Local Military Policeman Killed In Iraq | Page 2 | MassCops

Local Military Policeman Killed In Iraq

Discussion in 'Military News' started by Simon, Jan 23, 2009.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

[​IMG] Feb 2, 2009 5:38 pm US/Eastern

Rockland Soldier Laid To Rest

[​IMG] Reporting
    Bill Shields

ROCKLAND (WBZ) ―

[​IMG]

As the caisson made it's way to Holy Family Church, a lone bag-piper played a series of mournful tunes, as military personnel snapped to attention, and residents covered their hearts with their hands. WBZ
    1 of 3

[​IMG]

Matthew Pollini was married on Dec. 22 and had only recently begun a 1-year deployment in Iraq. WBZ
    2 of 3

[​IMG]

The 772nd Military Police Company is shown here during a send-off to Fort Dix in October 2008. 772nd Military Police Company
    3 of 3

People stood shoulder to shoulder on Union Street in Rockland on Monday -- many waving American flags -- as the funeral procession for Spc. Matt Pollini made its way through town. One onlooker said, "I didn't know the young man, but I just wanted to pay my respects to his family. It's a terrible thing."

Pollini died last month while serving at forward operating base Delta, near al-Kut, Iraq. The Massachusetts National Guard says Pollini's vehicle rolled over, and that the accident is still being investigated. "He served with distinction and valor, in a position that many other soldiers did not clamor for," said Gen. Joe Carter of the National Guard.

Spc. Pollini was a turret gunner on a jeep-styled fighting vehicle.

The 21-year-old was deployed in October and got married four days before leaving Rockland. His widow could be seen walking with other family members behind the horse-drawn caisson.

As the caisson made it's way to Holy Family Church, a lone bag-piper played a series of mournful tunes, as military personnel snapped to attention, and residents covered their hearts with their hands.

One onlooker said, "It's a tribute to the town that this many people came out to pay their respects, and it's difficult for a small town like Rockland."

http://wbztv.com/local/Matthew.Pollini.funeral.2.924288.html

2. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

Rest in Peace PFC Pollini, my condolences to the Pollini family

3. JMody

JMody Special...

I carried my companies guidon during the procession. I gotta say it was definitely a sobering experience.

R.I.P. Brother.