Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man Claims Constitutional Right to get Drunk

WALTHAM, Mass. -- In what some legal experts believe is a first-of-its-kind challenge, a man has filed suit in Massachusetts claiming he had the right to get drunk at a friend's house.

The suit stems from Eric Laverriere's arrest by Waltham police at a New York's Eve party.

The Portland, Maine, man said officers broke up the party, took him into protective custody and held him for nine hours. He was never charged with any crime.

Laverriere, 25, told The Boston Globe he has a constitutional right to get drunk on private property so long as he isn't causing a public disturbance. And since he was invited to spend the night at the friend's home, he says he wasn't a threat to anyone on the roads.

The suit against the Waltham Police Department was filed in federal court. The city's police chief isn't commenting.

·
1,334 Posts
Spend all that money on an attorney for a 9 hr PC Arrest. Someone has way too much time on their hands. Constitutional right to get drunk, I can't wait to see the ruling on this. :t:

·
Subscribing Member
3,265 Posts
I think I'm going to have a couple of beers to uphold the constitution myself. Bottoms Up!!!!

:baby13: :baby01: :DB: :GNANA: \:D/

·
Subscribing Member
1,170 Posts
Good luck on that one......a PC is NOT an arrest. Better read that GL a little closer skippy! :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts