Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I bought a vehicle earlier this year from someone. The car overall is nice however the horn is complete shit. It's super quiet and sounds really feminine if you know what I mean. I purchased a siren box that has a air horn on it (specifically for the horn) and mounted the whole box under my seat so I cannot just hit the siren while driving or bump it accidentally. I wired up my horn to the siren box so when I hit my horn the air horn goes. My question is whether or not I'm allowed to use that as a horn. I'm an explorer with my local police dept training and hoping to one day be able to serve my community. So I'm trying to keep my nose clean and don't want to do anything that will end up on my record. Please let me know what you know. Thank you guys

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
so I bought a vehicle earlier this year from someone. The car overall is nice however the horn is complete shit. It's super quiet and sounds really feminine if you know what I mean. I purchased a siren box that has a air horn on it (specifically for the horn) and mounted the whole box under my seat so I cannot just hit the siren while driving or bump it accidentally. I wired up my horn to the siren box so when I hit my horn the air horn goes. My question is whether or not I'm allowed to use that as a horn. I'm an explorer with my local police dept training and hoping to one day be able to serve my community. So I'm trying to keep my nose clean and don't want to do anything that will end up on my record. Please let me know what you know. Thank you guys
Shouldn't you have waited to get the answer before installing it? I'm sure an Officer at the Department you are an explorer for could easily answer this question.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shouldn't you have waited to get the answer before installing it? I'm sure an Officer at the Department you are an explorer for could easily answer this question.
I actually have a ride along tonight and im going to ask him as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The short of it is... why do you need an air horn and the traditional horn is insufficient, regardless of who you are or your affiliations?

·
Registered
581 Posts
You changed your horn because it was too feminine...

Holy shit you have problems.

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
It wasnt that it didnt work or was broken, its just this particular model has a quiet wimpy horn.
Lots of cars have two horns (a high note and a low note). One of yours may not be working.

On the other hand you might just be fucked if you have a Honda or Subaru because I think they only havea single horn.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It wasnt that it didnt work or was broken, its just this particular model has a quiet wimpy horn.
So let me get this straight...

Instead of taking the super cheap and simple route of going to a junkyard and getting a replacement horn ($5 or so)...

...or going on eBay and getting a brand new horn from a reseller of Chinese imports ($10 or so)...

...or going to the JC Whitney catalog/website and getting a fancy new horn ($25-50)...

...you chose to go the most complicated and expensive route and buy a siren box with air horn ($50-100), a speaker for same ($50-100), wiring, time and labor to run the wires, etc...

And you can not admit that you are a whacker?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts