Los Angeles Police Department | Page 11 | MassCops

Los Angeles Police Department

Discussion in 'Beyond New England' started by LA Copper, Jan 10, 2014.

1. AC92

AC92 MassCops Member

Hey Everyone,
    It's been a while since I posted last, I just wanted to update here and say I got hired with LAPD for class 3-17. I encourage anyone that's still interested to go out west and take the test. I'm from Connecticut so I know how tough it is to get hired in the northeast after trying and trying. As always, don't hesitate to pm me if you have any questions. I'd like to thank LACopper, if it wasn't for me reading his posts, I probably would of never learned about the expedited testing! Stay safe everyone.

2. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

Awesome. Good for you. Best of luck and stay safe!

3. wwonka

wwonka MassCops Member

Congratulations and good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. AC92

AC92 MassCops Member

Thank you I appreciate it guys!

5. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Another Mass Cop success story !
    love it :)

6. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Congrats AC and welcome to LA!

pahapoika and TripleSeven like this.
  7. LA Copper

I'll be back in Mass for a few weeks in June if anyone is still interested in the LAPD and would like to talk about it.
    Just a little incentive.... while you guys are shoveling snow today in cold weather gear, I'll be mowing my lawn in shorts and a t-shirt.

Goose, kwflatbed and pahapoika like this.
  8. LA26

LA26 MassCops Member

Greeting LA Copper, I have a couple basic questions for you. So I am currently in the final stages of the hiring process with the LAPD. I passed my PQE (96%), Poly, PATs, Medical, Department Interview & have completed my Psych test. I am currently on the Background part. I have spoken to my BI may 2 times on the phone. The first time he called he just asked for more references so i provided them to him. From what I have been told he has contacted all of them and they all replied swiftly. He has also contacted my neighbors and from what I believe he was told good things. However he has not scheduled to meet with me, or to collect any of my needed documents. It has been about 2 months since he has started and about 1 month since he has talked to me. I also had to update one of my references info with him but he never replied. So should I just assume he is busy? Or something worse? I am a local LA resident & am supposedly in the Expedited process even tho it does not feel that way . Any info would help, thank you.

PBC FL Cop likes this.
  9. LA Copper

Hi there.

Sounds like you got lucky that you were able to do the expedited process since you live in LA. That is usually saved for people who live more than 150 miles from the city. People who live in and around the city usually take about a year to complete the testing process. The expedited process means you can complete all the tests in a week or so. That doesn't mean you'll be hired that fast.

We have people from all over the country trying to be hired so your are correct, the background investigators are busy, which means it might take a little while to complete your background. Do you think you have anything bad in your background that would delay the process?

Be patient, attend CAPS as many times as possible, learn about the department and hopefully it will all work out.

10. LA26

LA26 MassCops Member

Thank you for the response. In regards to my background, I am just worried that he may have set me aside for some reason. I have read before that some people wont ever receive a DQ letter they are just stuck not knowing anything at all. Nothing new should pop up in my background. Everything has already been disclosed to him.

11. LA Copper

Hi again.

Anything's possible but I find it hard to believe someone's package was just "set aside" and forgotten about.
    Like I mentioned, they are pretty busy so I'm guessing they'll get to you when your turn is up.

Have you contacted your mentor? Maybe he/she can find out for you.

12. LA26

LA26 MassCops Member

I have not contacted my mentor only because I do not want him to bug my BI. My father is a retired police officer/BI and he told me it is best to leave them alone. However, even he is a little curious why so much has been done with my BI but that I have not met with him yet. He also understands he is probably really busy and every BI does things differently. He has helped me a lot through this process and has pretty much told me everything you have plus more. I am clearly just impatient and like to hear second opinions. I also am curious if my BI can see if I am going to CAPS or not? My current work schedule has been hectic and I have not been able to go as much as id like. If I were to contact my mentor, what do I say? I do not want to come off as the guy who is calling and asking "what the hell is going on" or asking "is he done yet". All in all I am very thankful for your help.
    Thanks for the insight and understanding I am impatient.

13. LA Copper

Hello.
    Was you dad a background investigator with our department? If so, he can most likely attest to how busy they are. We are trying to put an academy class of about 60 recruits through the academy every month. That means they are going through about five times that many people to get to the folks they want to hire. Like you mentioned, be patient.

As for CAPS, it was most important to have gone, prior to your department interview so you could talk about it. Also, the background folks are doing their work on the folks who scored the highest, first. Maybe you scored well but not the highest. Who knows..

Attend CAPS when possible, learn as much about the department as you can, be patient and hope for the best!

14. LA26

LA26 MassCops Member

No my father was a background investigator in Orange County. And when you say scored the highest what exactly do you mean? Because I scored a 95% on my PQE.

15. LA Copper

The Department Interview is scored 1-5. 1 and 2 do not pass. 3, 4, 5 are passing.
    They hire the 5s first, then the 4s and the 3s.

The other scores don't matter so much, as long as you pass.

16. LA26

LA26 MassCops Member

Oh I got a 5

17. LA26

LA26 MassCops Member

I found out from someone I know. And that's also when they started my expedited process. So I guess just wish me luck from here. Thanks

18. LA Copper

Alrighty then. Even though we have 10,000 sworn, it's still a "small" department. Maybe we'll run into each other or work together after you graduate the academy. Good luck.

19. LA26

LA26 MassCops Member

Thanks! and I can only hope it all works out for me. I just found out my BG was sent to my case manager. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

20. AC92

AC92 MassCops Member

All BG files get sent to case managers, they are the ones who officially decide whether your file goes to the next step or not.

21. LA Copper

That sounds about right.

How's the academy coming along AC?

22. AC92

AC92 MassCops Member

It's going good sir, just staying locked on and focused. It is going by super fast though, late nights and early mornings. Good news is we are not the junior class anymore! Haha there's 2 classes under us now.

Goose and LA Copper like this.
  23. LA Copper

I remember that... the good old days! Hang in there AC!

24. LA Copper

We recently had a masscops member graduate from the LAPD Academy. I attended his graduation this past Friday and he had his first night on the street last night. Hopefully he'll be on here soon to write about his experience. He read this thread last year and followed through with it.

He'll be another resource for any of you thinking about making the move out west to join the 3rd largest police department in the country.

j809, Edmizer1, Bloodhound and 4 others like this.
  25. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Wow, that's very cool to hear. Thanks for letting us know.

LA Copper likes this.