Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard some 500+ of the Mass. national guard are being activated for New Orleans cleanup. Anyone know what unit/s?

·
Masscops Therapist
7,306 Posts
Barbrady said:
I heard some 500+ of the Mass. national guard are being activated for New Orleans cleanup. Anyone know what unit/s?
According to the worcester telegram, the 1st bn 181 infantry and 1st bn 104th infantry have both been mobilized.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It is mostly Army National Guard but there are a few Air National Guard Security Policemen from the 102nd Fighter Wing at Otis that are attached to them as well.

G

·
MSP75 said:
One of my pals in the 211th MP Bn (MA Army NG) said they are sending some of their guys there.
HHD 211th sent 14 troops to New Orleans along with straff from MAARNG Milford,ma.

·
MassCops Member
218 Posts
MSP75 said:
I hope that is just an advance party. I am sure it is out of the Bn's hands if it is not.
Was one of the AF cops activated... definately go the royal screw from our base as far as pay and benefits.... Nice to know our people back home are looking out for you while we were on "Annual Training" in down town Mogadishu oops I mean New Orleans, thats right our orders said Annual Training!

·
Registered
715 Posts
AFCOP - Brother AF SP here. The system that cuts the orders seems to be out of date and not very user-friendly. It has nothing to do with you being "screwed" by the folks back home at your base. When I was on active duty for Operations Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom every single leave and earnings statement that we got said "Active Duty for Training" in the remarks section at the bottom of the LES. We were told that is just what the pay system is programmed to print. As far as the pay and benefits go, you were only down there for a few weeks so you would not be entitled to the full BAH, BAS, etc.

Bottom line is you guys dropped what you were doing in your civilian lives, went down there, worked in dirty, dangerous conditions, and helped other Americans in a time of great need. That is what being in the National Guard and Reserves is all about. You should be proud of what you did, I wish I could have gone with you guys.

Defensor Fortis

·
MassCops Member
218 Posts
militia_man said:
AFCOP - Brother AF SP here. The system that cuts the orders seems to be out of date and not very user-friendly. It has nothing to do with you being "screwed" by the folks back home at your base. When I was on active duty for Operations Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom every single leave and earnings statement that we got said "Active Duty for Training" in the remarks section at the bottom of the LES. We were told that is just what the pay system is programmed to print. As far as the pay and benefits go, you were only down there for a few weeks so you would not be entitled to the full BAH, BAS, etc.

Bottom line is you guys dropped what you were doing in your civilian lives, went down there, worked in dirty, dangerous conditions, and helped other Americans in a time of great need. That is what being in the National Guard and Reserves is all about. You should be proud of what you did, I wish I could have gone with you guys.

Defensor Fortis
I am extremely proud of what we did, and definately learned alot about myself going down there...
But from what we have been told they tagged 'Annual Training in support of Op. Katrina" on our orders because they had AT days to use and the end of the FY was approaching, the Army MP's that we went down with had orders cut for 30 days and got full pay and allowances, we did not, typical Otis BS. In any event I'm glad I went and made a difference how ever big or small in the lives of our fellow Americans...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Are you certain the Army Guard MP's got full allowances? In most cases you have to be on active duty for more than 139 days to get the full active duty allowances. On the other side of the coin, I heard the Air Force took care of you guys by getting you out of there on a C-130, while the Army Guard unit you were attached to was stuck waiting for days to get a train ride home. I realize that you are still fairly new to the blue, but you should be thankful for the way the Air Force looks after Airmen. There are a lot of Soldiers in Iraq right now that would love to trade their one year + deployment for an Airman's 4-6 month deployment. Be safe Airman.

·
MassCops Member
218 Posts
militia_man said:
Are you certain the Army Guard MP's got full allowances? In most cases you have to be on active duty for more than 139 days to get the full active duty allowances. On the other side of the coin, I heard the Air Force took care of you guys by getting you out of there on a C-130, while the Army Guard unit you were attached to was stuck waiting for days to get a train ride home. I realize that you are still fairly new to the blue, but you should be thankful for the way the Air Force looks after Airmen. There are a lot of Soldiers in Iraq right now that would love to trade their one year + deployment for an Airman's 4-6 month deployment. Be safe Airman.
Yeah we actaully got our selves out of LA, our unit gave us the go ahead ( the shorts version) and we found our ride out of there, There wasnt actually any plan to get us home we figured that part out ourselves... being the resourceful "sky soildiers" that we are we lucked out to catch just enough room on an AC going to RI, with the RIARNG MP's heading home. Yeah I work with one of the guys who went with us from the 181, here at my civilian job and through the course of swapping stories learned that they were paid for 30 days with full BAH, we got our orders amended the day after we got home (they wouldnt even pay us until the end of the week) and got BAH type II which for me worked out to be about $200, a far cry from the $1,385 that I'm allowed for Boston under regular BAH (or any portion there of)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.