Looking to become an officer. Not sure where to start | MassCops

Looking to become an officer. Not sure where to start

Discussion in 'New Hampshire' started by NikoK, Dec 21, 2020.

1. NikoK

NikoK New Member

I’m a college age guy looking to join law enforcement and become a police officer. I have a pretty basic comprehension of the requirements due to google and some friends. Any information helps and is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Nick

2. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

3. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

I honestly don’t think that joining the military is as game changing as it has been the last 10-12 years. The candidate pool has diminished and a lot of people straight up don’t want this job anymore and are going the fire route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joel98, j809, EUPD377 and 1 other person like this.
  4. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

I totally agree, but without Vet status you are much more dependent on your civil service score.
    I came up two points too low for the Boston class that started earlier this month. My buddy who’s a Vet got cards for every class starting with the first one while I’m stuck hoping they do another class off of this list.
    I have the utmost respect for people who’ve served, they 100% earned their preference, but it’s nice to not be completely dependent on a stupid multiple choice test given every two years

Goose and USAF286 like this.
  5. NikoK

NikoK New Member

Ok so where do I start?

6. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Don’t do it

mpd61, Treehouse413 and Bloodhound like this.
  7. NikoK

NikoK New Member

Don’t do what

8. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

This is the hardest job to get but the easiest to loose. So get used to it.
    Get used to: Getting in the shit for doing their job.
    Get used to: Being held to a different standard then anyone else.
    Get used to: A profession with one of the highest suicide, alcoholism, and divorce rate.
    Get used to: To sleepless nights a poor diet and an undying feeling of paranoia from everyone you interact with even other officers.
    Get used to: To seeing guys bust their ass and get nowhere while other guys get promoted up the ranks and will become your boss all because they either test well or know someone.
    Get used to: Writing and pouring hours and hours of time into a investigation just to see it thrown out in court.

I'll let the other Masscops folks take it from here.

Joel98, mpd61, Treehouse413 and 6 others like this.
  9. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Take up a trade . Plumber, electrician, Hvac, carpenter. You’ll thank us later

Goose, CCCSD and USAF3424 like this.
  10. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

Build your resume. Get your EMT cert, work in a related field, take every test that you can and apply everywhere. Don’t rule out of going out of state too, work for a few years and come back here (maybe) and finish your career. Although this job is in a shitty place right now, if it’s your passion and what you REALLY want to pursue it then do it, plus there is plenty of money to be made whether you want to or not.

Also, don’t do stupid shit and get locked up.

Joel98, mpd61, RodneyFarva and 2 others like this.
  11. EUPD377

EUPD377 Southern Campus Cop

Do some soul searching and make sure that this is the job you want to go into. Frankly, I don’t want to work with an officer who is not 100% sure that this is what they want to do. When I worked in the city, I went to the academy with a guy who was straight-up with us that he wasn’t really sure this is what he wanted to do. I was on a scene with him after we graduated and were in field training and someone started shooting at us. He was in the best position to take a shot, and he froze up and didn’t do anything. Luckily, we were able to neutralize the threat without him. He turned in all his gear afterward and walked off the job. You don’t want to be that guy. He’s lucky he’s not dead, and we’re lucky we’re not dead because of him.

If you do decide this is really what you want to do and want to stay in New England, I recommend you look into taking the Great Bay test in Portsmouth. It puts you into the running for a couple dozen NH and Maine agencies: https://www.greatbay.edu/business-community/business-training-center/police-testing-alliance/

It’s currently postponed due to COVID, but I’d keep an eye on it.

If you’re not married to New England, I’d recommend looking south and west as others have said. I work in NC, and although we don’t make anywhere near the money that agencies back up north make, the cost of living is low and you can live good for what we’re paid. Generally, we have pretty decent backing and none of us are getting defunded out thrown to civilian oversight boards yet. If you have a good clean background, lots of agencies will be willing to hire you and send you to an academy, and pay you while you’re there.

12. KPD54

KPD54 MassCops Member

Well, since everyone has tossed in the make sure this is what you want stuff, i'll just talk logistics. If you're 100% on this being your career of choice, you have several options in NE, and beyond. First, Everywhere in NE is hiring, but MA will be the hardest. You can try and find non civil service depts, but they are harder to come by. Then, in the wider NE area: Pretty much any agency in VT, including VSP, will do anything in their power to get new officer/deputies/Troopers(provided you meet the minimums and are clean). There, VSP and southern agencies are your best bet in terms of pay. Next, New Hampshire: The NHSP is of course hiring, but they have hiring windows and tests much the same to Mass. Local agencies in NH are also looking, so take a swing there if you like. Again, farther south, higher the pay. Maine: MSP is desperate for troopers. They are so short that they need to use the on call system in southerly counties so they can cover the north effectively. Their recruitment info is easy to find too, much like VSP. Many of the southern towns are also hiring, but the pay will not be as good as MA or southern NH. As someone who has worked in maine, I would advise strongly against taking a job any farther north than cumberland county(unless its with SP). The pay will be trash, the conditions are rough, and there is almost never any backup around.

As far as getting into it goes, just shoot out emails. Be inquisitive. If you see an agency that you'd like to work for, but can't find hiring info, just ask. Honestly as things stand, getting into law enforcement right now is good only in the sense that you have the pick of whatever agency you'd like(with some exceptions such as Mass State or BPD) That being said, you should think hard about if this is what you want, because it is hard.

Post - I work in Maine, and thus am partial to up there. The people still actually appreciate LEOs like they used to(Which wasn't much, but I digress) Best of luck getting into the job, and feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Joel98, Goose, RodneyFarva and 3 others like this.
  13. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

THIS.^

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    RodneyFarva likes this.
  14. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

If you want a guaranteed job go to Fitchburg state 4 and 1 program. You will graduate with a masters degree and a full time academy certificate. Everyone gets jobs and more and more departments are going there to recruit them.

Joel98, PBC FL Cop and RodneyFarva like this.
  15. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

Maybe not as much in the past, but the number of vets on the last CS test was significant enough that none of us who lacked preferences (vet or resident) had a shot anywhere. While the odds are better than they were back in the days of Iraq and Afghanistan, lacking preference still is a significant disadvantage.

16. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

You'll also have to get use to years of shift work, nights, weekends, and holidays. You'll work snow storms, heat waves, and every weather condition in between. Get use to not seeing friends, family, birthdays, BBQs, because you have to work. Get use to forced overtime cause someone called out sick last minute or the bosses forget to fill an open shift. Get use to having days off denied because the department is short staffed. Get use to dirty old cruisers that don't have proper heat or air conditioning or the last guy couldn't bother to remove their car trash or put gas in the tank. Get use to getting every undesirable assignment because your junior and your veteran coworkers will play the seniority card. Get use to bosses telling you "If you don't like it you can leave" when you bring up trying to improve something. Get use to writing reports for nonsensical things that don't need a report. Get use to getting your balls busted by supervisors over nonsensical rules like wearing hats or coming back in the station 4 minutes too soon before shift change. I could go on but hopefully you get the idea.

CCCSD, Joel98, mpd61 and 4 others like this.
  17. KPD54

KPD54 MassCops Member

This is mostly universal. I emphasize mostly. As a rookie, you will get the shitty shifts, the bad weather, missed social events, etc... people will bust your balls, and you will have to write bullshit reports. Some departments are more “friendly” than others. you’ll have nice supervisors, FTOs and coworkers who want to help. It’s all about picking a good place to work. Take for example the town of wells in maine. They have expensive gear and everything else, but they have massive turnover problems because people hate it there, whereas the other towns in that area have no such issue. If you’re considering a job, ask other officers from that town and surrounding about the environment. Ex: will the admin piss on your grave if you make a mistake, or will they try and help? These things are important if you don’t want to burn out quickly. Overall it’s a tough start, but it can be easier if you do your research.

CCCSD, Joel98, NG1992 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY.

Treehouse413 and PG1911 like this.
  19. msw

msw MassCops Member

Anyone who applies to a cop job in a Blue state in today’s political environment should probably flunk the psych test.... cuz you are nuts. Every time a cop puts a uniform on and hits the street in a Blue State, he has a target on his back, and not just from the public; his job and his freedom are also in jeopardy from the spineless politicians with their willingness to appease the Far Left anti-cop groups. One mistake, and they will throw you under the bus; you will be sacrificed at the alter of Political Correctness and likely prosecuted by the Soros-backed new breed of anti-cop D.A.’s who won’t prosecute rioters and looters, but will be happy to prosecute you for just about anything. Yeah, there are smaller communities in MA, CT, NY, NJ, MD, CA, etc - any Blue States - where cops are appreciated and supported, but, if it’s a solidly Blue State, your livelihood and your freedom are still at risk, just for doing your job. I really enjoyed my 4 decades as a cop - most of it in the now Crazy-Blue State of California - but my advice to anyone who wants to go into police work these days is to find a medium sized community in a solidly Red State where both the local and state governments still appreciate their cops. Because it’s only going to get worse in MA.... and NY.... and CA.... etc. Get out now while you’re young.

GARDA, Bloodhound, Goose and 2 others like this.
  20. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

AMEN