Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — A lawsuit claims the video game "Grand Theft Auto" led a teenager to shoot two police officers and a dispatcher to death in 2003, mirroring violent acts depicted in the popular game.

The suit announced Tuesday seeks damages from the game's manufacturers and two stores that allegedly sold it to Devin Thompson, now 18.

An attorney for relatives of two of the victims said Thompson, who is charged with murder, had played the video game repeatedly.

Thompson is accused of killing the three men in June 2003 after being brought to the Fayette police station on suspicion of driving a stolen car. Thompson allegedly grabbed one of the officer's guns, shot him and the other two, then fled in a patrol car.

The suit alleges Thompson purchased "Grand Theft Auto III" at the Gamestop in Jasper and "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" at the Jasper Wal-Mart when he was under 17. The games, which depict police killings and other acts of violence, are rated M, meaning they are appropriate for those 17 or older.

"What has happened in Alabama is that four companies participated in the training of Devin ... to kill three men," attorney Jack Thompson told The Tuscaloosa News, which reported the suit's filing.

Named in the suit are Wal-Mart Stores and Gamestop along with Take-Two Interactive Software, the manufacturer of the games, and Sony Computer Entertainment, the maker of the PlayStation 2.

Messages left for officials of three of the companies were not immediately returned. There was no answer at the listing for Gamestop in Grapevine, Texas.

At a December hearing, authorities said Devin Thompson, when he was apprehended, told officers, "Life is a video game. You've got to die sometime."

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re: Lawsuit claiming GTA led a teen to kill 2 POs and dispat

My Avatar told me I must respond to this. What a load of bullshit! This old debate never seems to end. I've been playing a lot of Ace Combat 5. I have yet to go to Hanscom, steal a jet, and begin my own personal combat campaign. Maybe if this kid's parents hadn't allowed him to grow up to be a mental case, this wouldn't have happened.

·
Registered
127 Posts

For once I woul like to hear a parent or dirt bag take full responsibility for their actions. But, we all know to well that society is to blame for everyone's own short comings. Whats next a lawyer suing Sports Illustrated because the swimsuit edition caused his client's hands to grow hair and go blind

·
Registered
65 Posts

...... :idea: How about letting the kid take responsibility for his actions.... ](*,) Another example of how lawyers attempt to find a scape goat for their clients actions. I think all of them are hot steaming pieces of $hit, the kid, the lawyer :twisted: and the Parents.

·
Registered
372 Posts

After reading this again, I've noticed that it's at least one of the PO's family members that's going after the manufacturers. Unfortunately, it looks like they're going after where the $$$ is. I can't imagine what it's like for them, or what it would be like for my family, but I'd just rather they bury this kids family in eternal financial ruin, than go after the game maker. :sb:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I read this and thought it was bad enough that this kid(s?) killed 3 people, but they are going after everyone. ONE the parents should be watching the kids more, they should have seen that they were playing this game. TWO it just goes to show that another person is trying to get away with (literally) murder. It makes me literally sick.

I'm so sick of lawyers trying to make a game out of every case. Especially where kids have KILLED someone, or taken life away from someone (Tpr. Englehardt). I just can't believe what the world is coming to. Makes me disgusted in the world.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,767 Posts

baddog,

It's been difficult without reverend Eric hasn't it? Keep your chin up woman! There's always somebody to PM.
:wink:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahahaha. It's true. No one to make fun of anymore. Not that I was ever close to him enough to make fun of him but...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.