Lessons Learned From Responding to an Active Shooter Incident | MassCops

Lessons Learned From Responding to an Active Shooter Incident

Discussion in 'War Stories' started by Hush, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

(reposted from another forum) Some great info and insights. Good starting point for a discussion on YOUR gear/thoughts/tactics. Do YOU ride with hard armor up front? Rifle? Can you access both while responding to a call? Do you have access to basic breaching tools, or do you have to wait for a supervisor or specially equipped car? Do you have your own gear, or is it all dept issued? Have you modified gear in a way worth sharing? Have you responded to a call where you needed something, but didn't have it? Have you added that equipment to your patrol bag?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Without going into detail, I can check “Respond to an Active Shooter Incident” off of my career experiences. It was an eye-opening and learning experience.

My take-aways:

- there needs to be an actual hands-on training for Supervisory level response to these incidents. Managing the first wave is “easy”: seek and destroy. The response unraveled a bit during the “second wave”. Supervisors need to do there job and supervise. If you’re not inside with the first wave, then you need to be coordinating the effort outside: form additional teams for contact/rescue elements, establish a command post AND casualty collection point if it hasn’t happened, keep lanes open for ambulances to get to the CCP and then out, etc. No one Incident Commander can do all this and feel free to step the fuck up and get it done instead of waiting to be told to handle it. Come to the IC with problems solved, not additional problems needing his decision. I’ve never seen so much brass standing in one place staring at the sun while patrol guys with PCs and rifles stood there just waiting to be led/ assigned work

- absolutely, positively have breaching equipment ATTACHED to your plate carrier, ala the modified Stanly FUBAR (paging Lobsterclaw for his write up as I think it was you). We were fortunate that the scene we were working had a robust hardware department and we simply commandeered breaching tools. We were simply lucky, I will not leave it to luck or remembering to grab the cumbersome assed halligan again

- practice putting on your PC and unracking your rifle while driving. Doing this under “less” stress is advantageous when compared to trying to do it after arriving on scene when your brain is trying to process sheer chaos. I was thankful that I’m a toolbox and regularly practice donning my plates so it’s second nature and doesn’t require any of my available mental RAM as I don’t have much to spare. I jumped out of my car ready to rock and roll while some other guys literally had to figure out which side of their PC was the front.

- never, ever, ever get complacent. Again, without too much detail, I was not assigned to my normal patrol duties at the time and was in a polo and BDU pants. But, I was driving a marked patrol car and therefore still strapped on spare pistol mags and put my patrol bag with my PC in the car. I am infinitely pleased that I made that decision.

I’m not starting this as an “I love me” thread. I’m just trying to pass on some hard learned lessons.

Please, anyone with useful information is cleared hot to post away.

Stay frosty...

Drebbin and Goose like this.