Los Angeles Police Department | Page 13 | MassCops

Los Angeles Police Department

Discussion in 'Beyond New England' started by LA Copper, Jan 10, 2014.

1. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Wouldn't that be nice, or at least give me a job at the Recruitment Unit!

pahapoika likes this.
  2. SD2CA

SD2CA MassCops Member

It’s supposed to reach record lows this week here in SD. -40! With snow! I’d rather be in CA jogging outside.

Pray for us lol

Kilvinsky, pahapoika and LA Copper like this.
  3. LA Copper

I don't blame you for wanting to come out west, it's certainly better weather here than there. The beach would be a great place to go jogging, including this time of year.

4. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I wonder how a surfer dude would handle -40. o_O

Hell, he'd probably drop into the fetal state at 32. I know it's gotten pretty cold there on occasion, but it's rare. I think the only LAPD TV Cops I've ever seen in winter coats was Reid and Malloy.

Those great old nylon coats with the faux fur collars. Not perfect, but I miss them. Those collars were a God send.

pahapoika likes this.
  5. LA Copper

Kilv,
    That's wishful thinking. Most of the surfer dudes out here, especially the ones raised out here are freezing at 50 degrees, let alone 32!

I was outside tonight at 2100 with short sleeves and was pretty comfortable, although it's supposed to go down to 55 with rain the next few days. Yikes!

Goose likes this.
  6. SD2CA

SD2CA MassCops Member

There hasn't been a post in this thread for awhile so I figured I would update my personal progress and maybe give people an inspiration boost. Since I live in the Midwest, I qualified for the expedited process. As far as the testing, interviews, etc. my timeline was as follows:

03/26/19 - PQE & PFQ [PASSED]
    03/27/19 - Initial Background Review [PASSED]
    03/28/19 -Department Interview & Polygraph [PASSED]
    03/29/19 - Written Psych, Medical, & PAT2 [PASSED]
    04/16/19 - Assigned Background Detective

Im currently in backgrounds. My BI told me everything is going great and he will be submitting my file for review in roughly 2 weeks. If I pass that -> I will take the oral psych. If I pass that -> Ill get hired.

I stayed in Hacienda Heights at a hotel and took the train from El Monte to downtown LA every morning. The train was extremely efficient and on schedule literally to the second every day. It was a 15 minute quiet train ride. I recommend doing that if you want to save the most money AND avoid traffic. Youll have to walk a couple blocks but its nothing bad at all. Get a breakfast burrito inside of the train station too, btw. Best I have ever had lol.

if anyone has any questions regarding the testing, interviews or process I will be happy to help and provide insight. Im hoping to be moving to California and in the academy by the time Winter 2019 hits. Couple more months left to go until Im hired though.

Ask away If there are any questions!

Kilvinsky, Goose, Joel98 and 3 others like this.
  7. aricmichael

aricmichael MassCops Member

What is the PT test like? Requirements?

Joel98 likes this.
  8. SD2CA

SD2CA MassCops Member

For the first test, on Tuesday, you go out to the Academy at Elysian Park. There are usually a bunch of LAPD officers out there that help run the PT test. The tests are(in order):

Sit ups in 1 minute
    300m Sprint
    Pushups in 1 minute
    1.5 mile run

You get about 1 minute between each exercise. Most of that time is spent relaying your results to the “statistician.” If you are male 20-30, they say to get a good grade you’ll need at least 40 pushups and sit-ups in one minute. You’ll need to run the mile under 11 minutes and the 300m sprint in 48 seconds or less. All of which is easily attainable tbh.

The second physical fitness test (PAT2) is a treadmill test. For expedited candidates, you’ll do the written psych test, medical test, and PAT2 at the same time. So while you’re taking the 600+ question psych test, they’ll randomly pull you out to medically evaluate you. Then you go back and continue the test. Then they randomly pull you out for the PAT2. The PAT2 is NO JOKE. It sounds easy but to me it was harder than the actual 1.5 lol. It’s 12 minutes long, as follows:

3 min walk on flat surface
    3 min faster walk on slight incline
    3 min jog on steeper incline
    3 min fast run on even steeper incline

They say it simulates running the 1.5 mile in 12 minutes but...yea it was tough.

Overall, the PT test wasn’t too bad. The track at the academy isn’t the best so your calves/feet will kill. Otherwise it was great.

CCCSD, Joel98 and aricmichael like this.
  9. LA Copper

Are you interested? We have an academy class pretty much every month.

Joel98 and pahapoika like this.
  10. aricmichael

aricmichael MassCops Member

I am, I intend on throwing my name in the hat soon but I want to work on some of the PT requirements before I do so.

Joel98 and pahapoika like this.
  11. LA Copper

If you have questions, feel free to send me a PM or two and I'll help you out.

38bigblock, Joel98 and pahapoika like this.
  12. SD2CA

SD2CA MassCops Member

If I were you, I would put in for it as soon as you can. They'll let you schedule the expedited testing up to two months in advance I think. So lock a spot up for yourself and youll have two whole months to go hard at the fitness preparation.

Ive been steadily PMing back and forth with LA Copper the past couple months and keeping him updated. He is a good resource for info regarding the job/area/etc. If you have any specific questions, ask them in here and we can help you. If its anything that you want to keep confidential - you can PM either of us and we can help out. Again, im still in backgrounds but I can give you a general idea about the entire process other than the oral psych since I haven't taken that yet.

If you feel you have a certain weakness (oral interviews, Essay Test, etc) let me know and I can give you some tips that'll help you specifically with LAPD.

13. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I got hired in 1998 but wifey didn’t want to move last minute. Was going to buy a home in Simi Valley was only like $240k new now they’re $1 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joel98, pahapoika and mpd61 like this.
  14. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Thank the Gods you didn't take it Yimmy! I would've never met you;)

j809 likes this.
  15. LA Copper

That's a bummer, we could have been partners, like Reed and Malloy! Simi Valley is like "Cop town" nowadays. I know a lot of officers who live out there. Too bad the wife changed your future! I can relate!

Joel98 and j809 like this.
  16. LA Copper

We're still putting a class of about 55 recruits through the academy every month for those of you thinking of coming out.

pahapoika and Joel98 like this.
  17. Kilvinsky

When I recently applied, they looked at my age and physique, crumpled up my application and threw it at me. The last words I heard were, "Are you FUCKING KIDDING US? GET OUTTA HERE, ASSHOLE!"

I got on the first plane back to Boston. Sadly, it was the wrong flight and I ended up in Toronto where they placed me in custody because I never have gotten a passport and despite my Canadian ancestry, they beat me daily until the next flight to...

TAMPA! WTF?!?!?!

Goose, 02136colonel and pahapoika like this.
  18. Kilvinsky

Thank God for Amtrak.

Who also refused to hire me, regardless of my family's history with the railroad*. Damn.

*Dad for a number of years, grandfather for his career, his step-father, my uncle for his career...etc. No fare. Pun intended.

pahapoika likes this.
  19. SD2CA

SD2CA MassCops Member

Well..

Flew to LA on Wednesday and had my Psych Interview on Friday. Went in around 1030 and didnt get out until 12:30pm. Very long and greuling lol. When it was done i thought i failed for sure.

I met up with LA Copper and we got lunch at the historic academy at Elysian Park. While eating I got the golden email that I PASSED my Psych Interview. LA Copper can tell ya how relieved I was lol. After eating, I was able to see just about everything and get a TON of information from him as well. He believes strongly in this department and I see why. LAPD is truly the best of the best. We didn't get a ton of time together because 1) my interview was 2 hours long and 2) the Personnel Building called me and told me I needed to come back to get finger printed again.

I had a ride along on Friday night with Newton Division. It was a blast. They had 4 officers fresh out of the academy so I was able to pick their brains and get as much info as I could.

Overall the entire process was seamless. I was lucky and had zero hiccups or bumps along the road. Its been 4 months and I finished the entire process. Now Im just waiting on an Academy date (Im thinking/hoping it will be September).

Again - If anyone has any questions, post them in here. If its something more personal that you need input on, PM LA Copper and/or myself. He is a great resource! And I can give you perspective from a brand new candidate.

I started this account with low expectations, now "SD 2 CA" may be a reality. I cant wait!!!!!

Sooty, 38bigblock, pahapoika and 5 others like this.
  20. Drebbin

Drebbin MassCops Member

Congratulations. Keep in touch with LA Copper. He's a good resource and a kind of decent person. Enjoy the ride and stay safe.

pahapoika, LA Copper and Kilvinsky like this.
  21. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Congratulations! It sounds like you’re well on your way.

pahapoika likes this.
  22. Kilvinsky

I actually went there and went through the process many years ago. I didn't get an e-mail, they didn't do that then, but I got a phone call saying, "Ah, hey, have you looked into (My current job), they're hiring. Ah, you're great, but, well, we don't think you're exactly what we're looking for. Really, try (my current job).

I haven't looked back since, though I drink heavily now.

BEST OF SUCCESS SD2CA!!!!!

Goose and pahapoika like this.
  23. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Many years ago I was on a listserv with an LA Sergeant and when She Who Must Be Obeyed and I were out there for a family wedding we met up at the LAPD Academy. The tour Andre' gave us was quite something, and I agree about that department. We even had lunch at the academy.

Later I did a ride-along with him (18-L-20) in his division and a bit over into 77th Street. For different opportunities, specialization, training etc. LAPD is hard to beat.

Best of luck!

24. SD2CA

SD2CA MassCops Member

Thanks everyone!

Im very excited. Im still keeping my "guard" up because - just because you pass everything doesn't mean youll get hired. This all seems surreal still so Im just waiting for that golden call! If they put me in the September academy, I wont be receiving a call until mid to late August. In the meantime, Im trying to run as much as possible and staying determined in the gym.

Ill keep everyone in here updated.

Mr Scribbles and Kilvinsky like this.
  25. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Congratulations SD2CA !

LA Copper is a invaluable resource. To do it all over again would have loved working out there. ( if they would have taken me )

LAPD has tough standards and to make it this far speaks of your integrity and background.

Good luck !

LA Copper likes this.