·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lowell trying to dump dedicated cop
By Peter Gelzinis
Friday, August 15, 2008 - Added 22h ago
+ Recent Articles Boston Herald Columnist

We’ve all heard the tawdry tale of Albert Arroyo, the muscle-bound Boston firefighter with the greased physique and the skimpy Speedo. Though he looks like he can bench-press a small automobile, Albert insists he’s unable to carry his inspector’s clipboard.

While Arroyo looks to weasel a full disability kiss from Boston’s taxpayers, up in Lowell a veteran cop is actually fighting to go back to work and get off the tax-free disability rolls he’s been on for the past two years.

Call Robert “Bob” Dyer the anti-Arroyo.

This is a public servant who has enlisted his union lawyer in a tong war against the city of Lowell’s efforts to end his police career with an involuntary retirement. In addition to working as a street cop for 15 years, Dyer is also one of maybe 100 internationally certified police instructors.

That’s important because the traumatic brain injury he suffered 2 years ago occurred during a training session with recruits at Lowell’s police academy.

“My specialty was defense tactics, and the means of instruction is what’s known as force-on-force drills,” Dyer explained. His lawyer, Michael Brennan, described it in civilian terms: “Basically, he would get into a padded suit and urge the recruits to try and beat the crap out of him, sometimes as much as 30 times a day.”

Even though the aptly named “fist suit” comes with a foam helmet, Bob Dyer took three knee strokes to the head by an overzealous recruit in the role of an assailant. Neurologists would tell him that the crippling headaches and loss of memory were the result of a shearing of his frontal lobe.

“The doctors told me that this type of closed head wound usually takes about a year to heal,” Dyer said.

Six months into his convalescence, Bob Dyer walked into his local drug store to have his medication refilled. The pharmacist smiled, shook his head and told him the city refused to pay. It seems Lowell’s solicitor and claims agent had their noses out of joint by an article that turned up in the Lowell Sun. Bob Dyer, who was going “stir crazy” at home, went to the police academy to visit some friends. His picture turned up on the front page.

The solicitor, Christine O’Connor, asked Dyer to write a report. He refused, saying only his police superiors could make such a request. And his bosses agreed. Lowell caved and went on to pay for his medication, but today Dyer is convinced that was the breaking point.

Yesterday, one of those police bosses, who asked that his name not be used, said it was easy to stand with Bob Dyer, “because he’s one helluva a cop. A great worker and an even better teacher.”

You should know that Bob Dyer had hoped to be back at work six months ago. He’s already agreed that he can no longer don a fist suit and run the risk of getting kicked in the head again. You should also know that five out of six neurologists, most of them working for the city, have agreed that there’s no reason why Bob Dyer can’t go back to work and resume his normal police duties.

Before Lowell’s retirement board, Bob Dyer’s counsel, Mike Brennan, said he never in his wildest dreams imagined he would be arguing to have his client go back to work. Not at a time when people are falling down stairs to fake their way into retirement.

The Lowell Retirement Board agreed with Brennan and denied the city of Lowell’s request to banish Bob Dyer with an involuntary retirement. Here’s the punchline: Lowell has appealed its own retirement board’s decision to the state.

And a devoted, seasoned cop sits at home, doing what Albert Arroyo would love to do - collect 100 percent of his base pay tax-free. The difference is, this Lowell cop hates every minute of it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am not surprised he wants to get back. I was in a week long class with Bob, absolutely a great teacher. After class a group of us would hang out, he would have us all rolling telling jokes and stories. This article just shows what type of individual he is.

Good luck Bob, I wish you the best.

G

·
Good Luck Officer Dyer. I had the pleasure of being in 2 DT classes with you, and getting sprayed by you in OC class... I distinctly remember you smiling while you did it... sick fucker.

You are a stand up guy.

G

·
I don't know Dyer at all but "traumatic brain injury" is a pretty harsh term.

If he agrees he should no longer fight with recruits while wearing the Red Man suit, should he really be on the street mixing it up with real bad guys and no head protection?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
I don't know Dyer at all but "traumatic brain injury" is a pretty harsh term.

If he agrees he should no longer fight with recruits while wearing the Red Man suit, should he really be on the street mixing it up with real bad guys and no head protection?
Bruce,

Did you inhale a wiff of "Chief Gas" recently?
Just kiddin buddy
:D

G

·
Bruce,

Did you inhale a wiff of "Chief Gas" recently?
Just kiddin buddy
:D
If I did, then I'd be saying he should have been back to work yesterday. :cool:

I'm sure Dyer is a great guy and a great cop, I'm just wondering if his love of the job is clouding his judgment, that's all.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I remember him from DT at Lowell when I was a student officer. Actually got a few minutes to talk to him. Definately a great cop/teacher and all around good guy. I wish him the best of luck.

·
Masscops Therapist
7,306 Posts
I had a choice of beiing sprayed by either Officer Dyer Or Officer Chuck Dichiara, I chose Dichiara because he seemed less sadistic than Bob. Afterwards I got to know Bob, and he if definitely a stand up guy IMHO. I wish him the best. Keep fighting the good fight Officer Dyer.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
All I have to say. Imagine your kids being all grown up. Being at home all recovered from whatever injury and watching reruns of ER and shows on the History and Military Channel. Sounds cool for about a month. Imagine doing that for a year. Borrrrrring. I would go nuts and try to get myself locked up in the nut house just for fun if I could never go back to work. Until I retire.

G

·
All I have to say. Imagine your kids being all grown up. Being at home all recovered from whatever injury and watching reruns of ER and shows on the History and Military Channel. Sounds cool for about a month. Imagine doing that for a year. Borrrrrring. I would go nuts and try to get myself locked up in the nut house just for fun if I could never go back to work. Until I retire.
I can't wait to pull the pin, but I'm not retiring at 55 in the sense you mentioned. Whatever I do after the leave the PD, it's not going to involve badges & guns.

G

·
This is an absolute joke! Chris O'Connor should loose her job over this. It's amazing how she feels she is so untouchable. I think that everyone who reads this thread and feels the same way, should contact the city manager and let him know how you feel. He can be reached at [email protected].
Please pass this on to everyone you can because someday they could do to each and everyone of us what they are doing to Officer Dyer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts