Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Lexington County Coroner Harry Harman said Jerry Marsh III of Columbia was taking his .40-caliber Glock semi-automatic handgun apart around 7 p.m. Thursday at Shooter's Choice when it fired, striking him in the chest.
Wow, another one of those "self-firing" pistols. What a menace to society they are!

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,774 Posts
Tragic....Does illustrate the point of "Glock Perfection" though. Much less likely with an M&P. But WTH do I know?

Reactions: lofu and Goose

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
WTF? If people just practiced basic gun safety it would make it a lot easier for the rest of us gun owners.
I know what your point is, and I'm not busting your balls, just offering a point. I used to say stuff like that, but that's meeting liberal pansies on their terms that guns are different. A dumb gun owner reflects no worse on me as a gun owner, as a Guy who cuts off his hand with a chainsaw. I own one of those too. People need to get back to the idea that bad things happen, can't legislate the shit out of safety to solve it, and other people's bad decisions should stop being held against us. A gun is a tool, people do dumb shit with tools sometimes.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
The title should be: Man shoots himself and accidentally dies.

Reactions: Goose

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Tragic....Does illustrate the point of "Glock Perfection" though. Much less likely with an M&P. But WTH do I know?
Less likely it would have gone off? Or less likely it would have killed him? ;)

Reactions: carodo

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I frequent shooters choice quite often, I guess I was lucky I wasn't there that night. I recall someone getting bitched at for disassembling their weapon on the live indoor range. RIP.

G

·
Right, because a loaded M&P pointed at someone's chest will NOT fire when the trigger is squeezed. Apparently in your opinion, S&W pistols have smart capability, and won't fire unless the circumstances are legally justified.

Seriously?????

·
Super Moderator
7,171 Posts
Right, because a loaded M&P pointed at someone's chest will NOT fire when the trigger is squeezed. Apparently in your opinion, S&W pistols have smart capability, and won't fire unless the circumstances are legally justified.

Seriously?????
One of the "safety features" in the M&P line of pistols is that unlike a Glock, it does not require that the trigger be pulled to decock the striker to field strip the pistol. Granted if you are stupid and neglect to clear the weapon and choose to decock it by pulling the trigger rather than pushing the sear disconnect lever down, it will still go off.

However, I'm not quite sure how the heck you would do that in the first place unless you are too dumb to drop the magazine first when racking the slide to turn the takedown lever OR the extractor is bad and you don't bother to check that the chamber is clear first.

I have never owned a Glock, so I'm not overly familiar with how they are field stripped other than I don't think they actually have a takedown lever.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts

Seriously?????
I think he was being somewhat sarcastic due to the features that prevent an M&P from being field stripped without being slide locked and sear deactivation pin, and takedown lever to be turned down. That's the way I read it though, so I could be wrong.

Reactions: mpd61
G

·
I have never owned a Glock, so I'm not overly familiar with how they are field stripped other than I don't think they actually have a takedown lever.
1) Drop the magazine.

2) Rack the slide to the rear, ejecting the cartridge in the chamber.

3) Visually and physically confirm there is no cartridge in the chamber.

4) Release the slide.

5) Squeeze the trigger ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER in a safe direction..

6) Bring the slide back an inch or so.

7) Depress the take-down switches on the sides of the receiver.

8) Take the slide off, then remove the recoil spring and barrel.

That's it.....not exactly quantum physics, and I've managed to do those 8 steps for the last 18 years without shooting myself or anyone else.

·
Super Moderator
7,171 Posts
1) Drop the magazine.

2) Rack the slide to the rear, ejecting the cartridge in the chamber.

3) Visually and physically confirm there is no cartridge in the chamber.

4) Release the slide.

5) Squeeze the trigger ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER in a safe direction.

6) Bring the slide back an inch or so.

7) Depress the take-down switches on the sides of the receiver.

8) Take the slide off, then remove the recoil spring and barrel.

That's it.....not exactly quantum physics, and I've managed to do those 8 steps for the last 18 years without shooting myself or anyone else.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say he neglected to perform one or all of steps 1 through 5.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.