Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

301 - 320 of 393 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
It's supposed to reach record lows this week here in SD. -40! With snow! I'd rather be in CA jogging outside. Pray for us lol
I don't blame you for wanting to come out west, it's certainly better weather here than there. The beach would be a great place to go jogging, including this time of year.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,428 Posts
I don't blame you for wanting to come out west, it's certainly better weather here than there. The beach would be a great place to go jogging, including this time of year.
I wonder how a surfer dude would handle -40. o_O

Hell, he'd probably drop into the fetal state at 32. I know it's gotten pretty cold there on occasion, but it's rare. I think the only LAPD TV Cops I've ever seen in winter coats was Reid and Malloy.

Those great old nylon coats with the faux fur collars. Not perfect, but I miss them. Those collars were a God send.

Reactions: pahapoika

·
Subscribing Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
Kilv,
That's wishful thinking. Most of the surfer dudes out here, especially the ones raised out here are freezing at 50 degrees, let alone 32!

I was outside tonight at 2100 with short sleeves and was pretty comfortable, although it's supposed to go down to 55 with rain the next few days. Yikes!

·
Registered
14 Posts
There hasn't been a post in this thread for awhile so I figured I would update my personal progress and maybe give people an inspiration boost. Since I live in the Midwest, I qualified for the expedited process. As far as the testing, interviews, etc. my timeline was as follows:

03/26/19 - PQE & PFQ [PASSED]
03/27/19 - Initial Background Review [PASSED]
03/28/19 -Department Interview & Polygraph [PASSED]
03/29/19 - Written Psych, Medical, & PAT2 [PASSED]
04/16/19 - Assigned Background Detective

Im currently in backgrounds. My BI told me everything is going great and he will be submitting my file for review in roughly 2 weeks. If I pass that -> I will take the oral psych. If I pass that -> Ill get hired.

I stayed in Hacienda Heights at a hotel and took the train from El Monte to downtown LA every morning. The train was extremely efficient and on schedule literally to the second every day. It was a 15 minute quiet train ride. I recommend doing that if you want to save the most money AND avoid traffic. Youll have to walk a couple blocks but its nothing bad at all. Get a breakfast burrito inside of the train station too, btw. Best I have ever had lol.

if anyone has any questions regarding the testing, interviews or process I will be happy to help and provide insight. Im hoping to be moving to California and in the academy by the time Winter 2019 hits. Couple more months left to go until Im hired though.

Ask away If there are any questions!

·
Registered
27 Posts
There hasn't been a post in this thread for awhile so I figured I would update my personal progress and maybe give people an inspiration boost. Since I live in the Midwest, I qualified for the expedited process. As far as the testing, interviews, etc. my timeline was as follows:

Im currently in backgrounds. My BI told me everything is going great and he will be submitting my file for review in roughly 2 weeks. If I pass that -> I will take the oral psych. If I pass that -> Ill get hired.

I stayed in Hacienda Heights at a hotel and took the train from El Monte to downtown LA every morning. The train was extremely efficient and on schedule literally to the second every day. It was a 15 minute quiet train ride. I recommend doing that if you want to save the most money AND avoid traffic. Youll have to walk a couple blocks but its nothing bad at all. Get a breakfast burrito inside of the train station too, btw. Best I have ever had lol.

if anyone has any questions regarding the testing, interviews or process I will be happy to help and provide insight. Im hoping to be moving to California and in the academy by the time Winter 2019 hits. Couple more months left to go until Im hired though.

What is the PT test like? Requirements?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What is the PT test like? Requirements?
For the first test, on Tuesday, you go out to the Academy at Elysian Park. There are usually a bunch of LAPD officers out there that help run the PT test. The tests are(in order):

Sit ups in 1 minute
300m Sprint
Pushups in 1 minute
1.5 mile run

You get about 1 minute between each exercise. Most of that time is spent relaying your results to the "statistician." If you are male 20-30, they say to get a good grade you'll need at least 40 pushups and sit-ups in one minute. You'll need to run the mile under 11 minutes and the 300m sprint in 48 seconds or less. All of which is easily attainable tbh.

The second physical fitness test (PAT2) is a treadmill test. For expedited candidates, you'll do the written psych test, medical test, and PAT2 at the same time. So while you're taking the 600+ question psych test, they'll randomly pull you out to medically evaluate you. Then you go back and continue the test. Then they randomly pull you out for the PAT2. The PAT2 is NO JOKE. It sounds easy but to me it was harder than the actual 1.5 lol. It's 12 minutes long, as follows:

3 min walk on flat surface
3 min faster walk on slight incline
3 min jog on steeper incline
3 min fast run on even steeper incline

They say it simulates running the 1.5 mile in 12 minutes but...yea it was tough.

Overall, the PT test wasn't too bad. The track at the academy isn't the best so your calves/feet will kill. Otherwise it was great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am, I intend on throwing my name in the hat soon but I want to work on some of the PT requirements before I do so.
If I were you, I would put in for it as soon as you can. They'll let you schedule the expedited testing up to two months in advance I think. So lock a spot up for yourself and youll have two whole months to go hard at the fitness preparation.

Ive been steadily PMing back and forth with LA Copper the past couple months and keeping him updated. He is a good resource for info regarding the job/area/etc. If you have any specific questions, ask them in here and we can help you. If its anything that you want to keep confidential - you can PM either of us and we can help out. Again, im still in backgrounds but I can give you a general idea about the entire process other than the oral psych since I haven't taken that yet.

If you feel you have a certain weakness (oral interviews, Essay Test, etc) let me know and I can give you some tips that'll help you specifically with LAPD.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
I got hired in 1998 but wifey didn't want to move last minute. Was going to buy a home in Simi Valley was only like $240k new now they're $1 million.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank the Gods you didn't take it Yimmy! I would've never met you;)

Reactions: j809

·
Subscribing Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
I got hired in 1998 but wifey didn't want to move last minute. Was going to buy a home in Simi Valley was only like $240k new now they're $1 million.
That's a bummer, we could have been partners, like Reed and Malloy! Simi Valley is like "Cop town" nowadays. I know a lot of officers who live out there. Too bad the wife changed your future! I can relate!

·
18,428 Posts
When I recently applied, they looked at my age and physique, crumpled up my application and threw it at me. The last words I heard were, "Are you FUCKING KIDDING US? GET OUTTA HERE, ASSHOLE!"

I got on the first plane back to Boston. Sadly, it was the wrong flight and I ended up in Toronto where they placed me in custody because I never have gotten a passport and despite my Canadian ancestry, they beat me daily until the next flight to...

TAMPA! WTF?!?!?!

·
18,428 Posts
Thank God for Amtrak.

Who also refused to hire me, regardless of my family's history with the railroad*. Damn.

*Dad for a number of years, grandfather for his career, his step-father, my uncle for his career...etc. No fare. Pun intended.

Reactions: pahapoika

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well..

Flew to LA on Wednesday and had my Psych Interview on Friday. Went in around 1030 and didnt get out until 12:30pm. Very long and greuling lol. When it was done i thought i failed for sure.

I met up with LA Copper and we got lunch at the historic academy at Elysian Park. While eating I got the golden email that I PASSED my Psych Interview. LA Copper can tell ya how relieved I was lol. After eating, I was able to see just about everything and get a TON of information from him as well. He believes strongly in this department and I see why. LAPD is truly the best of the best. We didn't get a ton of time together because 1) my interview was 2 hours long and 2) the Personnel Building called me and told me I needed to come back to get finger printed again.

I had a ride along on Friday night with Newton Division. It was a blast. They had 4 officers fresh out of the academy so I was able to pick their brains and get as much info as I could.

Overall the entire process was seamless. I was lucky and had zero hiccups or bumps along the road. Its been 4 months and I finished the entire process. Now Im just waiting on an Academy date (Im thinking/hoping it will be September).

Again - If anyone has any questions, post them in here. If its something more personal that you need input on, PM LA Copper and/or myself. He is a great resource! And I can give you perspective from a brand new candidate.

I started this account with low expectations, now "SD 2 CA" may be a reality. I cant wait!!!!!

301 - 320 of 393 Posts