Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Joe Cohen
Standard-Times staff writer
August 04, 2008 6:00 AM

NEW BEDFORD - A 25-year-old single mother of three young children from Wareham was killed early Saturday morning leaving a Popes Island club where she worked when her compact station wagon was broadsided by a pickup truck. Police said the truck was driven by a Dartmouth man who was drunk and operating at a high rate of speed.
Lindsay Marie Roberge was killed shortly after 2 a.m. Saturday leaving the Foxy Lady SouthCoast parking lot as she pulled onto Route 6.
Police charged Christopher Battistelli, 25, of 27 Robert St., Dartmouth, with two charges: driving under the influence of liquor and vehicular homicide while under the influence of liquor with reckless operation. He was coming from Fairhaven at a high rate of speed in a 2004 Toyota Tundra pickup truck when his vehicle struck Ms. Roberge's Ford Escort station wagon on the driver's side. Ms. Roberge was killed immediately by the force of the crash, police said.
Police Chief Ronald E. Teachman provided some details of the accident and arrest and confirmed other details Sunday evening. No information about arraignment or bond was available. Chief Teachman said the accident investigation was continuing.
Poppy Pierce, manager of the Foxy Lady, said Sunday evening Ms. Roberge was a tall blond woman with a "big smile" and the look of the "sweet girl next door."
She said Ms. Roberge was "very outgoing, friendly" and most importantly was a "very devoted Mom - always willing to lend a helping hand" and someone who was "never upset." Ms. Pierce said Ms. Roberge was the mother of children ages 8, 5 and less than one year.
According to Ms. Pierce, Ms. Roberge's third child was a boy whose father had left for Iraq only days before the accident. She said the boy's parents were not married and had broken off their relationship.
"She is going to be remembered - she loved her kids."
She said Ms. Roberge and her children had been excited recently because she had just bought them new bedroom sets.
According to the funeral home, Ms. Roberge left children Makayla, Emily and Corey. She was born in Farmington, Conn. According to the funeral home and Ms. Pierce, Ms. Roberge wanted to pursue a career as a nurse. Her mother and stepfather live in Wareham and her father and stepmother live in Harwich Port. Visiting hours and a memorial service are planned for Tuesday at the Doane Beal & Ames Funeral Home in West Harwich.
Ms. Pierce said Ms. Roberge had worked a 7 p.m. Friday to 2 a.m. Saturday shift and to her knowledge had not consumed any alcohol during that time. She said that after the closing, employees were in the parking lot, hugged each other goodbye, and, Ms. Roberge noted, there was a song about angels on her car radio. Ms. Pierce said Ms. Roberge was especially fond of angels, and turned the volume higher as she drove to the parking lot exit.
Ms. Pierce said Foxy Lady employees heard the crash and their impression was the driver of the pickup truck never used the brakes. Ms. Pierce said police arrived on the scene within minutes, but there was nothing that could be done for Ms. Roberge.
Ms. Pierce said Ms. Roberge had worked at the Foxy Lady since 2006.
A trust fund in memory of Ms. Roberge has been set up in care of the Cape Cod Five Bank, Main Street, Harwich, MA 02645.

MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Prosecutors move to revoke bail for driver in Foxy Lady crash

By Brian Fraga
Standard-Times staff writer
August 05, 2008 6:00 AM

NEW BEDFORD - Prosecutors have moved to revoke bail for a Dartmouth man charged with motor vehicular homicide stemming from Saturday morning's crash on Popes Island that killed a 25-year-old single mother of three.
Christopher Battistelli, 25, of 27 Robert St., Dartmouth, was arraigned Monday in New Bedford District Court on charges of motor vehicular homicide by reckless endangerment and operating under the influence of liquor.
According to court records, Mr. Battistelli also has two other pending criminal cases for shoplifting and violating a protective order. He was arrested July 26 for allegedly contacting an ex-girlfriend who had taken out a restraining order against him. In May, he was arrested for attempting to steal DVDs and ice cream from Shaw's Supermarket in Dartmouth.
Mr. Battistelli will return to court Thursday for a bail revocation hearing. If found that he violated the terms of release in his other cases, he will be held without bail while his new case is pending.
According to police reports, Mr. Battistelli was recklessly driving his green Toyota Tundra pickup truck at a high rate of speed down Route 6 just after 2 a.m. Saturday when it struck a green station wagon that was pulling out of the Foxy Lady parking lot.
Lindsay M. Roberge, 25, of Wareham, was driving the station wagon. She was killed instantly and pronounced dead at the scene. She suffered extensive trauma to the left side of her face, according to police reports.
Police officers responding to the crash found Mr. Battistelli lodged between the steering wheel and the driver's seat. Firefighters at the scene extricated him from the vehicle, court records said.
Inside Mr. Battistelli's truck, police found several open and unopened cans of Budweiser and Bud Light. Because Mr. Battistelli had to be medically treated at the scene, he was not given a field sobriety test or a Breathalyzer.
He was transported to St. Luke's Hospital, where his blood alcohol content was tested, court records said. His blood alcohol levels were not available Monday.
Mr. Battistelli's lawyer, Walter Faria, told reporters his client had been treated for serious injuries, though he did not know the extent of his injuries.
Mr. Faria also said the defendant was in shock. He said Mr. Battistelli had intended to plead guilty to his two pending cases, but that he was in no condition to be questioned by the court Monday.
"I don't even think he knew where he was today," Mr. Faria said.
Poppy Pierce, a Foxy Lady manager, told The Standard-Times Sunday that Ms. Roberge worked at the club and had worked a 7 p.m. Friday to 2 a.m. Saturday shift.
After her shift, Ms. Pierce said Ms. Roberge said goodbye to her co-workers and left the parking lot with a song about angels playing on her car stereo.
Ms. Roberge's family described her in an obituary as a "loving mother, daughter and sister" who had a "beautiful smile, an infectious laugh and a wonderful sense of humor."
She was born in Farmington, Conn., and aspired to become a nurse. She is survived by three children, ages 8, 5 and less than 1 year.
Monday at the Foxy Lady, customers were seen walking in to the club. There were no signs of the fatal accident from two days earlier. A security guard at the front door told a reporter that management did not want to comment.
A phone message left for Ms. Roberge's father in Harwich was not returned. A phone number for her mother in Wareham was out of service.
According to police reports, a woman told police she left the Foxy Lady at the same time as Ms. Roberge.
A witness said she drove out from the parking lot, looked in her rear-view mirror and saw a truck collide with Ms. Roberge's vehicle.
It was unclear whether Mr. Roberge was turning right or left from the parking lot. After the collision, her vehicle continued down Route 6 before coming to a stop. Mr. Battistelli's truck became lodged in a roadside barrier.
Both vehicles were "damaged beyond recognition," court records said.
According to police reports, police examined a Foxy Lady security camera that faces east on Route 6, looking out to Fairhaven. The camera caught the defendant's truck traveling at an extremely high rate of speed. Just before it went off camera, the truck was seen swerving to the other westbound lane.
Meanwhile, police officers interviewed Mr. Battistelli at the hospital, where they told him he was being charged for operating under the influence and motor vehicular homicide. After being released from the hospital, he was taken to police headquarters, where he was booked and then sent to the Ash Street Jail to await arraignment.
A District Court judge set bail for Mr. Battistelli's new case at $15,000 cash bail.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.