Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject: Law Enforcement visit with Nathan Norman in Virginia
-
Our brothers with the Virginia State Police are looking for help in making the Christmas wish of a young boy come true. Nathan Norman of Rustburg Virginia has terminal cancer and has a special Christmas wish. He has asked for Christmas cards from police, fire, and EMS personnel. While sending a card is a wonderful gesture and show of support to this young boy and his family over the Christmas season I believe we can do one better. The Burlington Police Honor Guard is attempting to organize a police response where department uniform representatives in marked vehicles respond to hand deliver the Christmas cards on Thursday December 20th.

-

I have been in contact with the Virginia State Police liaison to the family as well as Nathan's mother and been given the green light on this. Tentatively, we'd like to meet and travel down in one large caravan early on Wednesday December 19th. We'll stay over at a local Marriott (working with a connection now), visit with Nathan and his family on Thursday December 20th , and then head home. Logistically the caravan may be difficult however if we can get officers down to Virginia by Thursday morning we can work on finding an appropriate staging area to meet before heading to the residence. (Rustburg, VA is due west of Richmond)

-

Please, if at all possible, could you dedicate or see if one member of your department would be available to respond in a huge show of support to young Nathan and his family. Any Honor Guard presence would be greatly appreciated.

-

This may seem like a tall order but we have an awesome job with an awesome responsibility. Some times that gets lost in the day to day cynicism of the job. Going above and beyond a young child's Christmas wish and hopefully making him smile in what unfortunately might be his last Christmas may be a reminder to all involved what being a police officer and Christmas is really all about.

-

Please have any member of your department reach out to me ASAP so we can begin coordinating. I can be reached directly ANYTIME day or night at 781-258-9046 or email [email protected]

-

Web link to Nathan's story - Boy Fights Cancer with the Spirit of Christmas

http://www.wset.com/story/19657190/boy-fighting-cancer-with-the-spirit-of-christmas

-

Best to you, your department, and your family over this Christmas Season,

Sgt. Gerard McDonough

Burlington Massachusetts Police

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.