Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any information on Longwood Security in Boston, I have heard that they have Armed SPO'S. I was just wondering if this is a good job and department? Thanx

·
Registered
69 Posts
They have the contract at HarborPoint. That's where the armed SPO's are assigned. This is their first armed contract. They have traditionally provided security services in the Longwood Medical Area at hospitals and colleges. Benefits and pay have typically been above the industry average.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are the requirements to become a Special Police officer. Do they send you to some training and do they have arrest power?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Enforcer,

To be a Boston SPO, you need to have at least the reserve/intermittent academy, or the Course for SPO's that is offered by a private company in Boston. You must have a Class A LTC if you are armed, and you must pass a written exam, plus a firearms qualification if armed. Boston SPO's have arrest authority at the properties to which they are assigned, although all arrests must be transported via BPD, and must be booked at BPD area stations. Good learning experience if you find a reputable company to work for, and dont get in over your head.

·
Registered
103 Posts
To Add to csauce30

Boston Police Specials are only allowed to carry .38 cal revolvers with 158 grain lead hollow point ammo, unless your department is classified under 400a...Then you can carry an semi-auto handgun and I don't believe any dept is except BHA Police and Municipal Police.

I worked Harbor Point for a SHORT time and it's not the place for revolvers (Trust Me). ](*,)

Ed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is Harbor Point and what makes it a bad place? Just want to know before I accept any employment there. Thanx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.