Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,803 Posts
This has me wondering how many auxiliary departments are left and if any will continue to exist after the new MPTC/POST requirements.
Moving forward I'm certain there will not be much practical use for them. As the MPTC pointed out there is no way to train or support them under the new reform standards, as they are NOT performing specific L.E. duties, nor have any arrest authority. Currently I think there are barely over a dozen left in the Commonwealth.

·
MassCops Member
355 Posts
What are the legal and practical differences today between an Aux, a Special, and a Reserve? I’m just curious, as I started my LE career as an “Aux/Special Officer” (that was what was on my old ID card) in a small MA town 46 years ago. I can’t even remember what training I got before I was put out in car with a regular Officer...... but I know it wasn’t much. (More like “here’s your badge and cap piece; buy your own uniform; and bring your own gun!”)

·
Registered
386 Posts
What are the legal and practical differences today between an Aux, a Special, and a Reserve? I’m just curious, as I started my LE career as an “Aux/Special Officer” (that was what was on my old ID card) in a small MA town 46 years ago. I can’t even remember what training I got before I was put out in car with a regular Officer...... but I know it wasn’t much. (More like “here’s your badge and cap piece; buy your own uniform; and bring your own gun!”)
With the new POST system, there’s no distinction whatsoever. You’re either a police officer in Massachusetts (full-time academy, POST- certified), or you’re not.

If you were previously part-time, special, reserve, auxiliary, whatever, it’s “up or out”.

·
Duke of Campus Police
524 Posts
As pointed out, much has changed in the last 46 years. Pretty sure there are not more than 10 or 15 Aux departments even left around. Very few of those are armed and they don't have any stand alone L.E. powers or related duties. They are volunteers. The MPTC now says they are not supporting them because they are only mandated to train & certify police officers who perform "specific duties". We're all guessing that some specials are still OK, because some (not traffic only) are under 41/98 and do patrol etc. Reserves the same. The paid patrol response guys are in.

Bottom line well put by Roy above; It's qualify for Bridge Academy/Exemption (up) or you'll be done (out)

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,592 Posts
What WAS Auxiliary Police (existing under the umbrella of Civil Defense) have been Emergency Management Agencies. Whereas I doubt many, if any, possess law enforcement authority, the reform bill may not effect them, but it would be interesting to see.

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
What WAS Auxiliary Police (existing under the umbrella of Civil Defense) have been Emergency Management Agencies. Whereas I doubt many, if any, possess law enforcement authority, the reform bill may not effect them, but it would be interesting to see.
I don't remember if it is in MGL or somewhere else but my recollection is that auxiliaries have LE powers during a declared state of emergency.

Well, before this whole POST thing anyway.

·
Duke of Campus Police
524 Posts
I don't remember if it is in MGL or somewhere else but my recollection is that auxiliaries have LE powers during a declared state of emergency.

Well, before this whole POST thing anyway.
Civil Defense Act
(Acts 1950, chapter 639)

When do you think was the last time the POTUS or Governor declared a state of emergency and specifically activated these "auxiliaries"? I'll bet it was the Blizzard of 78 and that's only a Maybe. Can anyone else state with any certainty?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Civil Defense Act
(Acts 1950, chapter 639)

When do you think was the last time the POTUS or Governor declared a state of emergency and specifically activated these "auxiliaries"? I'll bet it was the Blizzard of 78 and that's only a Maybe. Can anyone else state with any certainty?
I don’t think the Governor can activate local auxiliary police, that would be up to the cities and towns.

Wasn’t there a state of emergency declared for the Covid “pandemic”?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,803 Posts
I don’t think the Governor can activate local auxiliary police, that would be up to the cities and towns.

Wasn’t there a state of emergency declared for the Covid “pandemic”?
Pretty certain that the Governor can do that. When Civil Defense became FEMA and MEMA here, the authority still exists. If you read that old statute it even talks about auxiliary police being requisitioned to go outside to other jurisdictions at the behest of the Governor. If there ever was a nuclear war, or a zombie apocalypse, we'd have these folks around when the regulars all went home to die with their families......
👮‍♂️
BTW you're right about state of emergency declarations, but Auxiliary, much like the National Guard, has to be specifically called up by his lordship.

Reactions: CCCSD

·
Registered
518 Posts
I once met a girl at a bar who told me she was on the job with the “Billerica Emergency Management Police”. I later found out that’s the most whacker way of saying ‘Billerica Auxiliary Police’ ever created. Idk what happened to her but she was a legit weirdo, does Billerica still have an APD? Just curious

·
Registered
386 Posts
I once met a girl at a bar who told me she was on the job with the “Billerica Emergency Management Police”. I later found out that’s the most whacker way of saying ‘Billerica Auxiliary Police’ ever created. Idk what happened to her but she was a legit weirdo, does Billerica still have an APD? Just curious
This should clear things up a bit. 🙄

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
Billerica has been Billerica Emergency Management Agency (BEMA) for as far as I can remember. No idea if they are still around or not.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I may have married her.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts