Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know the specifice laws on being a police officer and carrying a gun if you are under the age of 21? I got a summer job and i am not 21 but I plan on having my own gun. Do I have to leave the gun at my station at the end of my shift or can I bring it home since I will be within the scope of my employment with the PD? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got hired as a summer officer when I was only 20, and the department didnt ask anything about an LTC. I did however have an LTC because I obtained it prior to the 1998 change requiring a person be 21 as opposed to 18. It probably depends on the Dept. you are working for. send me a PM and Ill try to elaborate more on my exerience with this issue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's up to the department to on whether or not they will issue you a fire arm. Most likely you will have to leave your fire arm at the station at the end of your shift. Technically you can not carry a fire arm home with you after work if you do not have a LTC.

·
Registered
665 Posts
MDCM
You should really look into your departments policy and get something in writing. I'm not 100% sure , but I think if you carry under the badge it has to be a department issued weapon. Also check your P.D's policy, if you were to use a non-issued weapon while in preformence of your duty. Some departments won't back you up, because if a law suit arises, the question of who trained you and certified you on the use of that weapon will most likely come up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EPD,

The department is having us qualify with our weapon the first week that we are up there. I talked to a supervisor today and he said that it is not carrying under the badge until i am sworn in, which is the second week i am at the cape. So I perception is that once i am SWORN IN then i can carry at any time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anyone can help me figure this one out....

CHAPTER 41. OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES OF CITIES, TOWNS AND DISTRICTS.

Chapter 41: Section 98. Powers and duties.

Section 98. The chief and other police officers of all cities and towns shall have all the powers and duties of constables except serving and executing civil process. They shall suppress and prevent all disturbances and disorder. They may carry within the commonwealth such weapons as the chief of police or the board or officer having control of the police in a city or town shall determine ; provided, that any law enforcement officer of another state or territory of the United States may, while on official business within the commonwealth, carry such weapons as are authorized by his appointing authority.
Does this mean that i can have it at my house off duty as long as the chief says its ok?

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
You can carry a firearm under your badge if the Chief allows it while on-duty. Off-Duty you can carry your water pistol until you reach 21. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When i say carry i mean just driving with it in my car from the station to my house, and then bring it into my house. i don't mean carrying on my side while i am off duty.

·
Registered
665 Posts
MCDM
The way the law reads can be very vague. If the Department you are working for gives you the o.k., you should be able to carry at all times under the badge. Like I said earlier try to get the P.D's policies, instead of trying to interpet MGL/c's. A few years ago a buddy of mine worked down the cape and the Department would not let summer appointees take thier firearms home, they had to leave them at the station. The reason being that most of the summer appointees were rooming together an things must of got out of hand at one time or another.
If you are sworn in by a P.D. whos policy states that you must leave your weapon at the station and thats a condition of hire, then you probably would not be covered under MGL'S/c. If there the ones who gave you the badge, thier the ones that can take it away.
Like I said earlier, I am not 100% sure of this, its just my opinion. One thing for sure is if the department requires you to leave it at the station, do it. Don't get jammed up by carrying off duty, if your not authorized to do so. Any summer app. looks great on a resume, but not if they have something like that to say about you and believe me, they will.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Regardless if you can or can't carry on the badge, I don't think you'll be able to buy a pistol without a valid LTC. Many dealers won't even allow you to handle a pistol without one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to get my own gun becuase i want to be able to shoot it and know that no one else has handled it. If i cant bring it home i will see if the dept will let me keep it in the station while i am off duty. I need to qualify with it so i want to practice with it before the summer.

DH,
that is why i have someone that has an LTC buy one for me....then i am covered under the badge once i am sworn in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Chapter 140: Section 131E. Purchase by residents; licenses; firearm identification cards; purchase for use of another; penalties; revocation of licenses or cards; reissuance.

".... no firearm or ammunition or ammunition feeding device therefor shall be sold to any person less than 21 years of age. Any person who uses said license to carry firearms or firearm identification card for the purpose of purchasing a firearm, rifle or shotgun for the unlawful use of another, or for resale to or giving to an unlicensed person, shall be punished by a fine of not less than one thousand nor more than fifty thousand dollars, or by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than ten years in a state prison, or by both such fine and imprisonment. A conviction of a violation of this section shall be reported forthwith by the court to the licensing authority which issued the license or firearm identification card, which shall immediately revoke the license or firearm identification card of such person. No new license or firearm identification card under section one hundred and twenty-nine B or section one hundred and thirty-one shall be issued to any such person within two years after the date of said revocation."

·
Registered
145 Posts
Originally posted by csauce30:
I got hired as a summer officer when I was only 20, and the department didnt ask anything about an LTC. I did however have an LTC because I obtained it prior to the 1998 change requiring a person be 21 as opposed to 18. It probably depends on the Dept. you are working for. send me a PM and Ill try to elaborate more on my exerience with this issue.
The particular agency that Chris is refering too only allowed us to carry dept issued weapon and we had to leave the weapon in station after the shift.
PS, Chris give me a buzz. Fighting 3-11!

·
Registered
665 Posts
You cannot have someone purchase a handgun for you if you don't have a LTC, it's illegal. If caught, you could forget about any employment with a PD and the person who bought it for you would lose his/her LTC among other things. As far as I know, carrying under the badge only applies when you are on duty. As for leaving your gun at the station, what's the big deal? You will probably be issued a locker to store your weapon and gear in anyway, so you don't have to worry about anyone messing with your stuff. I would leave your weapon at the station if I were you, don't worry about taking it home. My dept issues the summers/specials their duty weapons and requires them to leave them in their lockers at the station along with all their equipment. If you are worried about practicing/qualifying with your weapon, talk to the supervisor in charge of the summer specials- he/she may arrange extra time at the range for you.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Originally posted by MCDM:
Well, i guess i wont be doing that now...but how far can an FID get me in the situation? anywhere?
Sure - you can go hunting next fall! :D

Seriously, you will most likely end up carrying a department weapon under your badge, and leaving it at the station. What's the big deal? Less hassle, less expense... if I were you, I would definitely prefer it that way. :confused:

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
No LTC no purchase of a firearm. You can carry a department issue gun on your badge and in uniform only, but you have to turn it in at the end of your shift. Like Tomahawk said keep it locked at the station less problems that way you will not forget it in the bathroom lol. Seriously if you are to bring it home make sure you are in your uniform that way some layman does not report that there is a guy with a gun etc...

·
Registered
5 Posts
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG THE RENEWAL PROCESS TAKES FOR THE LTC CLASS A. I RENEWED MINE 2 AND A HALF MONTHS AGO AND MY OLD LTC JUST RAN OUT A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO. THE PD HAS NOT RECIEVED MY NEW ONE YET AND SAID THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, SHOULD BE IN SHORTLY. THEY HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR SOMETIME NOW. I AM KIND OF WORRIED BECAUSE TECHNICALLY I HAVE AN ILLEGAL FIREARM IN MY SAFE. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA ON WHAT I SHOULD DO.

·
Registered
561 Posts
bumc, I have been waiting for my Class A since everything was submitted back on Valentine's Day. I keep getting the "it should be in any day now..." line...

-Mike

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.