Los Angeles Police Department | Page 15 | MassCops

Los Angeles Police Department

Discussion in 'Beyond New England' started by LA Copper, Jan 10, 2014.

1. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

Joel98 likes this.
  2. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Hi Colonel,

The National Asian Peace Officers' Association is having a Leadership Training Symposium at that location so I'm guessing our recruiting folks are piggy backing on that to see what's up.

Maybe I'll take a drive by and say hello. Would you like to join me there?

02136colonel, pahapoika and Joel98 like this.
  3. LA Copper

Here's a great opportunity for those of you thinking of joining the LAPD to come down to the Boston waterfront and meet up with our recruiting folks. They are just the folks you want to talk to. I think I might even stop by. Who knows, maybe I'll join up!

Joel98, pahapoika and 02136colonel like this.
  4. SD2CA

SD2CA MassCops Member

Sup Folks
    I received the official call for hire yesterday around 1030am. Im officially in the Oct 28th class...known to the LAPD as the 10-19 class! I cant believe I work for the LAPD. I cant get to starry eyed though, the real work begins now.

LA Copper & this thread are a great resource. Ill be back with more updates during the academy! The next 6 months of my life will consist of academy, studying, academy, studying...….and In N out ;)

Goose, Joel98, LA Copper and 2 others like this.
  5. Bananaman

Bananaman MassCops Member

Congratulations and good luck!

6. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

That's awesome ! Have been advocating any young people to seriously consider LAPD and the great resource in one of our best members LA Copper :cool:

7. msw

msw MassCops Member

Congrats! No more snow, unless you choose to visit it! It was 42 years ago this month that I loaded all my earthly possessions into my 1963 Chevy and drove to L. A. to join the other big Los Angeles agency (LASD); my class date was also October....... you'll like the much better running weather than a summer class! Never regretted leaving MA and I'm still here.

8. NG1992

NG1992 MassCops Member

Congrats!

kdk240, LA Copper and SD2CA like this.
  9. LA Copper

Congrats SD. Another masscops success story!

Anyone else willing to make a move? We're always hiring and put an academy class through almost every month. Plus you don't have to worry about that pesky old Civil Service thing!

pahapoika, Goose and Joel98 like this.
  10. SD2CA

SD2CA MassCops Member

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give a quick update.

Im currently in Week 2 of the academy. My class has 50 recruits. Our DI is amazing and our class is really starting to come together. The biggest thing here is PAY ATTENTION lol. There are little itty bitty details they tell us and we need to follow through or else it can be BAD. LAPD is such a well oiled machine, its easy to tell why this place is the best of the best.

Ive lived in California for less than a month and I love it. The weather here has consistently been in the 80s which is a big deal for me because, as i type this, its snowing back in South Dakota where Im from! lol.

I gotta go study...Ill be back sometime soon to provide another update.

As always, if you are considering coming to the LAPD, REACH OUT TO LA Copper. He is a part of my story and helped me out tremendously.

Talk to you soon folks!

pahapoika, Goose, Joel98 and 6 others like this.
  11. Drebbin

Drebbin MassCops Member

That's awesome. Good luck

SD2CA likes this.
  12. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

Thanks for popping in SD!! Study up, keep us updated!

It's so sweet when the kids write home :)

LA Copper, SD2CA and pahapoika like this.
  13. BlueknightLA

BlueknightLA MassCops Member

Congratulations SD.

When you complete your academy time you might get me as an FTO.

Sooty, SD2CA, pahapoika and 2 others like this.
  14. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Awesome news! Thanks for the update.

SD2CA likes this.
  15. LA Copper

SD, I'm glad you're making the most of your experience so far. You've got a ways to go yet so pace yourself. Keep me in mind if you need any future advice.

For other folks reading this thread who may be thinking of coming out west, the LAPD is always hiring. If you're serious about trying to get on out here, I'd be happy to help. And also, it's sunny and in the 80s! :)

(Disregard that whole fire thing we've had recently, that's not unusual. We have four seasons out here: Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fire. It's all part of the experience.)

Sooty, SD2CA, pahapoika and 2 others like this.
  16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

[​IMG]

CCCSD, Sooty, SD2CA and 1 other person like this.
  17. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

Oh GAWD!!

Winter's coming... LA will be ALL over us when it snows! :mad::D:p

LA Copper likes this.
  18. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Los Alamos Police Department? Will you be chasing those who chase atomic secrets?

I think I missed something. If it's outside of New England, I just sort of tune it out. An Old Homebody, nothing more, but I DO read things.

Congrats, kid, you've joining one hell of an agency.

Sooty likes this.
  19. LA Copper

I see we just made it to 55,000 "hits" on this thread, that's pretty cool. I'm still happy to help anyone who wants to come out west to give us a try. We're still hiring an academy class almost every month.

Over the years, I've seen on other threads regarding police jobs that people always ask about details and overtime but no one ever seems to ask about the actual police job they are applying for. While the LAPD doesn't have details, we do have plenty of actual police work., i.e. carjackings, gang shootings, vehicle pursuits, robberies, burglaries, etc. It's here where we make our extra money (crime scenes, perimeters, court), not to mention making a difference catching bad guys and helping righteous crime victims.

Call me old fashioned but I came on the job to be a cop, which means catching bad guys and making a difference, knowing full well I probably wouldn't get rich doing it. However, we do OK financially so I can't really complain. Just a 30+ year officer's opinion for what it's worth.

mpd61, Red, Sooty and 5 others like this.
  20. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Well said my friend.

21. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

The LAPD is an amazing opportunity to be a cop and to get some really good experience really fast. For me personally, when I was first applying to be a cop years ago, I could’ve cared less about money and OT and details, I just wanted to be a cop and carry a gun and do police work. The LAPD and other agencies in southern CA are a great place to do this.

Drebbin and LA Copper like this.
  22. SD2CA

SD2CA MassCops Member

Hey everyone! Quick update:

After 6 tough months, yesterday I graduated from the LAPD Academy. It FLEW by. There were times I thought it would never end due to the overload of information (and getting screamed at lol). I grew so close to each of my classmates. I’m going to miss seeing them every day but we are all going to do great. We started with 51 and ended with 44.

My first day on the streets will be Monday, April 13th. I’m doing my probation at the historic Rampart Division and I am SO excited to get going.

LA COPPER and MassCops was a massive resource for me when I was looking into the process. He’s given me sound advice throughout the academy and has already played a big role in the development of my career. I’m just barely scratching the surface. I’m going to keep coming back and updating as much as possible. I’m sure I’ll have some great stories after my first week :D

If you want to apply and come here - DO IT. I moved all the way across the country on my own and it was the best decision I’ve ever made.

see y’all soon!

Hush, RodneyFarva, Joel98 and 5 others like this.
  23. Drebbin

Drebbin MassCops Member

Congratulations. Stay safe.

Hush likes this.
  24. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

That’s awesome, congratulations!

Hush likes this.
  25. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

Congrats, welcome to the best job in the world..... (Sometimes)
    Stay Safe. lol