Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Alien Member
17,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Legend played banjo during brain op

A veteran bluegrass legend played banjo while surgeons operated on his brain.

Eddie Adcock, 70, was kept awake to perform while surgeons probed the cause of a hand tremor, reports The Sun.

They gave him only local anaesthetic so they could see the effect of the operation on his playing.

Eddie is famous as a bluegrass virtuoso thanks to his livewire plucking style, but he feared his days as a maestro were over.

However, thanks to the op, filmed by docs at Vanderbilt University Medical Centre near his Nashville home, he is lining up fresh gigs.

Dr Joseph Neimat said: "I knew we would be able to control the tremor. It was returning the dexterity back to his level of play that was really a tall order."

His tremor is now controlled by a pacemaker implanted in his chest, which delivers a jolt of electricity to jam the affected part of his brain.

Eddie said: "It was risky but playing means that much to me. I never went through hell like this. But I couldn't bear giving up the banjo."

Wife Martha, 52, who also plays a mean banjo, was the first to spot his tremor two years ago: "I noticed his skills were not the same."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3049045.html?menu=

1 - 1 of 1 Posts