Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

321 - 340 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Well..

Flew to LA on Wednesday and had my Psych Interview on Friday. Went in around 1030 and didnt get out until 12:30pm. Very long and greuling lol. When it was done i thought i failed for sure.

I met up with LA Copper and we got lunch at the historic academy at Elysian Park. While eating I got the golden email that I PASSED my Psych Interview. LA Copper can tell ya how relieved I was lol. After eating, I was able to see just about everything and get a TON of information from him as well. He believes strongly in this department and I see why. LAPD is truly the best of the best. We didn't get a ton of time together because 1) my interview was 2 hours long and 2) the Personnel Building called me and told me I needed to come back to get finger printed again.

I had a ride along on Friday night with Newton Division. It was a blast. They had 4 officers fresh out of the academy so I was able to pick their brains and get as much info as I could.

Overall the entire process was seamless. I was lucky and had zero hiccups or bumps along the road. Its been 4 months and I finished the entire process. Now Im just waiting on an Academy date (Im thinking/hoping it will be September).

Again - If anyone has any questions, post them in here. If its something more personal that you need input on, PM LA Copper and/or myself. He is a great resource! And I can give you perspective from a brand new candidate.

I started this account with low expectations, now "SD 2 CA" may be a reality. I cant wait!!!!!
Congratulations! It sounds like you're well on your way.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,421 Posts
I actually went there and went through the process many years ago. I didn't get an e-mail, they didn't do that then, but I got a phone call saying, "Ah, hey, have you looked into (My current job), they're hiring. Ah, you're great, but, well, we don't think you're exactly what we're looking for. Really, try (my current job).

I haven't looked back since, though I drink heavily now.

BEST OF SUCCESS SD2CA!!!!!

Reactions: Goose and pahapoika

·
Registered
948 Posts
I met up with LA Copper and we got lunch at the historic academy at Elysian Park.
Many years ago I was on a listserv with an LA Sergeant and when She Who Must Be Obeyed and I were out there for a family wedding we met up at the LAPD Academy. The tour Andre' gave us was quite something, and I agree about that department. We even had lunch at the academy.

Later I did a ride-along with him (18-L-20) in his division and a bit over into 77th Street. For different opportunities, specialization, training etc. LAPD is hard to beat.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Im very excited. Im still keeping my "guard" up because - just because you pass everything doesn't mean youll get hired. This all seems surreal still so Im just waiting for that golden call! If they put me in the September academy, I wont be receiving a call until mid to late August. In the meantime, Im trying to run as much as possible and staying determined in the gym.

Ill keep everyone in here updated.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
Congratulations SD2CA !

LA Copper is a invaluable resource. To do it all over again would have loved working out there. ( if they would have taken me )

LAPD has tough standards and to make it this far speaks of your integrity and background.

Good luck !

·
18,421 Posts
LAPD has tough standards and to make it this far speaks of your integrity and background.

Good luck !
I've heard it referred to as the Nashua PD of California.

Reactions: pahapoika

·
18,421 Posts
He hasn't made ODMP yet. I'm saddened to see this. He even attempted to get away from the situation and it followed him. RIP, Brother.

Reactions: SD2CA

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats SD2CA. Best of luck with the rest of the process and your transition. What advice did the rookies at Newton give you about the academy? I wish the best for ya!
They had a similar message: focus, work hard and don't get distracted. Until then - I need to stay on top of my fitness and start preparing myself mentally for whats about to come.

LACopper gave me great advice as well. Im already studying the manual and learning different things about the department, radio codes, etc so that its not such an "ambush of information" when I get there. I made it this far by having a strong plan, studying, and learning as much as possible. That's how I will make it through the academy and probation as well.

Im a firm believer in the 5P theory - Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
I believe if you prepare 'hard' enough it is impossible to fail on things you can control. I will not fail because I didn't study hard enough. I will not fail because I'm not in good enough shape.

Im giving up everything and moving across the country for this...I cant fail. its not an option!

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
LA Copper was funny. traveling around the city he would randomly stop and say, "where are we now? "

Of course i didn't know, but was illustrating the point it's a very large city and you have to know where you are at all times.

·
Registered
14 Posts
LA Copper was funny. traveling around the city he would randomly stop and say, "where are we now? "

Of course i didn't know, but was illustrating the point it's a very large city and you have to know where you are at all times.
yup. The Sgt I was riding with did the same. I did pretty well at first. Not so much later on when we were cruising and talking a lot :confused::confused:

·
MassCops Member
316 Posts
Most of the central part of Los Angeles (City and County) is laid out in grid-like, North/South, East/West streets, with the E/W streets being (mostly) numbered. Learn the named "big" N/S and E/W streets, and you can have a pretty good handle on where you're at. Of course, that only works if you have a reasonably good innate sense of direction, i.e. which way is north, south, etc. Then, if in doubt, you can always say something like "I'm two streets east of Central and two blocks north of Imperial." Of course, you really wouldn't want to be there, unless you have at least two guns, right LA Copper?

·
Semper Occultus
226 Posts
Of course, that only works if you have a reasonably good innate sense of direction, i.e. which way is north, south, etc.
The sun always rises in the east and it always sets in the west. If you can remember that and what a compass looks like you will always know where you are looking. Night time though you don't have the sun unfortunately

·
MassCops Member
316 Posts
The sun always rises in the east and it always sets in the west. If you can remember that and what a compass looks like you will always know where you are looking. Night time though you don't have the sun unfortunately
Cloudy days can screw that up, as well! I had a new partner once who had absolutely no sense of direction. Had no clue which way was north, south, east, west, when we were driving around. Our patrol area was roughly due east of Los Angeles International Airport, and in line with the typical east to west approach for airplanes coming into LAX. And they were fairly low on approach over us so they were usually easy to see, whether day or night, a pretty steady stream of airliners heading east to west, over us, to LAX. So the final solution that I hit upon to solve this "lost" dilemma, was a conversation that went something like this: "Deputy, where is LAX from where we are at right now?" "Well, it is due west of us". "Correct. Now look up in the sky, where are all the airplanes, and where are they heading to?" "Well, they are flying towards LAX, so that direction [pointing] must be west." "Yes! And if you know that direction is west, which way is north, south and east?" ..... "OK, got it now." ..... And the problem was solved. But I never let her drive on cloudy days. A few years later, she got transferred to another Sheriff's Station, a few miles due west of where we used to work (together) and also directly in line with the airliners coming into LAX. (They were even lower and easier to spot at this place.) I was a relatively new Sergeant at this Station, and one day, I overhead some Deputies talking about the "new arrival" and how odd it was that after every call, before heading to it, she'd lean her head out the window and look up in the sky. They had a good chuckle when I explained the origin of this otherwise baffling behavior to them. Of course, they never let her drive when it was cloudy, either. (Luckily, the sun is almost always shining in Southern California!)

321 - 340 of 392 Posts