Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
PJM,

Once the list from the new test is established (usually a few months after the test), you are probably going to be out of luck, unless you are higher on the new list than the old list. I think I may take it myself, despite the longer drive if I transfer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is this DOC test the same as civil service test? Do you get to pick which jail you want to work for, etc. I would like the Berkshire House of Corrections. Is that part of this test? I am looking at Corrections to gain experience if I don't get the job in the city that I am in the running for right now. Is corrections a good experience to have or is it a waste of time if you want to be a police officer?

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
JMaz,

This test is just for Massachusetts Department of Corrections Facilities. The test does not apply for the county Sheriff's Departments Jail's or Houses of Correction, such as Berkshire County. If you go the the DOC's website, you can take a look at the facilities they run, and see if there's one near you.
As far as experience, I think it has been good for me. I've learned how to better deal with difficult people, and a lot about how working for the state works. It's a good stepping stone, but unless your hell bent on being a corrections officer for the rest of your life, not something to make a career out of. Do a few years, and find something else. Just my opinion though.

·
2,297 Posts
PearlOnyx said:
As far as experience, I think it has been good for me. I've learned how to better deal with difficult people, and a lot about how working for the state works. It's a good stepping stone, but unless your hell bent on being a corrections officer for the rest of your life, not something to make a career out of. Do a few years, and find something else. Just my opinion though.
I wholeheartedly agree on both points. You definitely learn how to "sweet talk" real jerks, and you learn a lot about politics. And unless you just don't care, do what Pearl says and GET OUT as soon as you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.