Los Angeles Police Department | Page 12 | MassCops

Los Angeles Police Department

Discussion in 'Beyond New England' started by LA Copper, Jan 10, 2014.

1. 38bigblock

38bigblock MassCops Member

Congratulations! I wish the best of luck, that's an awesome success story. I'm looking forward to hearing what his experience was / is. I was in that boat 2 years ago, and let me tell you. @LA Copper Was a very big help. Had I not been fortunate enough to get hired locally, that's exactly where I would be.

Very proud of the newest LAPD member.

LA Copper likes this.
  2. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Congratulations!

3. AC92

AC92 MassCops Member

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to update, 6 months later I have graduated the LAPD academy and I already had a few nights out on the street. Even tho I only been working a few nights I love it and I can't wait to go back to work. I feel very fortunate to be in the position I am. Academy was hard work but it was all worth it.

LA Copper is a huge support and was there for me every step of the way if I needed anything. Even though I'm done with academy, this is just the beginning. If anyone is interested, I encourage you to follow through with this and apply. LAPD is still actively hiring.

As always, if anyone has any questions or needs guidance, feel free to send me a pm. I'll gladly help out anyway I can. Some people out here already have hit me up and are in the process. Stay safe everyone and never give up on your dreams, you never know until you try.

4. msw

msw MassCops Member

What Division do you work at? I remember the days (well, more typically: nights) back in the early 1980's when I was working the streets of South Central L.A. - albeit with the other big L.A. agency - and it was so busy, and we were having so much fun, we literally stayed out on the streets well past the end of our shift, hookin' and bookin' till it quieted down. Never even asked for overtime, we were just afraid if we went EOW, that the next day when we got back, the other guys would say something like "Hey, guess what happened right after you went home! You missed it; it was [hilarious] or [unbelievable] or [bizarre] or [whatever-fill-in-the-blank].......!!" I remember those days (nights) quite well, when we often hated for the shift to end, and couldn't wait to get back to work the next day (night).

So enjoy it, AC92, you will likely go on to have a long and varied career, but when you are retired (like me) and telling war stories with the other Gray Hairs, it is quite likely that you will remember your patrol time as the most enjoyable But be careful and watch out for your partner(s), both physically and professionally/career-wise; you get to work in a much more difficult patrol environment today than those of us who worked the streets 20-30 years ago.

5. smitty1369

smitty1369 MassCops Member

LA copper,
    As my time as an MP comes to an end next March after 5 long years, I was hoping I could get in touch with you about the application process again. I inquired about it awhile back but I was still a little too far out. I’m in the Sacramento area of CA right now on TDY and although I’m sure LA is much different, the dry heat here is wonderful! I was curious about the current state of the department (patrol vacancies, specialized unit vacancies etc.) and I have plenty of leave days to burn. Thanks!

6. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Hello Smitty.

Feel free to send me a PM when you're free and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. Also, will you be making your way down south for a visit anytime soon? (I'll be back east for a few weeks in August so I hope it's not during that time.)

Joel98 likes this.
  7. AC92

AC92 MassCops Member

Hello Everyone,
    I just wanted to update everyone that since over a month ago I have officially been off of probation and what the LAPD calls "P-2 dog!"

Probation was long-short if that makes sense, I learned a lot and did a lot. I still have soooo much to learn but what officers keep telling me is that you can never know everything on this job. Everyday, I learn so much. Honestly, I love going to work everyday and working with my partner. This is the best job on earth and the LAPD is a great department with endless amount of opportunity and perks.

LAPD is super traditional with their probationers and now I understand why. I've had tough training officers and really nice training officers as well. Everybody just wants you to be better, do better and never get complacent. As long as you are humble and you remain humble you will be fine. You might have bad days but you will have great days as well, you have to look at the bigger picture.

If you still want to join the LAPD, just do it and get the process started asap. Don't let anything hold you back, we are always hiring and in my opinion, there's not a more enjoyable career. As always, I'm always here if you guys need guidance or have any questions. Feel free to PM me.

Be safe everybody!

38bigblock, pahapoika, Hush and 7 others like this.
  8. LA Copper

AC,
    Congrats on your "P-2 dog" status, that's great news! Another small town New England guy makes good in the LAPD!
    Did you make "the wheel" yet? Did I miss it on the transfer? Keep me in mind if you need help/advice with anything in the future.

For those of you still waiting to get on the job back there with the Mass Civil Service system, our testing process is a lot more fair and a lot quicker. Plus the weather is wicked better out here. Check out the Red Sox games out here during the World Series as proof of that.

If any of you are thinking of coming out west, AC and I are here to help.

j809, AC92, 38bigblock and 5 others like this.
  9. Drebbin

Drebbin MassCops Member

Congratulations .Be safe

10. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Congratulations brother, great post.

11. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Congratulations and stay safe out there!!! LAPD is a great agency with a long history of excellence!

AC92, LA Copper, pahapoika and 2 others like this.
  12. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Congratulations for having the courage to make the jump. Had the pleasure of getting the tour from LA copper and can't stress enough for anyone not having luck here in Mass to definitely head West ;)

Great department, great tradition, great opportunity !

