·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man fires on 6 cops: Suspect was free on bail following drug charges
by Laurel J. Sweet
Thursday, August 14, 2003
BOSTON HERALD

Six Boston cops responding to a car-theft false alarm under the spotlight of a street lamp early yesterday morning wound up being used for target practice, allegedly by a reputed coke dealer.

Now authorities are trying to determine if patrolmen James Coyne, David Miller, Jon Michael Harber, Edward Gately, James Sheehan and Adam Gill were lured to an ambush - and if so why - by Luis Carvalho, 22, a ``well-known'' Cape Verdean thug now facing six counts of attempted cop murder.

``We can't go so far as to say it was planned,'' said Boston police Capt. Albert Goslin. ``Our position is he saw an opportunity and saw officers who were vulnerable and clearly visible.''

As sniper shots ricocheted through the tree leaves in Carvalho's back yard at 93 Howard Ave. in Dorchester, the officers, standing several yards away and some 20 feet below on Danube Street, dove for cover. They were not hurt and did not return fire, Goslin said.

Ercira Bargas, who was visiting an aunt who lives on Danube Street, told the Herald it was she who called police about 2 a.m. when she heard breaking glass and feared two men she'd seen loitering around her Mitsubishi Gallant were trying to steal the car.

``I didn't want to waste their time,'' Bargas said. ``I even told them, `I'm not sure they're trying to break into my car.' ''

But a grateful Bargas had no sooner looked out the window to see police around her vehicle when she heard three loud gunshots.

``I got so scared I just jumped into bed,'' she said. ``I heard a policeman yell, `It's coming from there!' ''

Police suspect Carvalho, who was entertaining guests, may have opened fire from a concrete pathway beneath the cover of a large wooden deck. Investigators armed with a search warrant and a metal detector returned to his mother's house yesterday afternoon and found a Spanish-made Star 9mm handgun stashed on a beam in the basement, as well as two spent 9mm shell casings near the deck. There were still six live rounds in the firearm's 10-round magazine, Goslin said.

Carvalho was ordered held on $100,000 cash bail by Judge Paul Leary at his arraignment yesterday in Roxbury District Court. Over the objection of U.S. District Attorney Michael Sullivan's Office, U.S. District Court Judge Lawrence Cohen freed Carvalho in June on $10,000 cash bail after he pleaded not guilty to a federal indictment charging him with pushing crack cocaine.

One of the conditions of his release was that Carvalho not possess a gun.

Carvalho's uncle, Jose Depina, said his nephew's mother is away in Cape Verde. ``She went there to rest,'' he said, shaking his head. ``She's very close to her kids.''

Depina said Carvalho wanted to be a Boston firefighter, but now, he said, ``I don't know what's going to happen.''

·
Registered
334 Posts
Anyone know if this guy made bail? Or the history of Judge Cohen and Judge Leary?

Also, in typical Herald style, gotta get the last bit in at the end, "he's a good boy with a loving mom who was going to be someone (a FF)" BS
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,756 Posts
Oh Jeez,

Another mis-understood youth. Judge Cohen was just looking out for the young mans best interests, not necessarily coincidental with that of the public's. YIKES!
:shock:

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
I am not sure if he made bail but I think I read that the Fed's were going to try and hold him if he makes bail on a detainer... Yeah and I love how the Uncle was like "he wanted to be a Boston Firefighter. I don't know what's gonna happen now." Ahhh HE DOESN'T DESERVE A GREAT JOB LIKE BEING ON BFD. I can't get over these morons. This ASS***E !!!!! decides he's just gonna use cops for target practice!!!!!! I am just glad none of the officers got hurt and they were able to expedite a warrant before one of this idiots friends decided to get rid of important evidence...

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Carvalho's dream of being a Boston FF can still be a reality :D I believe the minimum requirement is 2 on the BOP for all FF personnel :D

G

·
2 what misdermeanors, felonies,2 years since?(look back), entries(whether they be dismissed or CWF. 2 what? I never heard anything like that I thought if you had any felony convictions or misdermeanors you could'nt get on?

Well thats the way it should be anyway.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
I was joking around about the BOP statement :D just seems like every off duty FF we query comes back with a bop history.

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
I used to work at BFD headquarters and if i am not mistaken, You can not have any felonies within 5 years of getting the job. But they look at what the charges are for. I had asked if a friend of mine should even bother taking the test because he had an OUI, and the woman in HR said it was very unlikely he would have a shot. I really don't think this kid has a shot in hell !

G

·
Capt. Kirk said:
I used to work at BFD headquarters and if i am not mistaken, You can not have any felonies within 5 years of getting the job. But they look at what the charges are for. I had asked if a friend of mine should even bother taking the test because he had an OUI, and the woman in HR said it was very unlikely he would have a shot. I really don't think this kid has a shot in hell !
But like you said it has a five year look back if your buddy was convicted more than 5 yrs he should be ok then, Right? I was under the impression there wasnt a time limit on the look back.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was being sarcastic :shock: sorry if you guys took it the wrong way.

G

·
DAM, I'm so disaponited I had no idea he was being sarcastic, Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention. I dont know what I would do with out you guys.

I'm just kidding with ya Chris, I figured he was only being sarcastic.Well not originally but it doesnt matter.

Although, it's my fault this has got off topic, so my bad, however lets not let this to keep going way off topic. The point was duly noted so lets get this back on track, sorry for the misunderstanding.

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
As I said before ( If I am not mistaken). This was just based on small talk with a woman that worked in the HR dept. Plus what I observed while I worked there. I do belive they take into account a persons past charges( type of charges and the severity. But I don't this clown will ever get a chance. Also, my friends charges were recent.

G

·
Capt. Kirk said:
As I said before ( If I am not mistaken). This was just based on small talk with a woman that worked in the HR dept. Plus what I observed while I worked there. I do belive they take into account a persons past charges( type of charges and the severity. But I don't this clown will ever get a chance. Also, my friends charges were recent.
Thank you for your response CaptKirk but this needs to kept on topic thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts