Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone stop anyone who gets beligerent and demands to see the radar unit? Anyone got any good stories? I know you could get someone on disorderly if they get out and refuse to re-enter thier MV. Comm. v. Bosk. I had one today, the guy wouldn't pull over at first. Followed him with lights and siren for about half mile. Told me he wanted to stop at a better spot, which ended up to be a blind corner. Gee thanks :BM: Then he claims he wasn't speeding and then had the nerve to ask me "how come you didn't write me a warning?" Then he requested to see my radar unit. :L: That one will be OT for MV appeals hearing. I think for one out of every 10 cars you stop there is always one difficult jerk.

·
Registered
109 Posts
when i was at my other job i averaged about 50 speeders a month. i found that the ones who argued the most, or gave me problems pled guilty in court or prepaid. there were always those few that would plead not guilty but thats just part of the job.
my theory is let them bitch about it, that way they feel like someone is hearing them. as long as you are professional and courtious, you will be treated the same.

·
Registered
109 Posts
oh to keep on topic, i never allowed anyone to see my radar unit. the way i was trained we didn't lock the number in. however, when using the lidar the number is locked in and the judges wanted us to allow people to see it. looking back about 3 people asked to see it.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,803 Posts
Bottom line is there is no requirement for you to show the violator your radar. I wouldn't let anyone back to my car unless I was giving them a ride!
:p

·
Registered
144 Posts
If they ask to see it, a simple "No" has always worked for me. [-(

BTW - If these people think or suspect I am making up the speed that I tell them, then why couldn't I just lock in a high speed number and keep using it whenever I stop someone. If I'm gonna make something up to "get them" why not go all the way. There are way too many people out there doing stuff I can stop them for, believe me people, I don't make this stuff up! [-X

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't know about the MSP, but the Reading Academy only certified you in estimations in radar along with a "familiarization" with radar. You have to complete an additional 16 hours by a "certified" radar instructor in order to be "certified" in radar! This of course is from a late 90's academy, maybe things have changed...anyone have any info on Reading or other academies?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts