Lexington police testing | MassCops

Lexington police testing

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by Je621, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Je621

Je621 New Member

Not sure if this is right place to ask this, so forgive me if it's not, the recruitment flyer for Lexington's test next month indicated they had 4 open positions, however they just graduated 4 from Northern Essex Academy this past week, anyone know if they are the 4 the posting referred to?? Those 4 plus another 4 seems like a lot of openings at one time for a 40-50 officer department.

2. res2244

res2244 MassCops Member

I feel like those 4 that just graduated are probably folks who got hired last year cause LPD seems to have 4 openings available for this year according to Policeapp as shown in the link below. The deadline for the test and PAT seems to be in mid August. I could be wrong but I don’t think it would hurt to maybe reach out to a command staff member to inquiry about openings.

Check out this new job I found on PoliceApp.com!

3. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Expect a lot more turnover like that in every department.

GARDA, Joel98 and Goose like this.
  4. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Between advertising, testing, backgrounds, conditional offers, psych, academy, and field training it takes about a year to get officers on the road to the point where they can somewhat work on their own. The learning continues...and that's if it can be timed right for the start of an academy and seats can be secured in it. It's a long process. They might also start off with the intention of hiring four and need twice that by the time the officers are finished with training.

For anyone looking to get into LE right now, it's a good time to get hired but be prepared to put up with more BS than you ever imagined and have a plan B and C in case things don't work out. For every cop getting hired, there are at least four more who want out but can't earn enough money doing something (really, anything) else.

jjm98, GARDA, Joel98 and 3 others like this.
  5. Tailon630

Tailon630 MassCops Member

LPD is down like 10-12 officers total. So w/ 4 graduating band 4 more to go. They’re still behind. Ppl use them for the academy and go where they please after.

6. Je621

Je621 New Member

Tailon 630, thank you for the information related to the actual question

Tailon630 likes this.
  7. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Me :mad: lol

Goose likes this.
  8. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

Used to be that you had to pass a psych test to get on. Now it’s like you have to be a little bit crazy just to want the job.
    I’m still glad I chose this field, and still want to move onto a bigger department than where I am now, but it’s a tough time for our job for sure

GARDA, mpd61, Goose and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

Just curious as to why guys bounce? Is it because it's a money town with not a lot going on and new guys want more action? Or are the residents just uppity and the department worries more about you wearing your hat and you're constantly micromanaged? Not flaming but actually curious.

mpd61 and AB7 like this.
  10. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Their contract sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

Roger that. I know what that's like..

j809 likes this.
  12. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Don't they have funky hats too?

mpd61 and j809 like this.
  13. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Not quite as funky as this;
    [​IMG]

14. res2244

res2244 MassCops Member

upload_2020-7-13_0-6-20.jpeg

:D

mpd61 and LA Copper like this.
  15. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

I like the cowboy hats with the Texas folks, they actually look kinda cool, especially since the color scheme matches.

As for the white, hats on the Cincinnati folks, not so much. Apparently there are a number of departments who like the color white in Ohio. Columbus has white hats and white shirts. Not such a good idea in police work, especially at night.

PBC FL Cop, mpd61 and res2244 like this.
  16. res2244

res2244 MassCops Member

Adding on to what you mentioned, I think NYPD has a white patrol shirt that executive officers usually wear

PBC FL Cop and 02136colonel like this.
  17. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

I remember a Cops episode way back in like 89-90 when the Cincinnati cops looked like the good humor ice cream guys on summer nights with those white shirts/hats combo..................

PBC FL Cop and LA Copper like this.
  18. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

They do. Lts and above are in white shirts. A number of Departments do that, though thankfully the number is decreasing. A white shirt is a great way to make yourself a target, not to mention guaranteed to get filthy by the end of a shift. I guess if you have an Lt that sits behind a desk for 8 hours, whites ok, but for a working Lt who goes out in the field, blue is the way to go.
    Plus, we’re all on the same team, we should have the same uniform (obviously rank insignia makes sense to have).

LA Copper and mpd61 like this.
  19. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

LPD has an authorized strength of 50 sworn FT. The four who graduated last week still only bring them up to 46.
    There are currently four more vacancies and likely more to follow. In this anti-LE climate there are many PD's who are having trouble keeping their stables full of good horses, and frankly who can blame them. I wish you good luck.
    Feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer any of your other LPD Q's.

Joel98 likes this.
  20. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

a working LT? I’ve never seen one of those....

PG1911, Bloodhound and 02136colonel like this.
  21. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Come out to LA for a visit and I'll introduce you to a bunch. Our lieutenants work their butts off, although generally not in the streets unless the riots are going on.

Joel98 and Goose like this.