Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently work full-time in an unrelated field however I am seeking to get on a department as a reserve/auxiliary.

I know police work comes with a lot of liability, and I have been told that most police officers are sued at least once if not multiple times throughout their career.

Being a reserve or auxiliary, would the department cover me if I were to be sued?

Do you as a full-time or reserve/auxiliary officer carry any sort of liability insurance to cover you in the event you are sued?

Just looking for advice here, I would really like to get some experience working in law enforcement however I have to look out for myself/family as well. Any advice/input appreciated.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Specials and reserves are usually not covered under police unions but I'm sure there would be representation provided by the town if you find yourself in that situation providing you havent done something totally ridiculous. Do yourself a favor and join the legal defense fund. Its $150 a year and you will be provided free attorneys to represent you end up the defendant in a suit.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
What's the comparison rates now?

MPA-$250
Masscops-$250
FOP-$215
Bay State-?

I think these are the latest. ANY cop whatever agency, should have protection!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Our auxiliary officers are covered by the town but not the union, but I have talked to people from other municipalities, and it does vary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts