Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

IBS/KNBC-TV

Chief Bratton said the Rampart Division station signals a new period of openness and diversity for the LAPD.

LOS ANGELES --

Chief William Bratton declared Thursday that the Los Angeles Police Department is entering a new period of openness and diversity as he presided over the opening of a new station for Rampart Division, best known for a 1990s corruption scandal. Video
The $37 million, 54,000-square-foot station located at 1401 W. Sixth St. opens at a time when the LAPD is experiencing the quietest summer crime-wise since 1967. The LAPD is also increasing its ranks, with 9,753 sworn officers in uniform and plans to have more than 10,000 on the streets by next summer.
It is a stark contrast to the LAPD's image of a decade ago. In 1999, LAPD Officer Rafael Perez told authorities that he and other rogue Rampart CRASH officers routinely engaged in misconduct that included planting evidence, lying in court and physically abusing suspects.
During that time, Rampart came to symbolize racism, corruption and brutality, Bratton said.
"That was not the Los Angeles Police Department. It is certainly not the Los Angeles Police Department today," Bratton said as he declared 2009 "the year of the LAPD."
"We will be like the sun rising this morning when this department emerges from the dark days of the 1990s into the bright light of the 21st century."
The new facility, will serve 375,000 people in an eight-square-mile area.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said the new station, which is about a half-mile from MacArthur Park, also represents a new era for the Westlake neighborhood.
"We celebrate a great community that has reclaimed its neighborhoods and its streets," he said. "Together, we have to continue to work on growing our police department and fighting crime, fighting the root causes of crime, because if you're not dealing with poverty and jobs and education, you really don't understand what we need to do."
In the next year, the LAPD will open two more division stations and its downtown headquarters to replace the aging Parker Center.
The LAPD's new home on First Street, between Main and Spring streets, will be "the most expensive police facility ever built in the United States -- a green facility -- a facility that will also be symbolic of our openness," Bratton said.

Story From: knbc.com

·
Subscribing Member
3,480 Posts

IBS/KNBC-TV

Chief Bratton said the Rampart Division station signals a new period of openness and diversity for the LAPD.

LOS ANGELES --

Chief William Bratton declared Thursday that the Los Angeles Police Department is entering a new period of openness and diversity as he presided over the opening of a new station for Rampart Division, best known for a 1990s corruption scandal. Video
The $37 million, 54,000-square-foot station located at 1401 W. Sixth St. opens at a time when the LAPD is experiencing the quietest summer crime-wise since 1967. The LAPD is also increasing its ranks, with 9,753 sworn officers in uniform and plans to have more than 10,000 on the streets by next summer.
It is a stark contrast to the LAPD's image of a decade ago. In 1999, LAPD Officer Rafael Perez told authorities that he and other rogue Rampart CRASH officers routinely engaged in misconduct that included planting evidence, lying in court and physically abusing suspects.
During that time, Rampart came to symbolize racism, corruption and brutality, Bratton said.
"That was not the Los Angeles Police Department. It is certainly not the Los Angeles Police Department today," Bratton said as he declared 2009 "the year of the LAPD."
"We will be like the sun rising this morning when this department emerges from the dark days of the 1990s into the bright light of the 21st century."
The new facility, will serve 375,000 people in an eight-square-mile area.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said the new station, which is about a half-mile from MacArthur Park, also represents a new era for the Westlake neighborhood.
"We celebrate a great community that has reclaimed its neighborhoods and its streets," he said. "Together, we have to continue to work on growing our police department and fighting crime, fighting the root causes of crime, because if you're not dealing with poverty and jobs and education, you really don't understand what we need to do."
In the next year, the LAPD will open two more division stations and its downtown headquarters to replace the aging Parker Center.
The LAPD's new home on First Street, between Main and Spring streets, will be "the most expensive police facility ever built in the United States -- a green facility -- a facility that will also be symbolic of our openness," Bratton said.

Story From: knbc.com
This is where I currently work. The old station was opened in 1966 and although it did have a lot of history, especially the Adam12 TV show as Delta mentioned, it was time for a new station. The new one isn't too bad, I guess. The biggest problem is that it's right in the middle of two gang areas so it's not the safest thing to be driving home at 0300 hours in your personal car. I've always got my gun on my lap waiting for something to happen. It's only a matter of time before someone gets "jacked" on their way home.

Also as Delta mentioned, Chief Bratton will never run out of things to say. The man is a world traveler and has spoked to a zillion people. If anyone can come up with someone new to say, it's him.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
I've always got my gun on my lap waiting for something to happen. It's only a matter of time before someone gets "jacked" on their way home.
Good Christ LACOPPER; what a way to live...
The difference in day to day life in the East and (some parts of) the West coast is astounding.

·
Subscribing Member
3,480 Posts
Good Christ LACOPPER; what a way to live...
The difference in day to day life in the East and (some parts of) the West coast is astounding.
Hi Kozmo,

At least in this case it's only where I work, not where I live. Where I live is a heckuva lot nicer than that.

They almost couldn't have picked a worse section of the division to put the new station but the City already owned the land so there they built it.

The new station has only been open a month so we'll see how long it takes for something to happen.

Any of you who want to come out for a tour, feel free to let me know. If you're already on the job, bring your weapon with you!

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
LOL 7, the KTLA News at 11 teaser would read;

"The Raiders drop another one in a 28-3 heart-breaker, and in police news, a visiting motorist was found shot to death in his 2005 Hyundai Elantra.
A 2.5" blade was found in victims rectum... This is the KTLA news at 11"

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
:L: Lol Koz!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts