Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking if any know where i can find a list of town with aux/res officers? I know alot of the depts in the western part of the state have them but does anyone know what depts south of boston have them? Also do you need to wait until the annouce a vacany or is it more towards open enrollment for aux/res thanks for the help

·
Registered
43 Posts
MGH_PD said:
i was looking if any know where i can find a list of town with aux/res officers? I know alot of the depts in the western part of the state have them but does anyone know what depts south of boston have them? Also do you need to wait until the annouce a vacany or is it more towards open enrollment for aux/res thanks for the help
I say your best bet is to look at the dept websites and see if they have aux or res .

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Attleboro conducts an auxiliary academy every September, (just got it underway) they graduate in May (two nights a week)

Ashland Auxiliary Police
Attleboro Auxiliary Police
Barre Reserve Police
Bridgewater State College Reserve Police
Cambridge Auxiliary Police
Fall River Auxiliary Police
Framingham Auxiliary Police
Freetown Auxiliary Police
Freetown Reserve Police
Groton Auxiliary / Reserve Police
Hamilton Auxiliary Police
Haverhill Auxiliary Police
Holyoke Reserve and Auxiliary Police
Randolph Auxiliary Police
Rockland Auxiliary Police
Southwick Auxiliary Police
Somerville Auxiliary Police
Waltham Auxiliary Police
Wayland Auxiliary Police
Winthrop Auxiliary Police

·
Registered
456 Posts
Very old info (~20 years), so worth checking to see if it is still valid:

Best Aux. program that I have ever heard of (info from an Aux. and a FT Sgt. who I met) was in Wayland. [I know it's not anywhere near the South Shore, oh well!]

- Wayland Aux. program was run by a FT Sgt. on the PD, rotating leadership amongst the Sgts. on the job. Thus, no problems with the FT POs/union . . . if there is a real problem it is handled immediately, if it is BS the complainant is told to stuff it!

- If you wanted to become a rescue diver, they will train and outfit you. You are obligated to come out when they need help. It's not a "free ride".

- They have a real budget for the Aux.. program. They run 2 fund-raisers/year for additional funding of the program.

- They are fully outfitted, well run, very spiffy uniforms/equipment (not a "rag tag army" look), very professional operation.

- They require a commitment of at least 4 hrs/week to remain in the program.

If I lived anywhere near there, this is the one department that I'd join in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I know that Stoughton has both Aux and Special Police.

Foxboro also has some reserve element, not sure what they are called. Last I heard (~7 years ago) they were extremely selective and it was difficult to get on there (that info came directly from the Chief).

Checking websites to see if the PD is on them and if they mention anything about a Aux/Special/Reserve unit is a good idea. However, few PDs (in my experience) keep their info up to date and even fewer actually respond to Email.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Bellingham Police has a great Aux./Reserve Dept. but they only hire in January.

Wayland has another great Aux. Dept. and it is run by a full-time Officer, he is agreat guy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Randolph Aux. Dept is very good. Unless things have changed, you volunteer for Sunday am Church crossings and can do "patrols" on Friday and Saturday nights. You have to buy your leather gear/firearm but the uniforms are issued. It's a great place to start, it was great to me!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am an Auxiliary Officer in Wayland and it is the most active Auxiliary Unit around. We ride either two Auxiliaries to a car or ride with a FT Officer. We patrol the entire town, checking building and properties owned by the town. We also assist the FT officers during calls for service (domestics,MVA's,Alarm calls etc). The Program is headed by a FT Officer, he is an excellent leader and really backs up his Auxiliariy Officers. If you really want to gain some experience and training go to our webpage and fill out the application. We will be looking to fill a few open slots soon. If you have any questions drop me a line.

ogzee28:cool:

·
Woggalicious!
277 Posts
As one of the FT Officers working with the Waltham Auxiliary I'd like to think ours rates right up there with anyone. However, we do not carry firearms. Nor will we anytime soon. The state accreditation doesn't permit two armed dept's within the Polcie Department. The Auxiliaries in Waltham volunteer an average of 16-24 hours a month on road races, cancer walks, domestic violence fund raisers, etc. We pay for all your gear, we send you to the Reserve Academy (We just graduated one). We will also train you in everything from D.T. to Firearms to Patrol Procedures. I may be biased but I'd say no Aux dept. in the State can touch our training. That's how we rope em in! Hehe. Aux Officers are allowed to do ride alongs, but again they are not armed.

Try this link if you're interested. Be advised though you get the same background check our FT'ers get. If you've ever passed gas in church, we will find out. No yahoos need apply. If you think you're going to come in with a cocky attitude or less than respectful demeanor you WILL be tossed out on your ass.

http://www.city.waltham.ma.us/wpdweb/WalthamPDWeb/AuxRecruit.html

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mansfield has a great reserve program. Plenty of details (Road, Tweeter Ctr., Special Details) Armed, Fully Equipped, and annual In-Service and Firearms training. Chief prefers to hire from In-Town and has started pulling new hires from full-time list, but has recently hired a few from out of town.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Framingham is a strong Aux. unit also, but I believe residency is required. Aux Capt. can touchbase on this one. As far as Wayland Aux goes, they are top notch! I've attended in-service with some of them, great guys and gal. Good training and I believe they also do search and rescue stuff too, not sure. There are a couple folks on this board that can shed light on that.
As far as the South, Randolph and Attleboro are the only ones that come to mind. Quincy used to be one of the Best Aux out there, but for whatever reason the got disbanded sometime ago.

I started in the field via Natick Auxiliary sometime ago. It was weak, but the guys were dedicated. The dept. never really gave us anything for a budget so we were on our own for alot of stuff. The Police Chief and brass has always been supportive but whenever they would want to get us "more involved" it would become a "union issue". There are a few full-timers that were supportive and were like mentors to alot of us. Some of them had no problem taking us on ride alongs, but they were only a FEW. training was often poor, although the Auxiliary brass did a good job making sure the Aux Officers knew their roles. It was a fun experience as well as an educational one. But it deserves a lot more support.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
The Framingham Auxiliary Police is an elite group of approximately 25 volunteers who give of themselves to make Framingham a better place to live and work. The mission of the Framingham Auxiliary Police is to be trained and prepared to assist the Framingham Police in the event of a civil or natural disaster. Our auxiliary officer training begins with a Reserve/Intermittent police academy run by the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Training Council. After graduating from the academy, the auxiliary officers are trained in first aid and CPR/AED. After completing the initial regimen of training, our auxiliary officers continue their training in the field by helping out at numerous community activities in Framingham, helping out at the Police Station, Community Substations, and on training patrols.

History:
The Framingham Auxiliary Police was originally formed during World War II as there was a need for air-raid wardens to be trained and available should the country be attacked. Unfortunately, the need to protect our country has renewed focus from terrorist threats and actions. The auxiliary police stand as a ready reserve, part of our Emergency Management infrastructure, to assist in case of natural or civil disaster. As part of our ongoing training, we help out at community and civic events year-round as well as assist the Framingham Police Department as requested.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts