Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

361 - 380 of 390 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 ·
SD, I'm glad you're making the most of your experience so far. You've got a ways to go yet so pace yourself. Keep me in mind if you need any future advice.

For other folks reading this thread who may be thinking of coming out west, the LAPD is always hiring. If you're serious about trying to get on out here, I'd be happy to help. And also, it's sunny and in the 80s! :)

(Disregard that whole fire thing we've had recently, that's not unusual. We have four seasons out here: Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fire. It's all part of the experience.)

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,370 Posts
Los Alamos Police Department? Will you be chasing those who chase atomic secrets?

I think I missed something. If it's outside of New England, I just sort of tune it out. An Old Homebody, nothing more, but I DO read things.

Congrats, kid, you've joining one hell of an agency.

Reactions: Sooty

·
Subscribing Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
I see we just made it to 55,000 "hits" on this thread, that's pretty cool. I'm still happy to help anyone who wants to come out west to give us a try. We're still hiring an academy class almost every month.

Over the years, I've seen on other threads regarding police jobs that people always ask about details and overtime but no one ever seems to ask about the actual police job they are applying for. While the LAPD doesn't have details, we do have plenty of actual police work., i.e. carjackings, gang shootings, vehicle pursuits, robberies, burglaries, etc. It's here where we make our extra money (crime scenes, perimeters, court), not to mention making a difference catching bad guys and helping righteous crime victims.

Call me old fashioned but I came on the job to be a cop, which means catching bad guys and making a difference, knowing full well I probably wouldn't get rich doing it. However, we do OK financially so I can't really complain. Just a 30+ year officer's opinion for what it's worth.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I see we just made it to 55,000 "hits" on this thread, that's pretty cool. I'm still happy to help anyone who wants to come out west to give us a try. We're still hiring an academy class almost every month.

Over the years, I've seen on other threads regarding police jobs that people always ask about details and overtime but no one ever seems to ask about the actual police job they are applying for. While the LAPD doesn't have details, we do have plenty of actual police work., i.e. carjackings, gang shootings, vehicle pursuits, robberies, burglaries, etc. It's here where we make our extra money (crime scenes, perimeters, court), not to mention making a difference catching bad guys and helping righteous crime victims.

Call me old fashioned but I came on the job to be a cop, which means catching bad guys and making a difference, knowing full well I probably wouldn't get rich doing it. However, we do OK financially so I can't really complain. Just a 30+ year officer's opinion for what it's worth.
Well said my friend.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The LAPD is an amazing opportunity to be a cop and to get some really good experience really fast. For me personally, when I was first applying to be a cop years ago, I could’ve cared less about money and OT and details, I just wanted to be a cop and carry a gun and do police work. The LAPD and other agencies in southern CA are a great place to do this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey everyone! Quick update:

After 6 tough months, yesterday I graduated from the LAPD Academy. It FLEW by. There were times I thought it would never end due to the overload of information (and getting screamed at lol). I grew so close to each of my classmates. I’m going to miss seeing them every day but we are all going to do great. We started with 51 and ended with 44.

My first day on the streets will be Monday, April 13th. I’m doing my probation at the historic Rampart Division and I am SO excited to get going.

LA COPPER and MassCops was a massive resource for me when I was looking into the process. He’s given me sound advice throughout the academy and has already played a big role in the development of my career. I’m just barely scratching the surface. I’m going to keep coming back and updating as much as possible. I’m sure I’ll have some great stories after my first week :D

If you want to apply and come here - DO IT. I moved all the way across the country on my own and it was the best decision I’ve ever made.

see y’all soon!

·
Subscribing Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #377 ·
Congrats SD and welcome to the "front row to the greatest show in the world!" (Pop quiz for anyone; who said that?)
Keep me in mind if I can help you now that it's gonna "get real" out on the street.

For anyone else thinking about coming out west, we're always hiring. Now you have another resource to help out.

·
Super Moderator
6,582 Posts
John Cooper

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

361 - 380 of 390 Posts