Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

41 - 60 of 392 Posts

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,422 Posts
A few things about the department for those of you who are interested:

- 10,000 sworn officers (I recall an early episode of "Dragnet" where Jack Webb mentions there are about 2000. Nice to know it's grown to a reasonable number.)
- Full time dedicated SWAT team with about 70 members
- 18 helicopters in Air Support Division, the biggest in the country (Boston only has one or two and oddly enough, with each movie and TV show, they look different.)
- Mounted Unit
- K-9s which include: suspects, bombs, narcotics, guns, all of which are different dogs
- Full time dedicated Bomb Squad
- Gang units / Narcotics units
- MS-13, 18th Street, Bloods, Crips, and lots of other gangs (This is a BENEFIT? Are these the Fraternal Organizations you have the choice of joining?)
- Anti-Terrorism units
- Motors (I would hope so, otherwise you gotta FRED FLINTSTONE the car.)
- Crime suppression platoons (PLATOONS? What do all the rest of the cops do who AREN'T in Crime Suppression?)
- Specialized detectives and table detectives (Detecting tables ISN'T considered a specialty?)
- Hazardous Materials unit
- Task forces with FBI, DEA, ATF
- City of LA is 465 square miles, pretty darn big
- Our own six-month academy
- You don't have to work dispatch, they are all civilians
- Shotguns, Tasers, Beanbag shotguns, M-16 rifles
- 21 different patrol divisions / 4 different traffic divisions
- plainclothes and undercover assignments
- 3/12 or 4/10 work schedules
- You get to pick your own days off, no 4 and 2. What's better than picking your own days off?
- Great year-round weather, which makes for year round work
- Lots of other stuff that escapes me at the moment

I have lots of pictures if anyone wants to see stuff. Unfortunately I'm not computer savvy or I'd put them on here.

ACTUALLY, SOME VERY GOOD INFO HERE. I hope you realize I'm just screwing around and I honestly back up nightowl1970 in his comments!

Reactions: BxDetSgt

·
Subscribing Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hi Kilv,

- I remember the Dragnet episode; it was 5000 then and that was back in 1968.
- I don't believe Boston has any helicopters, it's the Staties that have several.
- Regarding 18th Street, MS-13, etc; of course it's a benefit, it means you get to deal
with real gangsters, just like on TV!
- True about Fred Flintstone
- Crime suppression platoons are assigned to Metropolitan Division and and are a
specialized division. They don't handle radio calls; their sole mission is crime
suppression. They are assigned to crime spikes in different divisions and are
supposed to address each individual problem. This is different than regular patrol.
- We have detectives assigned to all 21 patrol divisions. We have detectives assigned to
all four traffic divisions. They are all considered table detectives. Each detective in each
division works one thing only, ie, autos or burglary or homicide or robbery, etc. We also have specialized detectives who work, narcotics, gangs, anti-terrorism, federal task forces, gun units, etc. So table detectives and specialized detectives are kinda different.

Roger on the screwing around, just thought I'd throw in a response anyway, in case anyone was wondering because you bring up some good points.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few folks have PM'ed me over the last year or so asking about the LAPD. For the last two or three years we had the expedited testing process on hold due to budget cuts. This process allowed you to travel out here and complete all the tests in one, maybe two trips, which is how I did it back in 1988. If you decide to do it, I could help you.

The process has returned and we are now doing it again. We are always hiring and nowadays have about seven or eight academy classes a year. (It used to be one a month but due to budget cuts we've cut them back.) If anyone's interested, the following websites are helpful: joinlapd.com and lapdonline.org

While you guys are freezing back there with snow and rain, it's been in the mid 70s out here. And if you like the snow, it's only an hour's drive up north. In the summer, there's no humidity and no mosquitoes either. Even if you come out here, stay on the job for a few years, receive top quality training and then go back home, at least you've got that experience behind you. It's something to think about for those of you who have been waiting for years to get on the job back there. I've been on the job out here for 25 years and I still love it, that should say something I would think. Just thought I'd put it out there.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me. Good luck.
I qualified for the expedited testing process with the LAPD and begin my testing in February. I live in Santa Clarita which is only a 30-45 minute commute, so I am guess this testing is also for people within Los Angeles. It did say the process is for highly qualified candidates, which sounds hopeful.

·
Subscribing Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I qualified for the expedited testing process with the LAPD and begin my testing in February. I live in Santa Clarita which is only a 30-45 minute commute, so I am guess this testing is also for people within Los Angeles. It did say the process is for highly qualified candidates, which sounds hopeful.
I'm curious how you qualified for the expedited process since you live so close... unless like you said, they opened it up to quality people because I can tell you we certainly haven't had too many really good people testing lately. The process is normally supposed to be for folks who live over 150 miles away.

