Man Gets Shot After Charging At Female Cop With Knife in Phoenix, Arizona | MassCops

Man Gets Shot After Charging At Female Cop With Knife in Phoenix, Arizona

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Articles' started by RodneyFarva, Jul 31, 2020.

1. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Good shoot, but WTF talk about hesitation. Damn.

Phoenix, Arizona — The Phoenix Police Department released a body camera footage of an officer-involved shooting that happened on June 14, 2020. The suspect from this incident has been identified as 55-year-old Jon David Brouseau. The incident happened at approximately 7:45 p.m. in a parking lot near 43rd Avenue and Union Hills in Phoenix. A 911 caller reported a drunk man armed with a knife was threatening customers inside a grocery store. Officers from the Cactus Park Precinct responded and saw several people pointing to Brouseau who was now walking around the parking lot. The officer contacted Brouseau and immediately noticed that he was armed with a knife. The officer repeatedly told Brouseau to drop the knife. The man ignored the commands and told the officer he would kill her. After almost a minute of walked toward the officer with the knife in hand, Brouseau charged at the officer and she fired her weapon at him. The incident was recorded not only on body-worn camera from the officer but also on the cell phones of several witnesses. Additional officers arrived and were able to handcuff Brouseau and get him medical attention. Brouseau is expected to survive his injuries and will be charged with aggravated assault. There were no other community members injured. The officer who fired her weapon is assigned to the Cactus Park Precinct and has 1 year of service.

2. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

She exhibited command presence and didn't panic or lose her composure, while maintaining some distance and cover. She communicated with dispatch while keeping focus on the guy. He pushed it and left no choice.

If the Mass Legislature has their way, the proper response will be to gather up all the children under 12 and run away with them to keep them from developing PTSD.

CCCSD, Kilvinsky, Hush and 1 other person like this.
  3. Drebbin

Drebbin MassCops Member

She only had a year on the job. I also felt she took way to long to get the shot off. But what about her back up? The guy gets there and sees her being chased by this drunk with a knife. The guy is yelling that he is going to kill her. So he goes to his trunk rummages around and then walks over. His contribution is saying " I got it all on tape". I know he may have been getting the long gun but why when it was unfolding in the manner it was?

4. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

That wasn’t her backup . That was a civilian .

Sooty likes this.
  5. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

She was well justified in shooting him much earlier With that said, I have to add and please, spare me the corrections, but in this day and age, things being the way they are, I can't think many folks would shoot the moment it was appropriate drather than just keep praying that things came to a halt BEFORE hand. Yeah, we all know the "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by 6" philosophy, but if you get killed, you're immediately exonerated (Big Whoop). If you shoot the person and no matter how RIGHT you were, you're found WRONG, there goes your lively hood, there goes your reputation, there goes everything you worked for (Law suits) and in too many cases, there goes your family. As WRONG as it can be to hesitate, and as dangerous as it is, it's what many of us would do in this day and age. AND GOD FORBID some innocent soul behind this clown had been hit! Think about how badly THAT could go.

It's sad but it's reality and it's why the job is getting MORE dangerous, especially if those who know our job better than ANY of us have their say. Time to consider suing state government. It seems every 20 minutes Laura Healy is suing someone, lets turn the tables the very first time a LEO gets serious injured or God Forbid, killed. YOU DID THIS, YOU GOT THIS OFFICER HURT/KILLED.

res2244, mpd61 and CCCSD like this.
  6. Drebbin

Drebbin MassCops Member

Im glad I was wrong. In that case he did a good job.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  7. Kilvinsky

It was nice that someone who DIDN'T HAVE TO, backed up the Officer's actions and made clear they were.

mpd61, Drebbin and CCCSD like this.
  8. MPD703

MPD703 Subscribing Member

The quote of the video comes at 2:19 when the knucklehead says "Ah....that hurt!"
    Good job by this officer, she had a few backstop issues thrown in the mix, and nice to see that there are still people who back the cops.

Hush, Kilvinsky, mpd61 and 1 other person like this.
  9. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

We should start a go fund me for the nice civilian!!!;)

10. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

She was very good at trying to avoid the use of deadly force until it was absolutely necessary. I might do the same thing, given the current political climate and everything. I would be concerned though that I might trip or lose my footing when trying to back up. She could’ve easily stumbled over one of the curbs in the parking lot and been attacked. I’m glad she’s ok and he got exactly what he wanted.

11. Kilvinsky

I wonder if the driver of the white pick up behind this douche when this all started, even considered just putting it in drive and rolling into the guy. It sure would have been effective even at 3 miles and hour.

12. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

Is this the girl who's also a competitive shooter?
    Having watched it I felt she was trying to bide time for backup to arrive before he pushed it too far. Something about people that confident in their skills will to a little extra because they know they can handle the "what if he doesn't comply" .
    If it is her the "community" is bearing down on "experienced competitive shooters shouldn't be cops" or some such nonsense.

One and done... calm as can be... beautiful.

13. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

No, that was Toni McBride of LAPD, she was cool as a cucumber and put 4 in an advancing bad guy.

CCCSD likes this.