1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TASER BILL

The following "Taser Bill" has been signed by the House and Senate and
is expected to be signed by the Governor on Thursday. There is an
emergency preamble with this bill so it will go into effect immediately.
However, it will not be legal for officers to use Tasers until such time
the Secretary of EOPS establishes a CMR governing the sale of the
tasars, and the training of officers in their use. In addition, EOPS must
develop a protocol for the collection of data pursuant to the weapon
being used. While EOPS plans to expedite the regulation process, it will
not be done in time for the DNC. Note that even if an officer has
completed Tasar training in another state prior to this bill being passed,
that training must still be approved by the secretary. As such, it
will still be some time before Tasars can be legally carried or employed
by law enforcement in MA.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: TASER BILL

What's everyone's view on Tasers? Are they going to be useful? Helpful when deployed on our doped-up "clientel" maybe? Or are they one more thing to try to fit on a duty belt? With MA being the goofy State that it is....Is there any possibility that having tasers available to officers could be a detriment? For instance, God forbid you actually have to use your sidearm, will you be questioned why you didnt attempt to taser the guy with the RPG?? The bad guys don't mean it after all…They just need a hug.

On the other hand, given the scenario of attempting to subdue someone doped-up, this could be a true lifesaver....Just questions from someone who's never used one. Could be the best tool ever. Thoughts?

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts

Hopefully it will be an option for Unarmed Campus departments.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Local police applaud stun gun bill

By Jill Harmacinski and Meredith Warren

Staff writers

Distraught over a bad break-up, the man had barricaded himself in his car in a Danvers parking lot. He was armed with a knife, and repeatedly threatened to kill himself. Police spent hours negotiating with him before he finally surrendered.

Had it been legal, police could have zapped the man with a high-voltage stun gun, neutralizing the potentially deadly situation in seconds.

"Any level of force that's less than lethal we should have been able to use a long time ago," Danvers Police Capt. Neil Ouellette said.

Gov. Mitt Romney signed a bill yesterday allowing police to use the high-voltage weapons against suspects. Massachusetts becomes the 49th state to allow stun guns. New Jersey is now the only state where they are illegal.

"It's an excellent, less-than-lethal-force tool that in certain circumstances could make a difference in injuries or death -- upon the person it is used on, or the officer," Middleton Police Chief Paul Armitage said.

State Rep. Joyce Spiliotis, D-Peabody, said the law would allow police officers to protect themselves with fewer possibilities of injuries. "It's a really positive thing for local police departments," she said.

Although he supported the bill, fellow State Rep. Ted Speliotis, D-Danvers, thinks the use of stun guns should be closely monitored to make sure police aren't using them unless it is absolutely necessary.

"I'm curious to see what effect this will have in the next few years," he said. "We need to study the impact of this."

A great addition

Ouellette said a stun gun would be a great addition to the array of weapons a police officer now carries. Those weapons include a revolver, pepper spray and baton.

"It's a necessary tool and we should have had it years ago," he said.

Criminals are using the guns, Ouellette said, pointing to an armed robbery at the Northshore Mall a decade ago in which a Brinks guard was jolted and robbed of a bag of cash.

Armitage said stun guns can be used to quell a variety of dangerous situations, and they are safer than police batons.

"When you have somebody who is extremely intoxicated or suffering from some sort of mental psychosis, who will not listen to reason or is immune to pepper spray, the officer has to use the baton," Armitage said. "And once you do that, someone is going to get hurt. Bones will get broken."

The guns, known as Tasers because of leading manufacturer TASER International, work by shooting darts attached to thin wires into a suspect from up to 21 feet away. The darts zap suspects with up to 50,000 volts of electricity, instantly causing them to lose control of their muscles and giving police time to apply handcuffs.

The weapon does not injure nerves, muscles or any other body part, according to TASER International, and the company claims no deaths have ever been directly attributed to the weapon.

Armitage said the use of a Taser gun is "obviously better than hitting people with a piece of metal."

Beverly Police Chief John Cassola agrees. "It's a good weapon and it's not lethal," he said.

He noted that some individuals are completely immune to pepper spray. Use of a stun gun would give police another way to safely neutralize a situation. "From the demonstrations I've seen, stun guns are very effective," he said.

Ouellette stressed that stun guns won't turn up on local streets overnight. Officers must undergo special training to understand the stun gun's power and proper use.

"Training will be key," he said.

