed off trooper on its back isn't either....but I share my misery well....

G

·
You know that's such a tragedy for everyone involved, including the horse. Anyone who rides knows, and those of you who haven't may be suprised, how easily horses startle. It's shocking to see an animal the size of most cars when they get frightened and start to scramble. It's just as bad, maybe more frightening on top, holding on for dear life while trying to keep people from being trampled underneath. Horses are herd animals with poor vision, and by default prey animals. One of their majors defenses when attacked is to run. This poor horse was probably terrified by this bag, as funny as it may sound. And its attempts to get away from the threat never happened because of the bag being stuck. Making it worse was it took off and was away from the other horse, which in nature means they're the next meal. So it probably ran harder. All because of some shithead litterbug. If they put the horse down as article would suggest it would be a shame, because this was so not a malicious intended act..
Oh and from personal experience, they're not always fond of firecrackers..the pissed off trooper on its back isn't either....but I share my misery well....
+1

I spent hours upon hours conditioning my horse to ignore fire engines, ambulances, dumpster trucks, and every other distraction imaginable, but the one time he dumped me on the street it was because a 5 year-old kid came running at us waving one of those big "#1" foam fingers.

1700lbs of solid muscle and he was startled by a pre-schooler with a styrofoam finger. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
779 Posts
I spent hours upon hours conditioning my horse to ignore fire engines, ambulances, dumpster trucks, and every other distraction imaginable, but the one time he dumped me on the street it was because a 5 year-old kid came running at us waving one of those big "#1" foam fingers.

1700lbs of solid muscle and he was startled by a pre-schooler with a styrofoam finger. :rolleyes:

And flags, kites, those stupid plastic electric powered 4 wheelers....lol...

·
Registered
779 Posts
The one I generally ride everyday always gives the big tents the hairy eyeball....but does what you tell him to....hes a good shit...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts