Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A bill in the Pennsylvania Senate would allow local police to use radar to catch speeders.

Pennsylvania is the only state that doesn't permit municipal police to use radar, the York Daily Record reported.

Local police have instead resorted to using such devices as laser reflectors. They are sophisticated versions of the old stopwatch method of calculating speed. A timer is used to track a vehicle as it crosses a light beam and stops after passing a second beam a certain distance apart. From this, the vehicle's average speed is quickly calculated.

The accuracy of these devices is often challenged.

Bills to permit municipalities to instead use radar have died over the past half-century amid concerns that local officers won't be properly trained and some departments would write a flurry of tickets to boost local coffers.

Sen. Robert Thompson, R-Chester, revived the effort this year to permit radar only by full-time officers on full-time forces and require passage of a local ordinance to use it.

Local governments would keep fines that equal 5 percent of their annual budget. The rest would go to a state fund for highway repairs.

SB285 is in the Senate Transportation Committee.

·
1,334 Posts
That is the dumbest story I have seen in a long time and just shows how some politicians can be so short sighted and just plain clueless about the decisions they make. Worried about officers being trained in how to work the radar? Train them properly then! How about allowing all officers to perform radar? Last I checked traffic control is a function of the police, whether full-time or part-time/reserve. I am sure if there was a shooting, domestic, B&E, larceny, robbery, etc. where the citizens (hoytie toytie politicians especially) were in jeopardy of life and limb they would not be stopping the officer at the door asking their employment status. This is just dumb. Were not talking about high tech stuff here, the use of radar has been around a long time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.