Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was lookin for some input on how likely it was that i could follow a career in law enforcement and some advice on how to best pursue it from where i am now. some information on myself might be necessary first though. i am currently in the navy on the George washington serving in the persian gulf. i have had some altercations in my past that i'm not sure how they will affect applying this type of job. mostly tickets and one federal offense (CWOF). you know kid stuff. i would like to get into a career where i still have a chance of making a difference and i believe this may be a good option. im only a high school grad but i intend to take some courses while i'm at sea and enjoy learning so i don't forsee a problem there. any advice, info, tips, what i can expect, or personal insights would be greatly appreciated thank you.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
newman @ Tue 13 Jul said:
Hi i was lookin for some input on how likely it was that i could follow a career in law enforcement and some advice on how to best pursue it from where i am now. some information on myself might be necessary first though. i am currently in the navy on the George washington serving in the persian gulf. i have had some altercations in my past that i'm not sure how they will affect applying this type of job. mostly tickets and one federal offense (CWOF). you know kid stuff. i would like to get into a career where i still have a chance of making a difference and i believe this may be a good option. im only a high school grad but i intend to take some courses while i'm at sea and enjoy learning so i don't forsee a problem there. any advice, info, tips, what i can expect, or personal insights would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Get the hell outa Dodge.. go West

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I agree with Union1... Basically if you don't mind waiting 5-10 years while you "build you resume" working various types of LE related jobs (i.e. dispatcher, Campus Police, Special Police, Security, etc..) then stay in Mass. If you'd like to get hired within 6 months, head west or south.

There are other related posts here (career in LE) just search this site.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Like the others said: take time to build your resume'. The Navy is a good start...but take a page from your Marine Corps brothers: attention to detail. Written communication in english is paramount. Take the time to learn spelling and grammar: it's plain from your letter that you do not place a priority on this. Not because you "don't know", but because you think its "good enough"! I tell you now, it is never "good enough"!!!!! The last thing you want to experience is being humiliated as a "dumb cop" in front of a jury (aka: box-of-rocks).

Look, I started with the Pinkerton's (so you're ahead of the curve there!), went to campus police and ultimately state police. It takes time so don't expect results overnight. Hey, some folks 'get on' the state or local department when they're 20/21...but I think it is better to make your mistakes previous to getting your "forever job".

Good luck, kid...MA is very competitive...get all the training and education you can!
Hey, EMT training is a plus!

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts
Come to the land of palm trees and sunshine......F L O R I D A !! There are more copper jobs here than qualified applicants. Plus.......NO LAYOFFS!

G

·
I hadn't been looking for a quick way in I will be at sea for the next 4 years (give or take).
I was curious what i could do for classes that would help out, or what kind of tests I should be prepared for when i get out. I also was looking for some thoughts on if you felt that being an officer was a rewarding, or maybe worthwhile is a better word for it, career.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
ADMIN MESSAGE TO newman1228

newman1228 contact me at [email protected], your account has been disabled until you confirm your email address and name.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.