Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently MPA attorney Doug Lewison represented the Boston Housing Authority in an MCAD complaint / hearing against a Boston Housing Police Officer who they are trying to involuntary retire. This officer brought the MCAD complaint against the Boston Housing Authority for unfair labor practices and for being singled out as a union representative / E-Board member. This officer is a member of the MPA but is not a member of the Legal Defense Fund within the MPA.
Within the last year, the Boston Housing Authority hired Lewison to represent them with a case in Federal Court where a plaintiff charged another Boston Housing Authority Police Officer along with a Boston Municipal Police Officer with federal civil rights charges. Charges against the BHA officer was dismissed.
I did not think that MPA attorney Lewison would take a case or hearing against an acive MPA member even though they are not a member of the LDF but he did. I may be wrong but I would think of this as a conflict of interest on the MPA's part. I liken it to having your town / city / county / state hiring an active IBPO / MassCop / SPAM attorney to represent them during contract negotiations with your union or local. Sitiing on both sides of the table so to speak.
I for one am outraged at this behavior and will not be renewing my MPA LDF next year for this fact alone. I urge all members who actually care to notify their MPA representative and ask around about this scenario. It can be you next time. All I can say is "Et Tu, Brutus?"

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,755 Posts
Re: M.P.A. Legal Defense Fund & Doug Lewison - What's go

Verrrrrrrrry Interesting! WTF? :roll:

·
Subscribing Member
228 Posts
Re: M.P.A. Legal Defense Fund & Doug Lewison - What's go

I would have to agree, member of the legal defense program or not. If your a MPA member, I would think that's a conflict or just an unwritten rule not to take such cases against Police officers. But then again folks, we are talking about lawyers. They sue their own mother.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.