Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeking information on what your state or municipality gives to families of law enforcement officers who are killed in the line of duty.

I'm aware that Massachusetts gives the spouse, a 100% pension. Are there any additional lump sum payments (in addition the the payment issued by the Federal government)? Does your town or city pay for burial expenses?

I am moving forward on collecting information in order to change our current city ordinance which provides a 50% pension for those killed in the line of duty. The state contributes a lump sum payment in the area of $250,000, while the city provides a $5,000 lump sum payment to cover burial expenses.

I'm seeking to get a picture of what the national standard is in this area or at least the standard is in New England.

Thank you.

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
Sully,
I can unfortunately speak from experience on this one, having my own father die recently and it be ruled as a line of duty death. The way I understand it, it is broken down two ways. A 100% line of duty death is a death that results from direct work related activities i.e. had heartattack while on duty, died fighting a fire, shot at a bank robbery etc. etc. If that were a case, a widow would recieve in MA a full 100% pension plus ALL contributions that member made to his/her retirement. The state kicks in $25K and the feds kicks in approx. $246K. Burial expenses are not covered by MGL but are sometimes covered by collective bargaining agreements. Usually under $5k.

There is also a line of duty death which is 72%. This is covered under The Presumptive Heart and Lung Bill for police officers and firefighters. If a police officer or firefighter died while off duty and it is ruled that death was heart or lung related a widow will recieve a 72% pention, plus ALL contributions made to the retirement system. The state kicks in $12,500 and the feds $0, unless the death was within 24 hours of their last shift. Again, burial expenses and any other money, at least in our situation, has been due to collective bargaining agreements.

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
Another question on death benifits; I am currently on active duty in Iraq.

1. Am I covered in any way by my town or the state?

2. Isn't there something like a Survivors type group or fund that assists families? I believe this was covered in the academy (informally) but would like to know a bit more.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts