Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Smurf theft victim
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of extra ammo... Now, I can take the nutjob "prepper" approach and hoard it for upcoming anarchy, or I can go tonight and shoot 1/3 of it off to train. FYI... Haven't shot my .40 off duty in 2 or 3 years. We just switched to .45 and I'm not comfortable with draw.

So, hoard or train?

·
Super Moderator
7,189 Posts
I have a bunch of extra ammo... Now, I can take the nutjob "prepper" approach and hoard it for upcoming anarchy, or I can go tonight and shoot 1/3 of it off to train. FYI... Haven't shot my .40 off duty in 2 or 3 years. We just switched to .45 and I'm not comfortable with draw.

So, hoard or train?
Train. You can still hoard the remaining 2/3rds.

G

·
I very, very rarely shoot outside of yearly (if that) qualification, but always shoot 98-100, so if you're a natural good shot, then hoard. The government is, IMO, trying to severely restrict ammunition supplies, so what you have might be all you'll get for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
1/3 of "a ton" might approach the point of diminishing returns in one outing. I've been doing 5 and 1 drills to stretch out ammo, 5 dry fire 1 live.

·
Smurf theft victim
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so when I say a "ton" take that realtively speaking from someone who never owned a firearm prior to 2005.

I'm talking 300 .40 off duty

And maybe some off duty .45, but if that were true, not many

·
Lemme take a selfie
5,842 Posts

So, hoard or train?
I don't think I'd call myself a nutjob for having a lot of ammo. Prepared, and having foresight, yeah sure. If that makes me a nutjob, then I wonder what that makes DHS.

Didn't you guys switch to .45 before the 80th graduated? In late 2011?

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Do both. Take less. Do single round mag change drills, dry fire, and malfunction drills. Keep the rest. If you don't own a fo'tay anymore, trade it for flying ashtrays

·
Smurf theft victim
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I very, very rarely shoot outside of yearly (if that) qualification, but always shoot 98-100, so if you're a natural good shot, then hoard. The government is, IMO, trying to severely restrict ammunition supplies, so what you have might be all you'll get for awhile.
That's the other thing that is bothering me... Everytime I qualified with the Sig, I shot perfectly; never a miss. On this qual, I shot 27/30. Not happy.

·
Smurf theft victim
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think I'd call myself a nutjob for having a lot of ammo. Prepared, and having foresight, yeah sure. If that makes me a nutjob, then I wonder what that makes DHS.

Didn't you guys switch to .45 before the 80th graduated? In late 2011?
Just got my .45 yesterday

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
That's the other thing that is bothering me... Everytime I qualified with the Sig, I shot perfectly; never a miss. On this qual, I shot 27/30. Not happy.
Totally the guns fault. Its new. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
Don't forget, qualification isn't training and there is a lot more to gunfighting than just marksmanship....but only the brass seems to lose sight of that.
Yellow Font Line Triangle Event

Reactions: lofu

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
You shoot something on the order of 250 rounds when you transition from the the Sig to the Smith, so don't throw the gun in the trash just yet! One thing I had to get used to with the new M&P was the smaller grip which often meant I was putting too much trigger finger on the trigger and jinking rounds to the right. Once I got that ironed out, I shoot aces with the M&P. I've put something on the order of 6000 rounds through my M&P, I can say without hesitation that its the best combat pistol I've ever used, and I own two 1911's!

BTW, in response to your original question; always train, never hoard. What good is a big stash of ammo, when you get popped in your first end-of-the-world gunfight and some guy steals it all while stepping over your corpse?

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
I have to agree. I've got about 4k through mine. Only malf was failure to lock back due to bad mag springs. Accurate, nice ergos, great round. What's not to love? I still love me some Glocks though.

Reactions: Killjoy

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
Was that the mag springs covered by the recall?

·
Smurf theft victim
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You shoot something on the order of 250 rounds when you transition from the the Sig to the Smith, so don't throw the gun in the trash just yet! One thing I had to get used to with the new M&P was the smaller grip which often meant I was putting too much trigger finger on the trigger and jinking rounds to the right. Once I got that ironed out, I shoot aces with the M&P. I've put something on the order of 6000 rounds through my M&P, I can say without hesitation that its the best combat pistol I've ever used, and I own two 1911's!

BTW, in response to your original question; always train, never hoard. What good is a big stash of ammo, when you get popped in your first end-of-the-world gunfight and some guy steals it all while stepping over your corpse?
The other thing that I really wished was different... I'm still "unsnapping" as with the old holster. The range time wasn't enough to establish muscle memory for the new system. 3-5 days would have been much better.

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
Yikes! Just reinforces mags are the common cause of failures and it's always good to have a spare. ;)

Reactions: Dan Stark
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.