AC92, LA Copper and Joel98 like this.
  13. 38bigblock

38bigblock MassCops Member

Congrats man, you earned it, 100%, kick ass and stay safe bro.

AC92 and LA Copper like this.
  14. AC92

AC92 MassCops Member

Thank you everyone!
    LA Copper, I have not made the wheel yet. There is still people ahead of me that haven't gotten wheeled out. So I am not sure when I will.

15. LA Copper

Understood. I'll be keeping an eye out to see where you head to next.

16. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Congratulations AC92. You're going to have one hell of a career. But try being a CAMPUS COP back here in Mass., THEN you'll know what Police Work is all about.

God, Please let me stay sane long enough to retire!:rolleyes:

LA Copper, pahapoika and Goose like this.
  17. NG1992

NG1992 MassCops Member

Hi everyone,
    Long time lurker here on this website and thread. Like other places on this page, there is a great wealth of information on the LAPD process, and more. Big thanks to LA Copper and the other users for contributing to this. One of my friends works out there and has encouraged me to make the jump when I am done with school. Certainly something I am considering. Thank you again for the excellent information shared here. Cheers.

pahapoika and LA Copper like this.
  18. msw

msw MassCops Member

I was a Campus Cop in MA (Wellesley College PD) in 1976, before moving to LA and joining LASD in 1977. I must say, I did a wee bit more police work during my time with LASD, than I did at WCPD....... especially working patrol in fun South LA places Lennox and Firestone, and Narcotics in West Hollywood...... all very entertaining! (LACopper knows of what I speak!) As much as I am reluctant to recommend a LE career to anyone these days - given our current widespread anti-cop climate and politicians in a lot of places - I will say that for those of you that still desire such a career, and are having a hard time getting on the Massachusetts PD of your choice, action and adventure await in Southern California. And you would never have to shovel snow again (unless you chose to visit it in our mountains in the winter!).

Goose, pahapoika, LA Copper and 3 others like this.
  19. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

This is a great post, and is 100% accurate. Instead of waiting around for years on a Civil Service List, you can go out to southern CA and take the test whenever you want. And you will get more experience out there then you ever will in MA, unless you’re working Boston PD or something.

The officer safety and patrol tactics in CA are second to none, and you will come out of there an excellent cop.

Honestly I don’t understand why more people complaining about getting hired in MA don’t look into this option.

Goose, pahapoika, LA Copper and 2 others like this.
  20. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

For many, it's the ideal option. Many have gone to NYC, plenty to Florida and I know Texas is popular these days. God Bless each and everyone who moves on.
    I only wanted ONE job. It didn't pan out, but I'm seriously NOT complaining because, as miserable as my situation is currently, I'm doing what I wanted to do my whole life. I just never wanted to leave home. I love this area and never want to leave. It's home. Home took a huge precedent over the job. I was prepared for some other career, but again, though I'm not where I dreamed of being, I'm still doing what I dreamed of doing. Now, I just can't wait to retire and not do it anymore. Frikken' tired, man, frikken' tired and sick of the whole damn game.

But that's just ME! :D

NG1992, Goose, Edmizer1 and 2 others like this.
  21. SD2CA

SD2CA MassCops Member

Been lurking this entire thread and I’m so stoked. I fly to Los Angeles the last week of March to go through the expedited process. I have a 2 year degree and 3 years of corrections experience.

It’s been in the negatives where I live now. Can’t wait to make my dream come true and move to LA to be a part of the best department in the world.

Is this still active? LA COPPER where ya at!? Lol

Joel98 likes this.
  22. LA Copper

Hello SD, I'm still here. Does SD stand for South Dakota? I know it's not San Diego with the temps in the negative numbers! I don't know what the temps are gonna be like at the end of March out here but it's gonna be in the 70s this coming week.

Congrats on doing the expedited process, that's the fastest way to do it. I hope you've done your research about us because you will be asked during the "Department interview." Have you been out here before? Do you have any questions?

23. SD2CA

SD2CA MassCops Member

Yup it’s South Dakota. Currently snowing and the “feels like” temperature is -7.

I have made my own “book report” type packet on the department and will be studying quite a bit. So I will be well prepared!

I was born in / lived in San Bernardino until I was 11 then I moved out here. I was in LA last January to visit though.

My question as of now: How reliable is the metro link? I will get hotel for free but it’s in Hacienda Heights. Since traffic is a monster, I was considering a station link from there to .2 miles from the testing centers. Commute time of about 30ish minutes.

And getting way ahead of myself but...what areas should I check for affordable apartments? I’m trying to have every duck in a row.

Thanks in advance

Joel98 likes this.
  24. LA Copper

The closest train station to the Personnel Building is Union Station, which is about a 10 minute walk. I've never taken one but from what I've heard, MetroLink is reliable.

I always recommend the City of Burbank to start looking for multiple reasons. Feel free to take this to a PM if you'd like and we can discuss more in-depth.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    pahapoika, Joel98 and Sooty like this.
  25. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

LA they really should give you a recruitment bonus! :)