Staff writer Jill Harmacinski can be reached at (978) 338-2652 or by e-mail at [email protected].

·
Registered
447 Posts

OK boys and girls no using your new toy (taser) to cook hotdogs in the middle of the night. LOL 8O

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Ahhh...the less-than-lethal weapon used on Rodney King! Good thing it worked and the cops didn't have to use their defensive batons...imagine the outrage, not to mention riots, that were avoided thanks to the stun gun! I hope the manufacturers are savvy enough to use the arrest video when they market this product! 8)

Ditto for OC spray!

As for me....make mine Maglite! :D

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I think the worst part of this might be the fact that we may need to actually get "tased" to use it. Just like OC, gotta get sprayed - so now we can get jolted by 50,000 volts - SWEET! :shock:

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
RPD931 @ 7/16/2004 5:04:32 PM said:
I think the worst part of this might be the fact that we may need to actually get "tased" to use it. Just like OC, gotta get sprayed - so now we can get jolted by 50,000 volts - SWEET! :shock:
If that would ever be the case they can keep their dam stun guns!

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Gil @ Fri 16 Jul said:
RPD931 @ 7/16/2004 5:04:32 PM said:
If that would ever be the case they can keep their dam stun guns!
Gil, According to everything I have read on the Training for them Officers should expect a 1-1.5 second hit by it. The good thing is according to the Taser International website the probs dont need to stick in you for it to work.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
1 to 1.5 I guess is not that bad but 50,000 volts for training??? I remember doing something like that in science class in seventh grade and it was nowhere near 50,000 volts, still was the shock of a lifetime. If I can get documentation on the class can I get a waiver? :lol:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hopefully that "hit" will be a one time thing, like the pepper spray. I don't think many would enjoy that experience once a year. I think it might be a good "tool" for us to have, but, just one more thing I can't fit comfortably on my belt and one more training thing we have to deal with.

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
We've had TASERS for the past year and they are a great tool. We all had to get tased to be certified and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I've been OC'd 3 times and I'd rather get sprayed 10 more times before getting tased again. You don't need to be shot with the darts, you can have them taped on and you'll receive the same effect, which is probably worse than getting shot due to the fact that they are taped further apart then when they are shot, which has a greater effect on you.

Good luck and I hope Mass allows you to start carrying them. FYI you can still OC someone while your tasing them :D . You can also tase 2 bad guys at the same time!!
Also, you only have to be tased once in your lifetime, its not a yearly event, thank God!

Stay safe!!!

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
:up: I wanna know who the moron was who thought up the idea of being hit with the Taser or Sprayed with the OC. Someone should find that person and make them get shot (like with a real gun) "to see what it feels like". How goddamn stupid. If the suspect gets tased he/she probly deserved it. Screw them

WIll officers have to get hit with a Baton next?

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
I still believe that the company is using the police as guinea pigs for liability purposes. When someone dies after being tased, the company can defend their product by showing the thousands of police officers who were tased without dying. Although people have died after being tased, there have been zero deaths attributed to the taser alone. Hopefully a cop is not the first!! You can taser people with pacemakers or pregnant women without an adverse affect.

I don't buy the argument that one needs to be tased in order to use the product. Unlike OC, you will not be able to fight or defend yourself while your being zapped.

Stay safe!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
OK, this [email protected]#$ has got to stop! :evil:

We don't have to be struck with a baton to be certified to use it.
We don't have to be shot to be qualified with our various firearms.

I agree the taser will be a good tool to have, but I think we all should simply refuse to be tased for certification. Get the unions involved, and when the taser companies can't sell the things in MA because none of the cops are undergoing the cert process, they will do what they have to do in order to change the cert process.

My .02
Ryan

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
I don't think the company requires one to be tasered to be certified, I believe you only have to observe someone being tasered and pass an exam. It's usually the agency's policy that requires the officer to be zapped.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Tasers authorized, doesn't mean 100% deployed by every Department.
I say let the Unions take the lead with what they troops want!
More equipment/training=More $$$$ Works for me!
:lol:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts

Grrrrreat!

Let's rewrite the force continum and add another worry to the paranoia pot!
:p

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
Any POs out there have any opinion on where Tasers are gonna fall on the Use of Force Scale I have heard anywhere between 3 and 5 My two cents is level 4 would be a good place. The other concern that comes to my mind is and these things ok to use during inclement weather ie, rain,snow, and ice?

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Taser falls in the SAME level as Chemical Spray from the research I have done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.