Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interviewing for an LT position on a campus P.D. I'm preparing for the interview and I was hoping to get some pointers or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sports,

• Educate yourself with the college. (know the President and Chiefs name)
  • Wear a suit.
  • Colleges want to hear community policing, community policing and some more community policing.
  • If you are asked questions about arresting students (you probably wont be but maybe) you should consider saying 2 things, If student affairs can handle it you would turn it over to them and if you can summons the person you would prefer to do that rather then arrest them on the spot.

That's my 2 cents for now. Good luck!

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,421 Posts
Sports,

• Educate yourself with the college. (know the President and Chiefs name)
  • Wear a suit.
  • Colleges want to hear community policing, community policing and some more community policing.
  • If you are asked questions about arresting students (you probably wont be but maybe) you should consider saying 2 things, If student affairs can handle it you would turn it over to them and if you can summons the person you would prefer to do that rather then arrest them on the spot.
That's my 2 cents for now. Good luck!
That's a very good 2 cents. As for arresting the students, I'd take it a little further by saying things like "Sometimes they need guidance and the police are there to help in that guidance."

Of course, bottom line, you do what you gotta do, but always smile and tell them the nice stuff they want to hear. I'm a believer that we're there to act as a sort of surrogate parent to a certain degree, and all the community policing stuff, but I'm not entrenched in it. Since many college administrators are, give 'em the soft soap. College Policing IS community policing in almost it's purest form. You got to walk that line between being a COP and a campus cop. Go too far either way on a college campus and you may as well just quit for another job. Too much of a COP and you'll get frustrated real fast and end up with more stress than you can shake a stick at. Too much of a campus cop and you'll end up wondering what the hell you ever went to a police academy for. No matter where you work, you can find a happy median, and if you can't, you just added something to a resume.

If you think community policing is total bullcrap, maybe you shouldn't go for a job at a college, but if you have sincerity behind your answers, you'll be fine.

Sorry, I guess I went overboard on the philosophy.

I wish you all the luck in the world. If you get the job, just don't let the troops down, Be a LEADER, not a boss.

I used the terms COP and campus cop in their exaggerated definitions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well stated. Sports2398 if you follow the advice Kilvinsky & Badge 2 have given you, you will have a long successful campus career.

·
18,421 Posts
Well stated. Sports2398 if you follow the advice Kilvinsky & Badge 2 have given you, you will have a long successful campus career.
That's a quote that could be taken a few different ways depending on who says it. :)

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Kilvinsky says:
That's a very good 2 cents. As for arresting the students, I'd take it a little further by saying things like "Sometimes they need guidance and the police are there to help in that guidance."

and expanding on that: "The police a are part of the student support team, with the ability to help the student access the broad spectrum of community resources available."

Remember...The goal is to get hired, get through probation, and THEN you can start kicking ass all over campus. By then you'll be worn out by all the BS from the little snot-noses and the warm-fuzzy Dean of Students and you'll need to vent.

·
18,421 Posts
Woody old boy, how did you get ahold of a Administrative Board session photo, you old scoundrel! hee hee hee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, this is all really great advice. I'll keep you all informed of my progress. Thanks again!

Sports2398

·
Registered
843 Posts
Not trying to be a dick or anything but, if you dont know enough to wear a suite to a job interview, then you probably shouldnt have the job.

I assume your applying for the NSCC Lt. Job. If so, your going to need to earn the respect of those that work under you. You will also be the whipping boy of the admin. Good Luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts