Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOWELL, Mass. -- A police officer was injured in a car accident Sunday evening.
The accident happened just before 7:30 p.m. and involved one other car.
The officer was taken to Lowell General Hospital with minor injuries.
The driver of the other car refused treatment.
Officials are investigating.

Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
LOWELL -- Police Officer Timothy Whalen was being treated for serious injuries after another motorist ran a stop sign and drove into the path of his patrol car on Riverside Street police said.
A passenger in the other vehicle suffered minor injuries, police said.
Ambulances took both men to Lowell General Hospital for treatment.
"(Whalen) is being treated for serious but not life-threatening injuries," police said in a released statement.
Initial reports indicated he suffered a head injury.
Police did not immediately release the second victim's name, but residents at 391 Riverside St., which overlooks the intersection with Sparks Street, identified him as their 29-year-old housemate, Jason Crawford.
The man was awake and talking afterward.
"He said he banged his head," said Tricia Tremblay, of 361 Riverside St., who heard the crash and ran outside. "He said, 'aw, you shouldn't have called my mom.'"
Both victims were being evaluated in the hospital's emergency room.
Matthew Reardon, 28, of Lowell, was driving the black 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo southbound when it went though a stop sign at the intersection for Riverside Street about 7:18 p.m., said Lt. Timothy Crowley.
Whalen could not stop his cruiser in time and broadsided the Chevrolet.
Both cars spun around. The Chevrolet went off the road, knocked down a directional sign and hit a concrete stanchion broadside but missed a nearby utility pole and trees.
Trung Hong of Alma Street was walking his dog and saw the accident unfold within feet of him and his dachshund.
"The black car ran the stop sign," Hong said. "I don't know if he didn't see it or what but he zoomed by."
Reardon was taken to the police station to be interviewed by police then issued a ticket for failing to stop at the stop sign. The violation carries a $150 fine.
Crowley said the airbags deployed on the police car and on the driver's side in the Chevrolet.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts