Maine State Police | MassCops

Maine State Police

Discussion in 'Maine' started by tigerwoody, Jul 7, 2003.

1. tigerwoody

tigerwoody MassCops Member

anyone in the academy this aug 18? I am taking the ALERT and PT test aug 6. anyone know how hard the ALERT test is? It is like the civil service exam? How hard are the other processes? Thanks again guys

2. union1

union1 Subscribing Member

Tiger, How are you taking both tests the same day? Ill be taking the Alert test This wed. I was told you need to take and Pass the Alert to take the PT, this would not be on the same day. Also, dont you need to have both of these completed by the time u just apply to MSP?

I hope I didnt get bum information on this one?

3. tigerwoody

if u pass the ALERT test, you take the PT test the same day. Then u hand in the application/resume once both are passed. If the criteria is met on the app you go on a hiring list. If there are openings, which there are, they will pull from the list and you will proceed to the interviews and med exams. hope this helps and good luck

4. union1

im going to have to make a call.. I was told something completely different. Unless can you opt not to take the PT the same day and do it the Next Scheduled Test date?

5. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

I know this might not be relevant seeing as it was over five years ago but I took the written and the PAT on the same day when I had applied there. As far as the test it was your standard multiple choice civil service type exam, at the time. Just study the Acor State Trooper guide and you'll do fine

6. tigerwoody

http://www.state.me.us/dps/msp/home.htm

Union1 check this web site out.

Hey if u end up going aug5th for whatever reason, maybe we can carpool or something...no point in taking two cars up there for a 5 hour drive.

anyways stay in touch and let me know how the written test is. Good luck

7. union1

I dont know if you know this, But you can take the ALERT test in South Portland ME and shave off 2 hours of drive time. ill be leaving at 6am tomroow... damn, i never wanna see that time again

8. union1

Took the test this morning heres what it entitles..

Test is 160 Questions

60 Reading comp questions

100 questions consisting of Spelling, Grammar, the standard what statement sounds better and 1 section on setnences containing facts.

78 is the highest score you can receive
    37 is the lowest

45 is average

The test overall should have much more respect than the MA Civil Circus test, this test actualy required thinking.

If you want to do good on this test, be sure you can spell VERY well.

Also, make sure you do well on this because as was told to me alot of departments in Maine require a minimum score (Say a 50 for anytown ME) even though the passing is 37.

Tiger, PM me, I wanna ask you something

Rob

9. beau

beau New Member

How often do they run an academy?

10. mopar6972

mopar6972 Subscribing Member

the MCJA runs academies twice yearly, one starting in Feb, and usually one in June or July. Everyone is dumped into the academy, municipal, state, county. Vasselboro is pretty much a castle. The Maine SP runs PT tests one a month, and its probably easier to do the ALERT in South Portland, at Southern Maine techincal College, the contact there is Ron Gregor I believe. Im pretty familiar with the Maine process if you have any questions...Pm me

11. tigerwoody

Will i see anyone at the academy this wednesday aug 6th??

12. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

Well tiger you almost would have seen me, but York didnt hire mem bnad they were talking about sending me the academy despite that I have already been. You outta have 2 ni there from York, anyway Good luck. Mopar I'm in the first stages of the Portland Process, but have not taken the alert test yet. what does it consist of and is it difficult. Any info would be appreciated.

13. union1

How r you in the first stage for Portland? The test isnt till the 16th of Aug?

hey Tiger, good luck... Let me know how it works out for you. Ill be heading up there next month for the PAT

14. union1

Earth to Tiger.. howd you make out...

Anyone taking the Portland Exam next week? Did I miss something, the PAT portion is the same day at that location? I thought I read that it would be sometime AFTER the test? SURPRISE!!!

15. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

I'm in the first stage cause I'm in the LATERAL entry process, and I'm taking the Agility on 9/9

16. tigerwoody

It took me 5 hours to get there. The MCJA is in the boonies surrounding farms and nothing else. It took 7 hours to get back with the Boston traffic. Despite the long hours on the road, needless to say, I passed both the written and PAT exams. The PAT was very easy, although u run indoors and it is very muggy and dry in there. The reading comp portion was very very tough and a lot of people didnt finish. A lot of people failed the written and were not allowed to take the PAT exam. The personnel and law enforcement officers there are very nice people and very helpful. They were very motivational to the people that struggled during the PAT exam. So right now i am filling out my app and making photocopies of all my IDs/Certs etc to hand in to the state police. Troop G has openings and it would be great to get in there. It is a long process but not as long as it would take in MA. They are pulling off this exam for the polie academy in Feb. Good luck to all that go for it.

17. Tackleberry22

Tackleberry22 New Member

Is it too late to sign up or do they run the test all year? Also key thing for is what is there vision requirement? They didn't have it posted on the web page?

18. tigerwoody

They run it all year round.....twice a month, every other wednesday. you have to call to make an appointment. Their vision requirements just require you to have your vision corrected to 20/20....very lenient. It is on their site and thats what they told me at the academy.

19. beau

beau New Member

Where is troop G at?

20. beau

beau New Member

Also how many are they looking to hire??? Did they mention anything about academy size?

21. tigerwoody

Troop G is southern maine. I don't know how many they are hiring

22. mopar6972

mopar6972 Subscribing Member

Troop G is in South Portland...

23. tigerwoody

Well, i have a Oral Interview on Friday September 5th...anyone going up there? Any tips or questions i need to pay special attention to? This is my first board interview so i am a bit anxious. Thanks

24. union1

Good Luck tiger.... Lemme know how you make out. I have to head up there soon.

Rob

25. tigerwoody

Thanks rob....

It was brutal....the interview was over an hour and they really tried to tap into your head. Every guy that walked out was sweaty. I'll let you know how i make out when i get a letter with my score.