However this goes to show you that the process is out there for those of you who want to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious how you qualified for the expedited process since you live so close... unless like you said, they opened it up to quality people because I can tell you we certainly haven't had too many really good people testing lately. The process is normally supposed to be for folks who live over 150 miles away.

However this goes to show you that the process is out there for those of you who want to take advantage of it.
I prepared myself for the waiting game that I thought would take place, so to hear that all of it can take place in one week, I was pretty thrilled. I also applied to LASD, but still waiting for that process to start.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I recently took a trip out to LA to get the process rolling for me and to see what the job was like out there. From what I saw, I am very impressed with LAPD and the way they do things out there. It is very different from here, but I would argue it is much better. First, as stated before, they are constantly hiring. They are looking to put on 300+ officers by June of this year. What department around here do you know of like that? There is no civil service exam or ranking system like here. If you score high enough on the written test, you will get a letter to continue in the process. If you qualify for the out of state process, you will do the written exam, initial background interview, polygraph, department interview, etc in one trip.

Next is the job itself. All the officers I saw were squared away and wore the uniform with pride. I wish I could say that about departments here, but I can't. They stay busy. Even the slower divisions were busier than my town here. When the radio isn't squawking, you are expected to go hunt for stuff yourself. You also won't be discouraged from being proactive out there. Unlike here, where some departments/supervisors just want you to lay low.

The opportunity to move around in the department and advance is unbelievable. As LA Copper said, there are 21 patrol divisions and 4 traffic divisions. You get to pick 3 when you get out of the academy and you will most likely get one of the three choices. There are gang units, narcotics units, and detective units attached to every patrol division. There are also special units, including SWAT, K-9, crime suppression, dive team, etc.

I was able to meet up with LA Copper while I was out there. He is a wealth of knowledge and very helpful. If any of you are looking for a change, or if you are stuck in the never ending quest of trying to find a police job in Mass, I suggest you look into LAPD, and ask LA Copper if you have any questions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I put in a request form and was denied the "one trip" process. I cant afford to fly out there multiple times, which is discouraging.
I don't know your particular situation, so I don't know why they denied you the one trip process. However, if you think you should be able to do the out of state process, and are legitimately interested in the job, there are "mentors" you can talk to. They are sworn members of the department and will fight for you if needed. Here you go:

http://www.joinlapd.com/pdf\talktomentor.pdf

·
Subscribing Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I put in a request form and was denied the "one trip" process. I cant afford to fly out there multiple times, which is discouraging.
There are several people who have PM'ed me about coming out for the process, capespecial being one of them. Maybe if you have to come out here a few times, you guys could try to do it together and help save some money.

As far as being denied, I would still recommend at least coming out to get to the background step so you can explain whatever the issue is. We are really looking to hire a bunch of people this year, at least 400 by the end of the calender year so this would be a great time for you and any other folks who want to give us a try.

My thanks to capespecial, it was a pleasure meeting you and I hope you're back out here again soon. We need more quality people in our ranks!

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
There are several people who have PM'ed me about coming out for the process, capespecial being one of them. Maybe if you have to come out here a few times, you guys could try to do it together and help save some money.

As far as being denied, I would still recommend at least coming out to get to the background step so you can explain whatever the issue is. We are really looking to hire a bunch of people this year, at least 400 by the end of the calender year so this would be a great time for you and any other folks who want to give us a try.

My thanks to capespecial, it was a pleasure meeting you and I hope you're back out here again soon. We need more quality people in our ranks!
Are you part of the recruitment team these days ? If not, you should be, you're a good ambassador to the department. Hope all is going well with you. Take care and be safe.

·
Subscribing Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hi New Guy,

Can't say that I am, just trying to help out my fellow New Englanders who are going through the same thing I did when I was trying to get on the job back there. When I read all the threads of folks having issues, and knowing we are trying to hire quality people, I thought I'd put it out there.

Hope things are going well with you too. We should get together this summer when I'm home next. it's been a while. You be safe out there too.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
Hi New Guy,

Can't say that I am, just trying to help out my fellow New Englanders who are going through the same thing I did when I was trying to get on the job back there. When I read all the threads of folks having issues, and knowing we are trying to hire quality people, I thought I'd put it out there.

Hope things are going well with you too. We should get together this summer when I'm home next. it's been a while. You be safe out there too.
Sounds good to me, it's been too long.

·
Subscribing Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I'll be back there in August for vacation in case anyone reading this thread has any questions they would like answered in person. I also have a few DVDs on the department in case you'd like to see some action.

·
Subscribing Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I have an old LAPD DVD too. It's called Color's. You may have seen it.
This movie came out a few months before I started the LAPD Academy. After seeing it I couldn't wait to get out here. I will say that it was pretty close to real life. In fact, as I later found out, many of the gangsters in the movie were real Crips and Bloods.

End of Watch was also pretty realistic. The station was the real Newton Station; the uniforms were real and the way the guys talk was real too.

41 - 60 of 392 Posts